The best perk ever

Where do I sign?

My first teaching job the owner said “You have one class with no students.”
Nice and easy I thought. But he was refering to my office.

Ski

A 4-day, 3-night trip to Pangkor Island and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with a stay in a 5-star beach resort and a five-star hotel that was a former palace was a nice perk for my first year.

:sunglasses:

ImaniOU wrote:

[quote]A 4-day, 3-night trip to Pangkor Island and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with a stay in a 5-star beach resort and a five-star hotel that was a former palace was a nice perk for my first year.
[/quote]

Uh, but did you pay for it?

I paid $5000. My boss paid the rest.

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The word you want is not “perk.” It is perquisite, often abbreviated to perq (yes, with a q).

You say it’s often abbreviated to perq but I can’t recall ever having seen it that way. If you look on dictionary.com or Merriam-Webster online you will find nothing for perq, but the appropriate entry for perk.

This from dictionary.com:
"2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p

That definition is simply an acknowledgment that people regularly use the word incorrectly–it is tossed in the bucket with the other colloquialisms.

Edit:

Seeing the abbreviation written as “perk” really does not bother me much. What does bother me is that, in my experience, most people who write the word that way do not even know that they are using an abbreviation; they have never heard of a perquisite. They envision something “perky,” perhaps a line graph with an uptick at the right edge.