The best response to "Thank you". Your welcome?

I’ve noticed that the response to “Thank you” is often “Thanks”, especially in stores. Or maybe any situation where you’re buying something.

[quote=“naijeru”]What Chris said. “You’re welcome,” or “You are most welcome,” or “You are very welcome.” Never “You are welcome.”

I’ve never understood why Taiwanese teachers insist on a “best” answer. There are several phrases that work in response to “Thank you.” Whenever we came upon a situation like this I would sneak in alternate responses and I made sure I graded their homework that lesson.[/quote]

Is that because “you are welcome” sounds artificial and forces to you too?

Yes that’s right, “you are welcome” sounds forced. I wouldn’t freak out if I heard it or anything, but it doesn’t sound natural to me.

It’s not absolutely common, but still used.

But my bros and I back home, as I think a lot of people my age do when kickin it w.da homies, use a little more formal language in an endearing way, like “Hello Sir”, “you are welcome” etc.

I will do this with other foreigners here, if they are older or not from the US they will say “don’t call me sir”, but it was quite normal w.the homies back home. Maybe that’s why “you are welcome” sounds totally normal to me.