The bestest gift ever (under 500nt)

Hi there.

I’m leaving for Canada in a week. A fried in can asked me to bring him something home that you can’t get back in Canada.

At first, this sounded like an easy enough task. Now I find myself posting in a forum for ideas. What I’m looking for is a siple trinket that sums Taiwan up.

Thanks for your time.

TD

Firewater? not the same as in China …

Three words:

Kao

Liang

jiou

and a pack of Long Life milds. :slight_smile:

You can buy some nice carved chinese dragons. My brother paid about NT$2000 for a pair of bloodstone dragons. They are put in the living room to chase away evil spirits. They look really cool.

Take a trip to the night market, they have some really cool chinese house decoration that are hand-made.

hand-made bag?

Jade decoration?

hand-made tea pot, my boss love those, and you can also include some Tien Ren Lose Tea with it.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Three words:

Kao

Liang

jiou[/quote]
Oh you bloody genius! I’ve been trying to think what to get my old man when I head home for his birthday… Gaoliang would be perfect!

Yep. I’m all over the Gaoliung.

I’ll check out a few other things mentioned as well.

One other thing is a can of coke with chinese on it. Some people get a kick out of that crap.

• a box of betel nuts
  • a can of taiwan beer
  • an er-hu
  • flip-flops
  • forget the gaoliang, get whisby
  • a bian dang
  • some “good” local pop music
  • otc-available prescription meds

[quote=“turkey_dinner”]Yep. I’m all over the Gaoliung.

I’ll check out a few other things mentioned as well.

One other thing is a can of coke with Chinese on it. Some people get a kick out of that crap.[/quote]

That’s pretty cool actually.

Once I took a video of 7-11 and my friends were, “Dude, you can buy LIQUOR there!” :slight_smile:

traditional chinese hand puppets. 300 dollars. an american friend came over and when he went back to the states he took about 12 of them with him. you can get Guan Gong - he’s the one with the red face - he’s ‘famous’ from the (Romance of the) Three Kingdoms book (San Guo Zhi) - the puppets are good because you can get a hot student to tell you the story.

Something that is Taipei 101 related. A mini Taipei 101 model.

Be sure to get the tallest mini-Taipei 101 in the world.

Oddly enough, the gift that went over the best for me was the mosquito tennis racket zappers. I brought home about 3 of them one year as gifts, and the next year several people asked me to bring them one.

For some reason, everyone thinks they are hilarious.

A year ago cans of that soft drink named SARS went over real well.

I like bringing those Taiwan farmer hats (several styles) though they’re hard to transport.

Also the NT$50 computer gamer/skype headsets go over real well.
You can get them in the west, but they’re like US$10 - 20.

Let’s not forget the hello kitty magnets, or mascara, or vibrators, for that matter. I think they call it Generation Marketing.