The Biden Presidency

I think you and I would agree that anti-black racism exists in the US and can manifest in the system (I would not go so far as to say the system is fundamentally racist, though), and I also doubt that 1619 is the final solution implied in some of the language on this thread (I would probably not agree with a lot of what 1619 propagates, though).

But oh man, I would not want to read either of those. Have you?

The NYT opinion stuff has gone far enough left that I don’t read it much anymore (there are remnants of good investigative journalism, IMO). And curriculum? Have you read a lot of social justice inspired curriculum documents? I have, and I have read lesson plans for Catholic school trainee teachers, and personally I find them to be very similar.

3 Likes

Until racism is gone, the beatings will continue.

1 Like

I’ve read all the nyt material, what I could find on the curriculum, and a lot of the criticism of it. It seems, overall, to be very solid.

It is to me, obvious, that systemic racism exists in the U.S. That sounds different to me than the system is fundamentally racist; I’m not sure if you draw that distinction. I don’t read anyone here saying / implying the 1619 project is the final solution (lousy choice of words btw) to anything.

I find the nyt to have a left leaning editorial bias, but to be basically solid, fact based journalism. (All articles that seeks to provide insight will have a bias - that’s not inherently a problem. The problem is bullshit claiming to be facts (see the likes of Tucker)). The editorial/ opinion pages don’t bother me if the journalism is solid - I can even overlook some of the talking head nonsense on fox news and recognize that their (actual) news division is solid (but I don’t watch them except when I have no choice, as I won’t support an organization so cynical that they’d let their ridiculous personalities masquerade as news).

1 Like

I feel this is getting a bit off topic, I opened a thread with a link to reading material for the 1619 project, please feel free to discuss there.

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: The 1619 Project

A post was merged into an existing topic: The 1619 Project

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: The 1619 Project

How very fucking typical.

So far Biden appears to be following a better path than Obama, in that he is initiating a bigger stimulus and not trying to compromise with Republicans who are not interested in compromise.
I guess those four years of serving as Veep made him realize that McConnell & Co. are only interested in tearing down the American economy in order to achieve power.

3 Likes

Like TV in North Korea:

2 Likes

What is the Washington Monument then

5 Likes

“…lights on the National Mall’s reflecting pool are like extensions of Joe Biden’s arms embracing America”

Oh. My. God.

1 Like

Biden’s third outstretched arm?

1 Like

Oh I thought that was a hair on his leg.

Thanks Biden. Big help to me.

3 Likes

Hsiao was invited on the 11th hour. Colour me very surprised.

Edit: actually she was invited last week, MOFA just didn’t disclose it, which is probably a smart move.

4 Likes

1 Like

t minus 84 minutes until joe time

edit from the future: not much changes

1 Like

Biden is older than all of the former presidents attending his inauguration today.

1 Like