The black westerner experience?

Yes, Maoman, you’re absolutely right about the racism and visa aspects. I just wanted to chip in on Anton’s English to give him some well-deserved encouragement.

I have swallowed that bitter pill along time ago. Though I might try to cover it with strawberry jam, it still tasted as bitter. In the long run, one learns to accept a society as it is. A new set of rule. New game to play.

I’m glad that I’m here in Taiwan. My original objectives was to learn the Language. I think I wouldn’t have done better if I were in English environment. Not that I didn’t teach English before maoman. I use to teach for a class of young professional in Rosevelt street helping them ameliorating their spoken English. It was of course a sweet memory. At least I wasn’t that badly discriminated. One of my ex-student later went to Australia to improve her English. Today I must say her English has improved by leaps and bounds. Though she always comes up with new and more difficult question which she always IM me through ICQ, I always try my best to provide answers.

I think I better start teaching Hakkanese. That’s my native language:)

regards,

ax

I don’t remember posting that info. Where did you get it? :?

On a follow up, I love my upper elementary school students because they have interesting views on race and since our curriculum was written to feature the varied ethnicities in America they ask me questions.
After reading a story by a black woman, one student asked, “_______, do you know her?”
I replied that I didn’t. Then another girl piped up, “She’s too fat.” Then realized her mistake and covered by saying, “Of course she doesn’t know __________. She’s much older and she’s uglier too.” The poor girl looked like she might have been dining on leftover foot for a few weeks if I didn’t intervene and laugh it off and tell her that I thought the author was beautiful, but then I thought everyone who is nice is a beautiful person.
Another one of my students walked by me and touched my hair and exclaimed, “Wow, you’re hair’s soft!” I asked her, “Did you expect it to be hard? It’s only hair, just a different thickness and length than yours, but hair nevertheless.”
Then when we were brainstorming questions to ask our imaginary penpals one student suggested, “Are you a black man or a white man?” I told him that this was not a question you’d ask someone in the US and might be considered impolite and that besides, it had nothing to do with getting to know the person. I suggested maybe we could think of a question that would help us get to know our penpals as people. He nodded as if he understood and suggested maybe asking them what their favorite book was.

My youngest students used to call me “chocolate laoshi”. One little boy asked me if I tasted like chocolate and I asked him, “Do you taste like anything?” He said no. And I said, “Well, only food can taste like chocolate. Not people.” I get some questions from my preschoolers like “Why are you black?” First I clarify that I am not really black and show them the crayon black, hold it next to my arm and ask if they are the same color. Then I show them the crayon white and ask if they have ever seen anyone this color. Then I show them the brown, peach, and tan crayons and tell them that these are more like our colors because everyone comes in different shades of brown. Then I explain that I am my color because my mom and dad are the same color and that they are the same color as their mom and dad too.
I was coloring pictures with them and one kindergartener asked for the peach and called it the “skin color crayon” to which another kindergartener replied, “Oh I never color people in because they can come in all different colors, right, ______?”
I could have hugged her.

Why don’t we (humans) have mixed colors like dogs and cats? Then maybe we won’t have the black/white descriptions.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]On a follow up, I love my upper elementary school students …

My youngest students used to call me “chocolate laoshi”. One little boy asked me if I tasted like chocolate…"
[/quote]

holy smokes! :shock:

Well, at least until you start teaching adults. Cholcolate’s good, strawberry’s devine, and cherry is one of my favorites! A little whipped cream is always a nice visual contrast. :laughing:

Whoa! Calico people, striped people, and spotted people!