The Blues Power Hour on ICRT

Thanks for the word of advice. I appreciate it. However, I’ll let the chips fall where they may. Besides, there ain’t nobody hand-feeding this old dog.

And anyway, I’m sure a few people from ICRT have already seen the posts.

Who would be some potential sponsors of the blues hour? I mean, are there any blues clubs in town?

Hey,
Thanks to all of you/any of you who tuned in to the first broadcast of ‘The Blues Power Hour’ last night.

I also wanted to let you know that I’ve dedicated one segment of the the fourth show to Forumosa.com It’s a segment I call ‘Blues Stew’ and it will kick off with a tune by Etta James. The fifth show will feature Etta as the Blues ‘Maestra’ of the week.

Lots of great Blues coming in the weeks ahead with Paul Butterfield, Robert Jr Lockwood, Blind Boy Fuller, Memphis Minnie and more.

D.C. Rapier

Palandiliar , you so funny! You have to be the best self PR guy I have ever seen, you toot your own horn at every ocassion and that’s good. you love what you do, you like the show you do and you want us to know about it. That’s PR. you the best.

Some might think you are a bit too pushy. No way, no one else is gonna do it for you. Keep the PR fires burning, man. you are good! i mean it!

Any chance of making that one of Etta’s more recent tunes, off of Love’s Been Rough on Me? Maybe the title track or I Can Give You Everything?

Aw, shucks.
Like my momma always said, ‘Better toot your own horn cuz nobody’s gonna tootle it for you.’
Rudy-toot-toot and bamma-lamma,
D.C. Rapier

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]

Any chance of making that one of Etta’s more recent tunes, off of Love’s Been Rough on Me? Maybe the title track or I can Give You Everything?[/quote]

Sorry, H-S,
The show was taped last week. I played a track from ‘The Right Time’ recorded in Muscle Shoals in 1992. I’ll look for the songs you mentioned though.
DCR

Like my momma always said, ‘Better toot your own horn cuz nobody’s gonna tootle it for you.’

aint that the truth!

Palandiliar

Good show last Sunday.
From one Chicagian to another, the best of luck.

Hey, Muffin,
Thanks for the kind words. Where are you from in Chi-town?
DCR

i spent one cold winter in uptown. damn cold, worked as a foot messenger for Cannonball MEssenger service. fun.

I really enjoyed your second blue show Sunday night. I thought that your coming on at the tail end of Bill Theissen’s jazz program and playing that jazz/blues song was a good transition to your program.

Any chance of you posting a playlist here after each show?

Yeah, it was a nice transition, although D.C. should cut Bill some slack. Like when Bill asked what D.C. was going to play and D.C. said “the blues.” Well, duh. Bill ought to have cracked D.C upside the head with a monkey wrench, but he didn’t, maybe they don’t keep wrenches around the studio. Anyway, good show D.C.

Hello,
Thanks for the feed-back. Bill T and have known each other for some time. He’d be at a loss if I didn’t give him a little grief now and then. (No, there aren’t any monkey wrenches at hand in the studios.)

Since you asked, the play list for Sunday, Sept 28 was:

Segment one - Blues Roots
‘That’s All right’ ; Arthur ‘Big Boy’ Crudup
‘That’s All right’; Elvis
‘My Baby Left Me’ ; Arthur ‘Big Boy’ Crudup
‘My Baby Left Me’ ; Elvis
‘The Train I Ride’ ; Mississippi Fred McDowell
‘Mystery Train’ ; Elvis

Segment two - Blues Master
‘Howlin’ for My Baby’
‘Shake for Me’
‘Spoonful’
‘Moaning at Midnight’
‘Smokestack Lightenin’
‘Wang Dang Doodle’
all by Howlin’ Wolf

Segment 3 - Blues Stew
‘I Keep on Lovin’ Her’; Little Walter
‘Take it Easy, Baby’ ; Robert Nighthawk
‘Sassy Mae’ ; Memphis Slim
‘Rats in My Kitchen’ ; Sleepy John Estes
‘I’m Just a Lonesome Man’ ; Sunnyland Slim
‘Drop Down Mama’ ; Sleepy John Estes

Next week,‘The Blues Power Hour’ will feature Little Walter Jacobs and sound out the Blues roots of the Beatles with Leadbelly and Ray Charles.

Hope you’ll listen in.
D.C. Rapier

Hello,
Another week come and gone and another ‘Blues Power Hour’ aired. It was requested that I post the playlist for the shows. So, here’s the list for last Sunday, Oct 5th.

‘Blues Roots’
Matchbox Blues - Leadbelly
Matchbox Blues - the Beatles
That’s All Right, Mama - Arthur Crudup
That’s All Right, Mama - the Beatles
I Got a Woman - Ray Charles
I Got a Woman - theBeatles

‘Blues Masters’
(All songs by Little Walter Jacobs)
Mellow Down Easy
Juke
Key’s the the Highway
Oh, Baby
Blues With a Feeling
Boom, Boom (Out Go the Lights)

‘Blues Stew’
Preaching Blues - Son House
Mr Charlie, parts 1& 2 - Lightning Hopkins
Blind Lemon - Leadbelly
Sleeper - Lowell Fulsom

The Blues Trivia question was,“What was the address of Chess Records in Chicago?” Send your answer to theblues@icrt.com.tw and the first right answer wins a Blues CD.

Next week, the ‘BPH’ will feature the Blues roots of the Rolling Stones and the guitar mastery of BB King. Hope you’ll tune in and listen - Sunday nights 11 to midnight

Blues to you,
DC Rapier

Great show last Sunday! Sounds like this Sunday’ll also be great. I wonder if other stations are listening to you? I noticed last night that 99.7FM played a whole bunch of early Stones, Jellyroll, Brownie McGhee, and others. Usually that show is pretty much devoted to Blue Note/Verve (not that thats a bad thing).

Off thread, slightly. But there’s some top live blues tonight at the Peshawar Cafe, just up the alley from Jnr Cafe, off Shi Da Road.

Muddy Basin Boys will be doing thair thang, sweetly as ever. Kick off around 9pm.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Off thread, slightly. But there’s some top live blues tonight at the Peshawar Cafe, just up the alley from Jnr Cafe, off Shi-Da Road.

Muddy Basin Boys will be doing thair thang, sweetly as ever. Kick off around 9pm.

HG[/quote]
Hey, HGC,
Thanks for the tip on local Blues performances. If there’s any chance of letting me know about a month in advance, I’d be happy to give the band a plug on BPH. Do you have any contact info for the Muddy Basin Boys?
Blues to ya,
CD Rapier

Hey, Sandman,
Thanks for comment. Thanks, too, for listening. Glad you liked the show.
When is the R&B show aired on 99.7? Gotta keep an eye on the competition, y’know.
Blues to ya,
DC Rapier

I know one of the band members is an occasional poster. I’ll tell them tonight. They’re a bunch of foreign lads. In the interim PM me.

Cheers.

HG