The British are Coming! (but not for blacks)

From the Telegraph, we find a lovely British family, out for a quiet vacation in Naples, Florida (I assure you, a vacation in Naples can only be quiet, a close friend who lives there calls it “Nipples” though, so it’s got that going for it…), tyring to mind their own business, when they are accosted spiritually by the presence of - heaven forbid - Negroes.

[quote=“Telegraph”]A British family is at the centre [sic] of a legal case in America after they allegedly told a luxury hotel they did not want to be served by black staff. The family, whose principal member has only been named as Rodney Morgan, were said to have asked management at the Ritz Carlton in Naples, Florida, they did not want to deal with “people of colour” or staff with “foreign accents”. Legal papers state their request was then entered into the computer system at the five star hotel before a black waiter was then stopped from serving them.

“This preference was entered into the computer system of (the) Ritz at the direction of the (the hotel’s managing director Edward Staros) with the further notation ‘… as per Mr Staros this couple is very very prejudice [sic] and do like like [sic] ppl of colour or foreign accents’.”[/quote]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7620781/British-family-tells-US-hotel-they-do-not-want-to-deal-with-black-staff.html

The lawsuit’s against the hotel for going along with the Morgans’ racism, not against the Morgans’ racism itself. The “pain and suffering” bit on the part of the waiter is a stretch, but that’s probably one of the few ways to bring the matter to court.

IMO the suit’s got merit, since if the hotel’s behavior is left acceptable, customers at all hotels in the US will be able to decide what other races of service staff they don’t want, and this will lead to discrimination in hiring at hotels purely for economic reasons. The manager should have replied that the Ritz hotel chain does not discriminate wrt race or gender etc, and was therefore unable to accommodate the Morgans’ request.

That’s an interesting one. It’s the sort of thing I would figure happens off the record in some places, but would typically be done without anyone ever overtly saying it, and certainly not writing it down. Off the top of my head, it sounds like it would violate civil rights provisions, since theoretically more patrons could make these requests and effectively force the hotel to use non-black staff. That’s just a guess though.

[quote=“TwoTongues”] The “pain and suffering” bit on the part of the waiter is a stretch, but that’s probably one of the few ways to bring the matter to court.
[/quote]

Well from a Negro’s :unamused: point of view= being denied to do one’s job because of your skin color has elements of pain and suffering. But I would be wasting my breath to trying to explain it…

The Morgans, IMHO, should have been allowed to have their preferred service, albeit an extra charge for those services, unless that service falls under the norm.

Sorry, the “Negroes” was from Duke and Duke in Trading Places, no offense intended.

Already taken…But we all slip up. Have a great day

Already taken…But we all slip up. Have a great day[/quote]

Seriously? I thought I was being quite obviously facetious in writing in the voice of the racist Morgans. I was apologizing for not making that clear. That gave offense did it? See I’m sitting here writing about how much of a bunch of shits the Morgans are, and how the Ritz was essentially propagating racism and should be held accountable for it, hard to see how you could interpret my intro as racist.

I kindly refer you to this thread and post.

Really, Ms Hottie. It’s plainly obvious that Mr Tongues was using the word "Negroes" (his italics) in an ironic sense. No need to take offense. :2cents:

[quote=“Namahottie”]

You people are soo sensitive.

Catholics, I mean. :wink:

Ja, I’m sure the bru knows the proper term is blecks, eh?

I think this is a sad situation and the Ritz Carleton should pay big time. Those people should have been shown the door. The Ritz does not need them. To be unhappy that the original OP, however innocently, tried to make light of this issue is a pretty reasonable response. The OP shows a real lack of understanding of, and at best, is very inexperienced in the real world. So many people on Forumosa bitch and moan about being treated badly just because of how they look. Maybe this situation can help them keep things in perspective.

Who you talkin’ about, Willis? Sprechen Sie English?

Seriously? I thought I was being quite obviously facetious in writing in the voice of the racist Morgans. I was apologizing for not making that clear. That gave offense did it? See I’m sitting here writing about how much of a bunch of shits the Morgans are, and how the Ritz was essentially propagating racism and should be held accountable for it, hard to see how you could interpret my intro as racist.

I kindly refer you to this thread and post.[/quote]

Never did I refer to you or your post as racist. Let’s wait until the word is used before the hysteria begins…And besides, like you, I used the words in italics to reflect your ironic sense. I believe we all can have one :sunglasses:

Cool bananas!Group hug!

Err Jimmy what is that I am feeling…is that a banana in your pocket or are you happy to see me?

Jimi always carries a banana im given to understand.

Obviously the hotel will get into hot water on this, this being America. And rightly so.

Just as bad as excluding guests of a certain color, nationality or religion.

[quote=“tommy525”]
Obviously the hotel will get into hot water on this, this being America.[/quote]

Nawww, this is just the “post-racial” era practice in America…Nothing to see people, just move on…

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“TwoTongues”] The “pain and suffering” bit on the part of the waiter is a stretch, but that’s probably one of the few ways to bring the matter to court.
[/quote]

Well from a Negro’s :unamused: point of view= being denied to do one’s job because of your skin color has elements of pain and suffering. But I would be wasting my breath to trying to explain it…

The Morgans, IMHO, should have been allowed to have their preferred service, albeit an extra charge for those services, unless that service falls under the norm.[/quote]

I bet they were paying extra to the management anyways so it was allowed. They probably tipped very well. Mr Morgan could not of had this service without money being involved no doubt!

This thread pretty well sums up why I normally stay away from race issues.

So be consistent and stay away then :wink: