The Case for Nuking Mecca

A rather interesting (purely speculative) debate over the pros and cons of nuking Mecca:

mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/049078.php

Note: nobody should think that I’m actually advocating this.

Another interesting article along the same lines:

One in Four Americans Would Use Nukes Against Terrorists, Gallup Finds
editorandpublisher.com/eandp … 1000819252

I know who one of the other “3” is – me.

Why nuke them? Isn’t it obvious to anyone that just the US alone could roll through any terrorist supportive country?

The concept of “nuking Mecca” is completely idiotic. And it would be unnecessary.

It would be awful IMHO to see what the US military is truly capable of doing, when they’re are not trying to fight a “kinder” war. What’s it going to look like when they say openly, “Let’s kill them all and let God sort them out?” I hope we never find out.

If the US is truly trying to fight a Christian Crusade agaist the Muslims, then a nuclear bomb that devastated one or two of the five pillars of Islam for about 500 years would surely be the way to go. Then again, it’s going to be harder to justify than just about any target, and nuclear bombs just aren’t launched in anger any more.

It would, wouldn’t it.

(Try not to mention Japan).

Oooops. :doh:

Nuking the Mecca?
That guy on the link you provided, DB, is a complete lunatic.
The mecca is a holy place and one for worship.
Islam is a wonderful religion the Quran guides one through self respect, love of another, compassion and tolerance.
Because of a minority of evil men who call themselves “islamist”, because political mischief of some western goverments this idiot make a “case” on nuking the Mecca?
My father was a muslim and I grew up until the age of 15 surrounded by the idea of this religion. My father has only taught me, love, compassion and tolerence of others and I have read the Quran.
Is it because we have pedophile catholic priests that we should condemn the Vatican or close all churches and tell people not to practice catholicism? Of course not. the discusting actions of a few doesn’t warrant the extermination of a religion.
9/11 has nothing to do with the religion of Islam. It’s only face to face between two very angry men, and I won’t even get into that.

[quote=“igorveni”]Nuking the Mecca?
That guy on the link you provided, DB, is a complete lunatic.
The mecca is a holy place and one for worship.
Islam is a wonderful religion the Quran guides one through self respect, love of another, compassion and tolerance.
Because of a minority of evil men who call themselves “islamist”, because political mischief of some western goverments this idiot make a “case” on nuking the Mecca?
My father was a muslim and I grew up until the age of 15 surrounded by the idea of this religion. My father has only taught me, love, compassion and tolerence of others and I have read the Quran.
Is it because we have pedophile catholic priests that we should condemn the Vatican or close all churches and tell people not to practice catholicism? Of course not. the discusting actions of a few doesn’t warrant the extermination of a religion.
9/11 has nothing to do with the religion of Islam. It’s only face to face between two very angry men, and I won’t even get into that.[/quote]

excellent. may i buy you a beer?

How I wish ALL senisible Muslims would stand up and change this nonsense running through Islam. I await the Muslim Reformation. :slight_smile: It did wonders for Christianity. :slight_smile:

GO PROTESTANTS!

If we could give advance warning and peacably evacuate the city of Mecca so that we could destroy all the mosques, I’d be all for it. But not at the cost of any innocent lives. Such a task would be impossible.

If somehow a clandestine operation could sneak in and remove the stone, and then destroy it? Have a jet fighter make a surgical strike upon the Kaaba zone?

Anything that shakes the faith of millions of Muslims, whose mainstream religion is still stuck in the Age of the Crusades, I’m all for. Blind faith in religion can hold people and entire societies back. It’s high time for a Reformation in Islam. An eradication would be preferable, as would all religions (thinly veiled systems of organized superstition, the lot of’em; speaking as an agnostic here), but the step towards rational, logical secularization is a journey of a thousand steps. It may take a few hundred years, but hopefully one day Saudi Arabia will be as godless as Belgium.

The guy who wrote that piece is not a loon. He’s just thinking aloud the same thoughts that many of us in the West have thought but never dared say aloud. How many times have you had the thought that the world would be so much better off if they just nuked Israel/Palestine so we wouldn’t have to keep hearing about that shitty little rubble of desert, one little obnoxious country causing so much trouble for the rest of the world? One little obnoxious little pile of worthless rocks in the desert almost starting WWIII, and more than a few times? Admit it - we’ve all thought it, at one time or the other, that the world would be a much better place without it. Yes, these are ugly little thoughts, but they’re caused by a reflection of the much uglier, much more vile thoughts sent our way from that part of the world.

Why not? The Vatican SHOULD be condemned for tolerating such priests for years. Remember that sign on the President’s desk? - The Buck Stops Here. The Pope has a responsibility and he should own up to it. At the very least, he should have resigned in disgrace for letting such crimes happen on his watch. Any politician or CEO with any concept of honor would have done the same. I suppose the Pope is a man without shame or a sense of personal responsibility, then.

I am shocked at the blind fealty of Catholics towards their Church, when so much corruption has been exposed in it. When I was a kid in highschool and learned about all the horrible practices and crimes the Church committed in the Middle Ages and throughout the rest of its history, the abuses and corruption that sparked the outrage of the Protestant Reformation, I could not fathom one logical reason why there are still Catholics who believe today. Totally illogical, totally irrational.
Of course, most American and West European Catholics are Catholics in name only - according to polls, most ignore the Church when it comes to their personal lives, and have premarital/adulterous sex, use birth control, masturbate, etc. Unfortunately, Latin Americans and Filipinos aren’t nominal Catholics and actually take that garbage seriously, thus causing even more problems with their exploding birth rates.

Sure, I hope you were not kidding. :wink:

Sure, I hope you were not kidding. :wink:[/quote]

not at all…i can afford world peace, one beer at a time

[quote=“Rubicon Bojador”]If we could give advance warning and peacably evacuate the city of Mecca so that we could destroy all the mosques, I’d be all for it. But not at the cost of any innocent lives. Such a task would be impossible.

If somehow a clandestine operation could sneak in and remove the stone, and then destroy it? Have a jet fighter make a surgical strike upon the Kaaba zone?

Anything that shakes the faith of millions of Muslims, whose mainstream religion is still stuck in the Age of the Crusades, I’m all for. Blind faith in religion can hold people and entire societies back. It’s high time for a Reformation in Islam. An eradication would be preferable, as would all religions (thinly veiled systems of organized superstition, the lot of’em; speaking as an agnostic here), but the step towards rational, logical secularization is a journey of a thousand steps. It may take a few hundred years, but hopefully one day Saudi Arabia will be as godless as Belgium.

The guy who wrote that piece is not a loon. He’s just thinking aloud the same thoughts that many of us in the West have thought but never dared say aloud. How many times have you had the thought that the world would be so much better off if they just nuked Israel/Palestine so we wouldn’t have to keep hearing about that shitty little rubble of desert, one little obnoxious country causing so much trouble for the rest of the world? One little obnoxious little pile of worthless rocks in the desert almost starting WWIII, and more than a few times? Admit it - we’ve all thought it, at one time or the other, that the world would be a much better place without it. Yes, these are ugly little thoughts, but they’re caused by a reflection of the much uglier, much more vile thoughts sent our way from that part of the world.

Why not? The Vatican SHOULD be condemned for tolerating such priests for years. Remember that sign on the President’s desk? - The Buck Stops Here. The Pope has a responsibility and he should own up to it. At the very least, he should have resigned in disgrace for letting such crimes happen on his watch. Any politician or CEO with any concept of honor would have done the same. I suppose the Pope is a man without shame or a sense of personal responsibility, then.

I am shocked at the blind fealty of Catholics towards their Church, when so much corruption has been exposed in it. When I was a kid in highschool and learned about all the horrible practices and crimes the Church committed in the Middle Ages and throughout the rest of its history, the abuses and corruption that sparked the outrage of the Protestant Reformation, I could not fathom one logical reason why there are still Catholics who believe today. Totally illogical, totally irrational.
Of course, most American and West European Catholics are Catholics in name only - according to polls, most ignore the Church when it comes to their personal lives, and have premarital/adulterous sex, use birth control, masturbate, etc. Unfortunately, Latin Americans and Filipinos aren’t nominal Catholics and actually take that garbage seriously, thus causing even more problems with their exploding birth rates.[/quote]
get help pal! fast!

Answer my points with logic and rationality and not blind emotion. That’s the problem with you religionists. You never stop to think.

I thought your post didn’t need answer, since it’s so obvious.
You advocate eradicating whole religions because a minority is majorly screwing up. You’re missing the whole point entirely. Following your judgement then it seems you’re against medecine as well since there is long list of doctors who have commit awful crimes and broke their codes of honors. We can go on and on with this type of judgement and just blow up the whole planet to solve all the problems, but that wouldn’t be a solution would it?
i am not a religiounist, nor I am a muslim or a catholic but I happen to think they are good religions, started by good men who meant well and in their pure and unaltered form are helpful to mankind.
Now, how about a beer and world peace with JS? :wink:

In their original form, they MAY have been good religions. But they have long ago, very long ago since been totally corrupted and perverted by their so-called followers.

The analogy with medicine is false. Medicine is a practical science with practical uses.

Religion is a philosophical system, same as political parties. To have a religion is to have an opinion, and all opinions are open to criticism. Just as it’s obvious to anyone that some political philosophies are so odious that they must be eradicated, such as Fascism, Communism, Nazism, so must certain religious philosophies be eradicated, because such philosophies are dangerous to the rest of the human race. No rational person weeps tears for the forcible end of pre-1945 Japanese Shintoism, with its rabid Emperor worship. That was one religion that we destroyed and the world is better off for it, and most importantly, the Japanese as a people are better off without the shackles of their insane, xenophobic religion. Looking at the state of the Middle East today, it’s hard not to see how the Jews and Arabs would be better off without Islam and Judaism. Northern Ireland would be better off if the Catholics and Protestants stopped taking their religion so seriously. How many wars have been caused by religious feeling? The list is endless.

By the few, you are generalizing.

Hmm, I see, so that’s makes it OK then.

What? The Shinto religion is very much alive and kicking in Japan. 84% of japanese are divided by 2 major religions: Buddhism and Shitoism.

Not about religion RB, the real problem is behind it if you cared to look deeply.

Is that mean you won’t have a beer with us then?

Which country would that be? Many fit the bill.