The Chinese are runing the internet

[quote=“Okami”]3 random thoughts about the topic:

1. Chinese methods of subversion of POWs in the Korean War
  2. The ideologically weak-minded and easily confused.
  3. Have you also not looked at it from the opposite spectrum of hardening of beliefs in the posters, they not only reinforce their beliefs by writing them, but also defending them.[/quote]
    Okamii -

Are you talking about Obama supporters or the PRC/PLA?.. :whistle:

[quote=“trebuchet”]http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/article.php/3795091/How+Chinas+50+Cent+Army+Could+Wreck+Web+2.0.htm

How China’s ‘50 Cent Army’ Could Wreck Web 2.0
[…]

I’ll stop there, but the whole article is worth reading.
I know cheating is a virtue for chinese people, but this is going too far. I do not want the Chinese taking over popular opinion forums all over the web in their best interest. I want my internet back.
UGH.
Cheating scoundrels. :raspberry:[/quote]

It works for the apologists and defenders of Israeli war crimes, US war crimes and $cientology. Why be surprised that the PRC tries it too?

The upside of the internet is that anyone can speak instead of having to be approved by a governance or corporation that decides who can speak. The downside is that the mob rules, the “might makes right” mentality, which means the strongest argument can be defeated by any group wearing enough blackshirts and jackboots. Then again, we are talking about a country where everyone once wore greys and slippers.

TV is so much more a powerful vehicle for propaganda than is the internet.
With the internet, the general public has more control on what they want to be exposed to, whether they exercise it or not.
TV, especially it’s advertising and news branches, which some might well argue are one and the same, is more of a forcefeed feedbag kind of affair.

So again: is it “running” or “ruining”? Or perhaps both? :astonished:

I wouldn’t mind having Forumosa be a place where female posters didn’t get run off by comments like these.

it is what it is. The Chinese are systematically replacing all the words written on the internet with Nordic runes. :runaway:

Hey, Moose Shagger, your signature line is making JFK look like a NODDY. Tidy it up. And go and find me some more Canadian news – you’ve got me addicted to the stuff.

I wouldn’t mind having Forumosa be a place where female posters didn’t get run off by comments like these.[/quote]

Damn!
I’ve had it wrong all along!
I though we were making dwarves & pixies fetch our sustenance!

Trebuchet -
This round bring us some chips/crisps and peanuts.
And try to wear something a bit more low cut next time…you’ll get better tips… :howyoudoin:

Trebuchet -
This round bring us some chips/crisps and peanuts.
And try to wear something a bit more low cut next time…you’ll get better tips… :howyoudoin:[/quote]

Don’t make me bend over boys, you won’t like the smell.

Neither.

Baby, I was born to rune!

Firstly, it would be nice if there were the opportunity to comment on Chinese websites, but somehow, I doubt anything anti-China even gets through there.

Secondly, their “propoganda” doesn’t even have to be remotely persuasive. All they need to do is stop people reading what they consider anti-China comments. Most people are not going to wade through hundreds of non-sensical flooding posts loosely dressed up as legitimate responses just to get to the real posts. Thus, the whole thing grinds to a halt, which is mission accomplished for the Chinese.

If people get banned simply for posting pro-China comments, then they can legitimately claim attacks on free speech. These guys precisely know the weakness of free speech and the internet.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Firstly, it would be nice if there were the opportunity to comment on Chinese websites, but somehow, I doubt anything anti-China even gets through there.

Secondly, their “propoganda” doesn’t even have to be remotely persuasive. All they need to do is stop people reading what they consider anti-China comments. Most people are not going to wade through hundreds of non-sensical flooding posts loosely dressed up as legitimate responses just to get to the real posts. Thus, the whole thing grinds to a halt, which is mission accomplished for the Chinese.

If people get banned simply for posting pro-China comments, then they can legitimately claim attacks on free speech. These guys precisely know the weakness of free speech and the internet.[/quote]
They cannot, and No, they don’t. The kind of forums where they post their drivel (outiside of China) are not protected by free speech because they are privately owned. The Chinese can no more claim their free speech us being infringed upon than if they come and crap all over the comments on my blog and I delete them. You don’t see anyone getting all crazy because the Forumosa mods (i love forumosa mods you are good comrades) prunes threads like “whoo hoo I got so drunk and scored at Vibe”, do you?

Have you tried? And what do you mean by “Chinese” websites? PRC gov’t run websites? Sites that are *.cn? Chinese language sites?

sjcma: Given that Google uses a different version in China, as do various media websites, I think it would be highly doubtful. Have you also heard that Obama’s inauguration speech was censored?

trebuchet: I doubt that most forums are that heavily moderated though. Forums for traditional print media are probably casually moderated by company IT people with a whole lot of other stuff on their plate. They’re highly unlikely to employ a moderator full time (which is what would be required).