The Chit Chat Cafe

English, Coffee, Life.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Welcome to our new establishment. We are located in the heart of the Shihlin night market at 102 Wen Lin Lu, about a block north of the JianTan MRT. The environment is modern, spacious yet cozy. The menu is simple, delicious and economically stimulating.

Please feel free to drop by and sample our wares. We welcome any feedback or ideas.

8861-5822 is the number of the cafe should you require more info.

Edit: This thread, it should be noted, no longer holds water. The portions are small, the space vacuous, and the management is completely inept. Stay away.

And…I just spoke with the Lao Ban. I informed him of our happy hours and he would like to invite us all up for an evening. We can reserve the back section (patio included, possible BBQ) and he will stock any brands you want. So, let me know if you’d like to do something like this and I’ll get the wheels turning.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]I saw the building. It is across from the theaters at the Shilin Night Market. That building really must be cursed. I think it has something to do with fungshui and by that I mean that it is on the opposite side of the road where all the action is, including the market street itself.
Most years, the building has stood empty, but occasionally, someone will come up with a bright idea (the last one was a food court), but they all end up abandoning the project, licking their financial wounds, no doubt.
I don’t know the details, but the Chit-Chat looks a little like the old ALE deal where they rented out a venue, usually a club or pub, for their members to mingle with foreigners who were given free drink tickets (three, if I recall). As one Chinese girl called it, the “shooting fish in a barrel” activity was interesting, but the beer drinking foreign men were not very interested in talking to the guys, if you catch my drift.
I realize that Chit-Chat will not use grog to entice foreigners to mingle (or will you? :wink: ), but I’d like to hear more about the game plan.
I don’t want to be a doomsayer, but I have seen several similar ideas go south in a big way.
I hope you are successful as that building needs something instead of ghosts.[/quote]

Wolfie,

Thanks for responding. I bumped my response to the RB&C thread as it is more permanent than the Events thread.

Let me assure all…this is not ALE. The Chit Chat Cafe is just that, a cafe…a bistro where you can speak any language you’d like. Speak in tongues if you are so moved. You are a client and will be treated as such. We offer a variety of salads and sandwiches as well as the usual assortment of Baristratic treats and some really delicious cakes. We also have Gelato. Wireless Broadband (WLAN) is available and we will accomodate private parties as well.

The second floor is where the “educating” will take place. This is members-only club for English confidence training. It is staffed solely by us and for the exclusive use of WSI students. The only way the general public gets up there is to put on a tie and apply for a job… :sunglasses:

Hope to see y’all up here. In fact, I am gonna go downstairs and make arrangements to give all 'umosans a 10% discount…“special just for you cuz you are sooooo handsome.”

I’ll confirm this and the details on how to reap such a benefit in a later post.

Cheers.

Want. beer. not. coffee. Cheap.

Sorry SP, but I am a bit leary of cafes/cram schools. :s

you. got. it.

Not a cram school. that’s on the 4th, 5th and 6th floors.

We are a separate entity. A confidence training center. A place to discuss anything life has to offer, but in English. No tests, no studying, no pressure and no Confucius.

Btw,

Does “a bit leary” mean you think Dr. Tim may be your pa? Those 60’s were wild and turbulent. No one here will hold it aganst you if you are the bastard offspring of a Balrog and an acid-guru.

Me knowing me, that would explain a lot of things. :laughing:

cheap beer.

So I can come up even if you don’t hire me, as long as I have a tie on (and am confident)?
Confidence training? So do you need someone to teach three-card Monte? The “You’ve just won a prize,” gig?
I could be very Wolfian here, but I better not… :sunglasses:

So I can come up even if you don’t hire me, as long as I have a tie on (and am confident)?
Confidence training? So do you need someone to teach three-card Monte? The “You’ve just won a prize,” gig?
I could be very Wolfian here, but I better not… :sunglasses:[/quote]

We just show The Sting, The Grifters and Matchstick Men over and over again.

Wolfie…no tie or confidece needed, unless you want the job. Drop by and ask for me…I’ll show you around. But not tomorrow.

Is this connected with the Wall Street Institute?

Yes.

Entice the foreigner in to give free conversation. Naughty but nice try.

No no no…you are completely missing the point. We do not want you for your english ability. We have that all covered. I am trying to let you know that one of your own 'Umosans is involved in the creation of a new RESTAURANT. All we want is your healthy appetite. The Chit Chat Club is something completely different from The Chit Chat Cafe.

Again…this is nothing like ALE. This is a swanky, comfy new Cafe…that’s it…that’s all.

[quote]No no no…you are completely missing the point. We do not want you for your English ability. We have that all covered. I am trying to let you know that one of your own 'Umosans is involved in the creation of a new RESTAURANT. All we want is your healthy appetite. The Chit Chat Club is something completely different from The Chit Chat Cafe.

Again…this is nothing like ALE. This is a swanky, comfy new Cafe…that’s it…that’s all.[/quote]

So does that mean we can speak Mandarin in the new restaurant?

[quote=“fee”][quote]No no no…you are completely missing the point. We do not want you for your English ability. We have that all covered. I am trying to let you know that one of your own 'Umosans is involved in the creation of a new RESTAURANT. All we want is your healthy appetite. The Chit Chat Club is something completely different from The Chit Chat Cafe.

Again…this is nothing like ALE. This is a swanky, comfy new Cafe…that’s it…that’s all.[/quote]

So does that mean we can speak Mandarin in the new restaurant?[/quote]

Are you trying to set me up for a punchline? Yes…you can speak Mandarin, Taiwanese, Pig-latin or in Tongues. Just, please, don’t speak with your mouth full of our delicious sandwiches, ok?

I think I see where the confusion is coming from. The Cafe is in the same building as Wall Street. But it is a public cafe and has nothing to do with WSI. This is not a trick to lure you into giving free english classes.

Are we all clear now? Geez, try and tell people about something new. What a suspicious lot we are.

Do you do chips ?

More specifics please…poker chips, chips on one’s shoulder, fish and chips, short golf swings, what? What?

Or are you asking a personal question?

BTW, I asked Sir Tigre for a list of import beers and he has pointed me towards Geert. I passed this on to Laoban and we will soon be stocking a wide selection of imports at very reasonable prices. We are developing some pastas for the menu and may soon begin experimenting with pizzas. Just so I got this right, we all like corn on our pizzas right?

When are you open?
Slainte.
Happy Patricks day