The Christmas Dinner - What to do?

Sounds lovely, Buttercup. As for me, I haven’t had a proper Christmas dinner in so long, I’m not sure what is traditional any more. I suggested that I could cook up some Asain faves for contributing to Thanksgiving last month and almost got put back on the mother ship. I may not get to see my mum for Christmas, though that’s the thing I really want. If I do, I’m almost sure not to have any kind of “Christmas Dinner” as she’s in a nursing home.

But maybe I’d like to have some ham and a sweet potato baked dirty and hot–Taiwan style. Green bean casserole? Can’t think of anything else.

[quote=“Buttercup”]I’m going to be with my family. My gran wants to cook, which she has always done. However, she’s not really ‘all there’ anymore, so it’ll be a bit stressy trying to make sure she doesn’t blow up anything or wander off, or get mixed up and use the wrong ingredients, without making her feel bad or less ‘in charge’. She knows she’s sick and is often completely lucid and has always been a sharp, intelligent person and gets very upset if she thinks we are checking up on her or ‘treating her like a child’.

Me and my sister are going to do the shopping and act as ‘assistants’. My gran wants traditional turkey and ham and pudding, and all sorts of things like that. The focus is going to be ‘traditional’, with the same rituals that we had as kids, to make her feel comfortable.

I’m just happy I can be home. She has switched over myself and my mother, in her mind (she calls me by my mother’s name) and last year she started to cry and ask for ‘my mother’. My mother was there and thinks she meant me, so I’m thrilled to be making this one a good one for her. :rainbow:[/quote]

Sounds familiar, my gran started to mix me and my oldest brother up in the end and her cooking always used to be great, until she got a bit too old and started to mix things up a bit or put a dash too much of something because of her shaky hands. Still, no-one beats granny’s cooking, it’s just how it is, right?

Damn I miss my gran right around this time of the year, it just ain’t the same… :frowning: