The Coffee Thread

I’m not entirely sure, but I think if they say “Blend” on the label, it has to have a minimum of 5% of the beans from that region in the blend. However, if they use a different word, like “Style”, it’s just an attempt at that flavor and may not even contain one bean from that region. Better check into that, though.

1 Like

The Chinese on that left hand side packet makes no mention of Yemen. Yemen maybe popped up when they were googling an English translation of mocha?

Mocha is a port in Yemen. All coffee shipped out of that port was (still is?) referred to as Mocha. It has little meaning in real terms as to quality or flavor profile other than the general terroir of Yemen.

1 Like

Mocha has become a bit of a marketing word, I wouldn’t necessarily conclude anything about the origin of the coffee when I see it.

1 Like

My favorite coffee place right now is Black Bar on Keelung Road, close to Xinyi Road.

No idea what beans they use, but the latte I get actually has a very distinct fruity flavor. No other place I frequent in the area has coffee with that kind of flavor.

Probably Blue Mountain (style ) or Yirgacheffe …Yirgacheffe would be expensive though.

Could you ask them what kind of fruit juice they add to it?

2 Likes

Nah, it’s the beans. It’s good coffee I am sure.

1 Like

Generally speaking, Yirgacheffe coffees are reasonably priced for the quality. Kenyan coffees, however, are expensive. I suspect it’s the higher cost of living there compared to Ethiopia. And award-winning Central American coffees are prohibitively expensive.

2 Likes

I need more of this, cause I started the bad habit of taking out coffee in cups again.

:+1:

Recently, I’m not having much time to make my coffee before leaving home in the morning. So, I’m in between buying a convenience store’s java or instant coffee.
I don’t remember any remarkable experience with instant coffee but perhaps because I didn’t have a good one.
Any recommendations?

I like UCC (Japanese brand found in most markets). Two options, (1) Better is the single drip bags you need boil water and spend minute or two pour the water. (2) Fast, In the can, black coffee. (you can put in the mug and heat it in mircowave)

3 Likes

Lately I’ve been enjoying the easy-to-use drip cafe bags (over which you pour hot water) from Sawai Coffee in Japan. Some images are here:

Source: https://www.rakuten.com.tw/shop/sawaicoffee/

Available at Jason’s: the “Mandheling Sweet” (full bodied—old school dark roast) comes in at NT$16/bag; the “Guatemala Delicious” (a brighter cup) comes in at NT$18/bag (Jason’s pricing).

Guy

1 Like

Taylor’s of Harrogate are doing a nice coffee bag. In the new Breeze.

1 Like

In a pinch if I have to grab a coffee at the convenience store I hit the cans too, however not UCC as I find their taste a little watery and metallic these days. I think a fellow customer I saw in family mart the other day confirmed that for me, I saw him buy two UCC cans and neck both of them.

Anyway my 2 NTD, latest go to is ‘KO’, a Vitali product, black, in the canned section. It has a picture of a gorilla on it. If you wish to desecrate the nectar of the Gods with cow sputum, they have a milk version too, although my coffee companion mentioned it was a little light on milk and not creamy enough.

2 Likes

This one?

I don’t even dare to infuriate the gods of black nectar by drinking it cold! Much less lighting it up with a jizz of mammals nurturing juice…

Although I do enjoy a cappuccino once in a while :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s the one with milk.

I don’t even dare to infuriate the gods of black nectar by drinking it cold

Big commitment, it’s going to be a long summer.

1 Like

Back home we have a saying:

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I second this. Oklao has decent boxes of drip bags too, especially when they’re on promotion. I usually buy the red boxes containing 22 bags for NT$499 and green boxes containing 15 bags for NT$359 (so NT$23-24 per bag). Available in medium light and medium dark - I prefer the medium dark ones. I find them quite good for travelling and drinking in the evening, when I don’t want a full 6-cup moka pot of strong coffee (I like to think they’re the healthier option :shushing_face:).

I keep a few of the UCC cans in the fridge too, just for…emergencies.

3 Likes