"The Conservative Cult of Victimhood"

:rofl: Sorry this is too funny.

I’m glad you can admit he plays a classic victim, but if you vote for one, you endorse it.

I readily admit everything here, it is nice to be anonymous and say what I really think. I even admit my mistakes on Forumosa, and I encourage others to do the same

That’s true, I’m Canadian though…

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: From The Conservative cult of victim hood

I really feel like fear is so much of a driving force behind the RW victimhood narratives. Fox and RW blogs try to elicit emotional responses in suburban viewers, that’s nothing new. It reminds me of Italian politics, where RW fascist parties will try to frame left wingers or immigrants with terror acts right before elections to scare the people into voting for fascist populist types.

1 Like

That’s an interesting aspect I hadn’t thought about directly.

Of course I’m aware of FOX etc playing to fears, but wasn’t thinking about how it’s the perfect compliment to the victimhood tact.

I mean, you make people scared of something, and also make them feel a victim of the same thing, this is where you get people incited, insurrecting, etc, obviously not joking.

Because at that point they feel encouraged and entitled, egged on by politicians like Trump, to become a thuggish mob.

Thus Antifa and BLM?

There’s a racist, misogynist transphobe under every rock.

Nobody’s debating that it’s exclusive to one side, but the point stands, Dem candidates just don’t campaign ON victimhood, and victimhood isn’t their platform.

For example:

Take his speech in Arizona on Tuesday night. It reads like a victimhood manifesto.

Consider just a few lines:

• “(Members of the media) don’t report the facts Just like they don’t want to report that I spoke out forcefully against hatred, bigotry and violence and strongly condemned the neo-Nazis, the White Supremacists, and the KKK.”

• “I’m really doing this more than anything else, because you know where my heart is, OK?”

• " I always hear about the elite. You know, the elite. They’re elite? I went to better schools than they did. I was a better student than they were. I live in a bigger, more beautiful apartment, and I live in the White House, too, which is really great."

• “How about – how about all week they’re talking about the massive crowds that are going to be outside. Where are they? Well, it’s hot out. It is hot. I think it’s too warm.”

• “You wonder why CNN is doing relatively poorly in the ratings. Because they’re putting like seven people all negative on Trump.”

• “Barack Obama never said it took place because of radical Islamic terrorists, he never said that, right…But with me, they wanted me to say it, and I said it. And I said it very clearly, but they refused to put it on.”

In just that handful of lines, Trump is victimized by the media, the elites, protesters and former President Barack Obama. All of those people – and institutions – are out to get him. They target him – very unfairly! – because he is willing to speak hard truths. And they can’t take it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/23/politics/trump-arizona-victim/index.html

The West’s obsession with victimhood has always been unhealthy. It seems to be pretty common across cultures though.

1 Like

Sure, but I’m trying to get specifically into the uniqueness of Trumpism/modern conservatives, using it almost solely as a platform, and voting for it. Which is definitely unique, in the US at least.

1 Like

Also unique in the sense that US conservatives claimed victim status is almost entirely a fiction world manufactured in media. Actually now that I think of it not that Unique, this went on big time WWII in a place that I’m not really allowed to compare without seeing this one group in everything.

Mups, you won’t get much in the way of pushback, from people who consider themselves conservative, that Trump is a prima donna. You will get pushback from those same people who support the policies his administration implemented. Please learn to differentiate the person from the acts. Conservatives run flower shops and work in women’s shelters beside liberals. To paint them all with the same broad brush is intellectually shallow.

They say that now after he lost. That sure ain’t what they were saying before it with all that winning tho.

This is definitely ture–there are lots of political conservatives that are good people in their daily interactions with anyone. The point though is they have to step it up and keep their conservative friends in line when they go of the Q Anon/hate/conspiracy deep end. If they don’t, they’re part of the problem.

If they all voted for the guy doing the stuff, it’s not broad strokes. 88% voted you know who?

2 Likes

Where’s the middle ground for you?

1 Like

I’m very Ok with conservative ideas of smaller governments.
I’m pro choice but there are some arguments for certain restrictions on very late term abortions in very narrow cases that seem within reason.
Don’t like handouts prefer work
Pro Taiwan
I believe China is a threat.

just some examples, but these are not far left views

So, you think along the same lines of the majority of Americans regardless of their voting preferences.

Let’s see the chart!

Pro choice with restrictions.

Is that your view? It’s not mine.

BTW If you just conveniently omit 15-20 words or so out of any given sentence, you can make it mean almost anything you want!

I quoted everything you posted.

No, you selected 4 words out of the 24 in the sentence and presented that as my view in a way that’s obviously distorted.

So clever, you.