The Cost of Opening an English School

I just know this has been discussed somewhere but I did a quick search and couldn’t find anything. Can anyone shed some light on the process of opening a school and its cost? I’ve seen a few related posts but they didn’t really go into detail on the process itself and where the money goes, how to become legal, etc.

I’m years off from realizing this dream but I’m just bored and curious.

I have heard 1-2 million from Taiwanese people, but apparently it can be done for 500,000 if you are teaching their yourself and are willing to do most the work. I guess the easiest way is to take over rent from an existing buxiban that is closing, that way you can be sure the place is suitable for a license. I know someone who is selling their cram school for over 5 million dollars, but seems a little overvalued to me.

It depends on the profit of the buxiban, 5 million might be reasonable.
Then again, what is the average profit of a buxiban per year? I have no idea.

From what I’ve seen, this buxiban makes profit, but it hasn’t made the owner rich.

Maybe he wants to finally feel rich and get that 5 million in his bank account.

Isn’t there a website for buxiban owners to sell their school?

1 Like

Would be interested to see that!

Best to find someone else do the English teaching part.

2 Likes

What would you do as the foreign owner if you don’t teach some classes?

It would be interesting if we could get a breakdown of prices from cram school owners. There must be some on this forum.

I’d do what you’d do – ride my bike all day and count the money at night. :wink:

HAHAHA my god that would be the life!!!

I am pretty addicted to cycling at the moment. GOTTA GO FAST

1 Like

There is quite a bit goes into running a school that isn’t teaching.

-communicating with patents
-planning lessons
-buying materials
-adverising
-paying salary
-paying taxes
-cleaning

Just too much :dizzy_face:

That depends. We did it for about 12 or so years. Far better in every respect than working for someone else imho.

1 Like

How did you manage to find the opportunity?

Who? Me?

1 Like

Yes sir! I’m thinking of buying or starting a school myself. I’m wondering how you found an English school (I assume you bought one to do) or how you started one up?

We opened our own. We had a core group of about 20 kids when we opened. Between their siblings, relatives and word of mouth, had about 300 in three years. Designed the program ourselves. I wrote the books and taught. Hired some CTs, then FT’s.

We sold out 8 years ago, so it’s really better if you go ahead and say what you’re thinking about. You’re not me, so you’re school will be different. What are you looking to accomplish?

1 Like

I taught English in Taiwan several years ago. After a year I returned home to start my career in tech.

I’ve made some money but I don’t enjoy the lifestyle here. I’m considering going back to teach and then I saw this thread. I’ve run two businesses before so I understand how strenuous it is to do all the bits and bobs of admin and handle financial pressures like rent or dealing with the bank.

Much of business depends on the way the industry is setup and the competitive landscape. How would you say the “English school” landscape is now compared to when you had started? What should I consider but probably am unaware about?

Thank you advanced for your kind advice!

I’ve been out of the game for ten years and don’t live in Taiwan now, so, maybe let’s wait for someone with better standing to swing by.

1 Like