The Costco Thread (2006)

DAMN, you treat your students well. :smiley:

Lately, Iā€™ve been extremely disappointed in the quality of the produce. We bought a bag of three small, green pumpkins, only to have them rot out in less than 3 days. Same thing happened with one of those extra large bags of garlic. Iā€™ve had asparagus that had been frozen and had gone all moldy in the center of the bunch and most recently, the usually reliable and delicious mushrooms were discovered to have been previously frozen as well.

As I am off the candy, carbs and other delights that have contributed to my post-smoking girth, I seem to be only in it for the meat and juice. Good thing the meat is so good, or Iā€™d not be going back.

DAMN, you treat your students well. :smiley:[/quote]

For summer camp we are stalking and killing forumosan black bears. :smiling_imp:

The tuna snack was rather lackluster. I got it since I enjoyed the ones I had bought at Jasonā€™s, but the brand they have at Costco didnā€™t do it for me.

OldGobbo, I too have experienced veggies that spoiled in under 3 days. I bought those cucumbers for snacking. The first time, they lasted me almost a week before they got soft. Unusual for cukes, but the second time I bought them, they started developing fuzz after the third day. And their grapes were horrendous. Most of the soft fruits, grapes, peaches, and kiwifruit, are overstacked, sometimes half rotten, and unrefrigerated. The last time I bought grapes, I had to do a lot of digging before I found a package that was passable. And those expired pretty quickly compared to the ones Iā€™ve bought in Wellcome. The fruit isnā€™t even that competitively priced. And they let me down on their cotton candy when I needed it for a carnival-based theme my kids did earlier this year. :stinkyface:

If it werenā€™t for the frigginā€™ cheese, thin-sliced ham, and the multi-grain bread, Iā€™d never go back. Oh, and non-food items which are really the highlight of going to Costco really cause the foodā€™s not all that.

do they have that giant blue-rimmed trampoline? tā€™was the highlight of my youthā€¦ :bouncy:

Went to the Neihu Costco today. Apparently they have given up on beer. They never had much to offer anyway, but I was going to pick up a case of Heineken anyway and now itā€™s all whiskey and wine.

bummer!

[quote=ā€œovertheborderā€]do they have that giant blue-rimmed trampoline? tā€™was the highlight of my youthā€¦ :bouncy:[/quote] I saw some medium and small trampolines in Toys R US on HsinSheng between Nanjing and Chang Chun Rd. None of those super giant ones, but I didnā€™t look. If anyone has one it would be Costco, they have oversized everything.

Costco Yong Ho was a State Fair yesterday. Many awards were presented:

The award for repeatedly runing into my ankle with a cart goes to the guy behind me by the meat coolers.

The Amusement Park Award goes to all the kids running down the aisles, 12 year olds in the carts and generally getting and staying in the way of traffic.

The Waaaaa! award goes to old ladywho seemed to be on her first visit, mouth agape and staring at the ceiling. It IS high isnā€™t it?

The Rejuvenile Delinquent award goes to Mr. Cool at the checkout counter who tried to push the empty cart through the cart lane and was told by the nice young woman working there that he needed to vacate that area and wait on the other side. He huffed and puffed and assaulted a cart on his way back out.

The Squater Awards were numerous but the kids who had completely surrounded the book/CD/DVDs tables took the cake. Way to keep out of mischief guys!

The Best Effort Award goes to the chubby wide eyed boy who tried to carry a case of Coke back to his cart. Did not succeed but his Angelic smile after failing was to die for.

The To Die For Award: said boyā€™s mother and father who miraculously laughed off the chaos their son caused. How DO they do it?

The Someone Smashed an Obese Grown Manā€™s Body Down and Put a Childā€™s Head on It Award goes to the sad sad looking boy in the underground parking lot. But at least their cart was fully of crap to eat, so heā€™ll be hapy again once the sugar hits his brain.

The Been There Done That Award goes to the foreigner who ignored me and pretended to speak to his kid in Chinese as we passed each other. I forgot to bring my kid.

The Brain Massage Award: to the middleage guy who dug with no shame, in the middle of the aisle, while turning in circles, either to impress us with his technique, or looking for his family, or the picking was upsetting his center of gravity and pulling him to the right as he very slowly walked.

The Lady Sheā€™s Four Feet Tall Award: to the lady who wading thorugh a sea of people rtaller than her asked her tiny daughter, ā€œDo you see Gradma?ā€ I hope not, as she would have had to had been lying face down on the floor.

The Gung Ho! Award: to the lovely young woman at the check out counter who said, ā€œI like this job. I donā€™t have time to think about anything.ā€ She boxed me up swell.

The F1 Award: to the Costco lady racing down the drink and chip aisle, skidding to the stop and ripping a right turn past me.

The DAMN!! Award: to Costco herself for yet again managing to take 5000NT from my pocket.

The Pat On the Back Award: to me, for actually having fun making up these awards while in Costco, so as to not, you know, explode, grab a golf club and set to making mush out of peopleā€™s craniums.

it was an utter horrow show there yesterday. thought that iā€™d save a trip since i was near taipei anyways - thatā€™ll learn me.

Surly wrote:
[quote]
The Been There Done That Award goes to the foreigner who ignored me and pretended to speak to his kid in Chinese as we passed each other. I forgot to bring my kid. [/quote]

So why didnā€™t you say ā€œHi?ā€ :laughing:

I thought everyone knew to avoid the mega-stores on weekends.

Silly rabbit!

funny i was there yesterday too. i thought it was actually a bit less crowded than usual lol. not you i said ā€œsundayā€ to by the books was it? i stick to weekdays there but yesterday was unavoidable.

Surly wrote:
[quote]
The Been There Done That Award goes to the foreigner who ignored me and pretended to speak to his kid in Chinese as we passed each other. I forgot to bring my kid. [/quote]

So why didnā€™t you say ā€œHi?ā€ :laughing:[/quote]

i might ask the same question - got nothing more than an upturned nose from more than one big-nose that day. :laughing:

might have seen tempo by the books though - i recall mentioning something about a mad house as the wave carried him/someone past ā€¦

Recently my wife and I went to the Neihu store (which is our usual choice) and the line to enter the parking garage wound all the way around the parking lot and out onto the street. We refused to wait and went to the Shizhi store instead and were glad we did. Much less crowded and slightly different products.

Impulse shopping: I had to grab one of these buckets as we passed by. Didnā€™t need 'em, but theyā€™ll go well with the morning coffee.

A manager at the Nei-Hu store, my usual choice too as Iā€™m about 5 min away, told me the Xi-Zhr store has roughly 500 more individual products than the other outlets. I go there once in a while to check things out too.

Iā€™d love to hear what the Xizhi store has that the Neihu one doesnā€™t. Do they have chorizo, poptarts, sundried tomatoes in olive oil, Bisquick, corn tortillas or muffin mixes?

All that and more. Theyā€™ve got real mayonaisse, a wide selection of cheeses ranging from Vermont and Tilamook cheddar to various bries, camembert, cambozola, goat cheese, etc; good breads including rye, sourdough and pumpernikel; crackers, pita bread, english muffins, belgium beers, california wines, Dr. Pepper; roast turkeys, honey-glazed hams, texas barbecued brisket and ribs, a wide selection of ready-to-eat gourmet dinners, and even SOUR CREAM. The men who work there are helpful and fast, the girls are busty and beautiful and wear uniforms fit for a Hooters restaurant, and the children are all quiet and happy. I recommend it highly.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seriously? Chorizo?

All that and more. Theyā€™ve got real mayonaisse, a wide selection of cheeses ranging from Vermont and Tilamook cheddar to various bries, camembert, cambozola, goat cheese, etc; good breads including rye, sourdough and pumpernikel; crackers, pita bread, english muffins, belgium beers, california wines, Dr. Pepper; roast turkeys, honey-glazed hams, texas barbecued brisket and ribs, a wide selection of ready-to-eat gourmet dinners, and even SOUR CREAM. The men who work there are helpful and fast, the girls are busty and beautiful and wear uniforms fit for a Hooters restaurant, and the children are all quiet and happy. I recommend it highly.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:[/quote]

lol, i was ready to believe it until that last bit about the children.