The Costco Thread (2007)

Well, I visited the Yonghe store for the first time last week and it seemed more expensive than the other two Costco’s in Taipei for some reason. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but it seemed like some things were more there, altough the prices might’ve changed in the other two as well…

Well, I am holding a bill from July and cat litter is 235 nts. The same cat litter is 259 nt now, and compared to 19something from December, I notice the increase.

I shop occassionally at Neihu. I can compare prices for ham and cheese, if anyone has those.

mmm…are you talking about the freshly baked pizzas? Is it “ok” to freeze it and microwave/bake it after a week?

maybin wrote:

Yes, exactly. A (really) large goes for NT$300, a good value. :discodance:

A week? Man, they can last a lot longer than that. I usually go to Costco once a month and that’s about when I have run out and am ready to restock.

I only started doing this a few months ago when the subject came up in the Food Forum. I also discovered my mom does the same thing. I always thought pizza would not freeze well but it does. Costco pizzas are good too and don’t seem to suffer at all from freezing and reheating.

It’s “ok” to freeze slices of pizza, yeah. They’re best heated up again in a preheated oven, on a very hot tray, not the microwave, IMO. And of course they won’t be nearly as good as fresh, but it’s convenient.

Does anyone know what bus number goes to the Costco in Neihu?

Looks like S2-SubLine,63,BR1,BL7,204,518 and BL26.
Sadly the Taipei bus website is a pain to navigate, but the bus stop is called XinHu 3rd Road Entrance

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

It’s “ok” to freeze slices of pizza, yeah. They’re best heated up again in a preheated oven, on a very hot tray, not the microwave, IMO. And of course they won’t be nearly as good as fresh, but it’s convenient.[/quote]

Tip–wet down the cheese (not the crust) before you reheat.

Just wondering about what can be done to get Costco to accept any credit card. It would be convenient rather than have to carry lots of cash. But they only accept one bank credit card which I believe is the one they try to get people to sign up for in their store.

The Farman’s Home Style Baby Dills pickles are wonderful. I’ve really been enjoying them the last few months. Pretty cheap too, big jar for $160 or so, if memory serves.

The original imported Chicken Bakes were something I always bought. Since a lot of stuff was replaced with local knock-off offerings, Cost Co has kind of let me down a bit. The Beef Bakes aren’t bad though. They’re better than the knock-off Chicken Bakes.
I really hope we get those imported sausages back, the Greek Pork and Feta Cheese ones, and the Farmer’s Sausage specifically. The large ‘not properly blended’ chunks of fat in the Fu-Tong knockoff replacements just ain’t right.

They do have a cash machine, so you don’t really need to carry cash, assuming you have a bank card. But by using their credit card you get a cash-back every year, it must be 5% or so, it adds up. I doubt you could get enough people to complain to make any difference, and hey it’s their store after all.

How much is the membership fee at Costco?

Is it worth it for someone without a kitchen and not a lot of storage space?

Really!? If that’s true…then Costco is lame!

The Fu-Tong sausages are rank, the stuff they used to have was much better. The only “edible” sausages here are the frozen ones in Ikea imho.
And the new Salami in Costco, even though it’s from the US, tastes like crap. :thumbsdown:
Please import some good stuff again.

Tis true. But accepting Visa and other cards takes a bite out of their profit, so if they did, their prices would be a few percent higher.

If they accepted credit cards they possibly could get more customers, therefore not neccessarily lose money.
Plus if they didn’t require membership fee I might actually shop there, still don’t get that one.

[quote=“kelake”][quote=“david_in_taipei”]I may be the only one in Taiwan to be excited about egg nog, but tonight I just bought a half-gallon (1.89 liters) at the Costco in Neihu. It was about NT$225.

I have never heard of the brand, Darigold, but it sure is tasty![/quote]

My wife was ecstatic and bought 2 big jugs. I saw a large bottle of rum as well so it might be an interesting couple of nights.[/quote]

What is egg nog? I thought it was something you made from eggs and alcohol?

If you bought cheese sandwich crackers from Costco, be sure to check the brand, as one sold in Taiwan has been found to contain 29ppm of melamine (well above the limit): 奶概多 Regimen House 起士三明治 cheese sandwich cookies from Malaysia (Golden Kestrel Co.). They’re round, with cheese in the middle.

[quote=“Modest Mouse”]How much is the membership fee at Costco?

Is it worth it for someone without a kitchen and not a lot of storage space?[/quote]

probably not, especially if you don’t have a large freezer too. but you can go there anyway and just be like a typical taiwanese family, and use their air conditioning and graze on all the free sample food and drink.

Tis true. But accepting Visa and other cards takes a bite out of their profit, so if they did, their prices would be a few percent higher.[/quote]
In addition to the co-branded card, Costco also accepts American Express.