The COVID humbug thread (2021 edition)

Exercise regularly, eat well, get fresh air. Same things as other demographics. Plus, you don’t ‘suddenly’ become fully protected as soon as you get jabbed.

Indeed.

"As of 15 August, 514 Israelis were hospitalized with severe or critical COVID-19, a 31% increase from just 4 days earlier. Of the 514, 59% were fully vaccinated. Of the vaccinated, 87% were 60 or older. “There are so many breakthrough infections that they dominate and most of the hospitalized patients are actually vaccinated,” says Uri Shalit, a bioinformatician at the Israel Institute of Technology (Technion) who has consulted on COVID-19 for the government.

https://www.science.org/news/2021/08/grim-warning-israel-vaccination-blunts-does-not-defeat-delta

And, as @finley has previously pointed out, for the elderly, being vaccinated doesn’t appreciably add much time to one’s life, if any.

1 Like

Most old people who have chronic diseases are not suddenly going to become healthy. Let’s get real.

Why are you switching back to Israel lol.
What happened to the UK data and reports ? Don’t like the conclusions ?

Anyway…CDC in the US have an important message.

1 Like

I’m never happy to hear about people being hospitalized and dying, so I guess the answer is “no.”

Well then you should be happier to learn that the vaccines are highly effective in reducing deaths.

This should cheer you up also.
If anybody is looking for a hopeful factoid this is it

A new CDC reportTrusted Source shows that since July 26, there have been only 6,587 reports of breakthrough infections that resulted in hospitalization or death among 163 million fully vaccinated people.

“That is a percentage of 0.01 percent or less,” Fauci said. “The bottom line is they are rare, and they rarely result — not rarely, but unusually result in hospitalization or death.”

2 Likes

Getting fit and healthy - for life - is a far better option, for all age groups, than simply relying on Covid vaccines, whose efficacy wanes as we speak.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what you should expect in a highly vaccinated elderly population.

The breakthrough infections are causing more transmission which also drives up the overall incidence and number of deaths in the population. But as an elderly individual your individual risk of dying is still massively reduced by being vaccinated.

1 Like

Getting Covid is rare anyway. As is being hospitalized or dying from it.

Plus, studies show that to 50% of people may already have pre-immunity to Covid.

Not really. Six monthly boosters shots indefinitely? There’s better effect by improving one’s health.

It’s not rare. It’s very common in many countries and it looks like that eventually we will all ‘get covid’.

Not sure what point you are making. You’ve lost me.

Really. Vaccines make a huge impact.
Don’t make up your own facts now.

1 Like

Facts are from UK gov., CDC, WHO.

I know. Not to worry.

1 Like

All right… This is my takeaway from the recent discussion.

1 Like

That looks equal.

In reality a simple double jab of vaccine can reduce their chance of death by 94%.

How does that remotely compare with them suddenly , magically becoming healthy ?

1 Like

You think you get magically and suddenly ‘healthy’ from a vaccine?

Especially one you need to have every six months?

Wow.

And you know why? Cause it does not work that way. Whenever I start thinking, hey Finley seems to know something, he does his homework, knows how do analyze data and things of that sort, you always pull me back from my delusion by suggesting solutions that are not realistic, at least in the short term, for a problem that needs to be addressed immediately, or you say something nonsensical like “the people in charge do all of this to enjoy themselves” (paraphrasing here).

I agree that the state of health in large portions of the population in Western countries is concerning, making these people vulnerable to a virus like Covid. But this has not happened overnight and it’s not going to be fixed in time to save these people from Covid-related deaths. So suggesting a solution around “tell them to get fit and healthy” is pointless, at least in the short term.

In order to address problems like obesity and chronic diseases caused by consuming, well, mostly processed foods, and a lack of physical activity, is the side effect of how our current economic and political systems are set up. It’s not all bad, the systems have helped to eradicate poverty and lots of other nasty diseases, and brought us conveniences earlier generations could not have imagined. Changes to these systems are difficult to make because of the addictive nature of sugar for example, let alone alcohol and tobacco, the power of big corporations (including the legality of advertisement; one of my pet-peeves), and the susceptibility of politicians to the influence of these corporations.

Advocates of a healthy lifestyle could use this current Covid crisis to point people in a direction that could make changes to the systems easier in the future, but offering this as a solution to the problem at hand is not really that helpful.

6 Likes

How do old people quickly become healthy ?
Magical thinking.
Besides it’s the aged immune system that is the real problem for the elderly.

3 Likes

Benefits are immediate.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7387807/

1 Like

That report is absolutely rubbish…It doesn’t actually contain any research study on covid patients bizarrely.

There’s 80 papers cited there. Have a perusal and get back to us.

1 Like

Interesting you were able to determine that in one minute…

It’s a review article.

2 Likes