The COVID humbug thread (2021 edition)

That’s exactly why your argument fails: you’re still presenting everything in absolutist terms. If these tools were really so infallible, they would have succeeded in enslaving the world long ago.

I was already predicting his demise before Covid. But by all means, let’s revisit this next year. People “on both sides” will nag him about his handling of Covid, for sure, but refusal to endorse vaccine passports will be a footnote for most people (though some of his right and/or libertarian leaning supporters who will hold it up as an example of his awesomeness, and the more extreme germophobes will try to use it against him, unsuccessfully).

Um, your point is what exactly? My point is real conspiracies happen (in general) when politicians have conflicts of interest, usually involving money (or family, but that’s usually just to get them jobs i.e. to get them money). This used to be considered proper, but over time enough people complained that rules to limit conflicts of interest were devised, which of course have loopholes and workarounds, so there are more rules about those, and so on. There’s no perfect solution, but at the very least you can have FOI laws to reveal these things, and it is at the very least embarrassing when they do get revealed, and embarrassment often leads to electoral loss.

Oh, that’s your point? I don’t think we’re covering any new ground here, then.

No. False dichotomy again. I’m saying the interconnectedness of things on the planet – call it “globalism” if you want, though that’s a loaded term – is inevitable. How it happens is something people have a say in, to the extent that they have political (i.e. democratic) and economic power.

Once again, you’re setting the bar… spectacularly low. For me, a spectacular failure is along the lines of the League of Nations.

What, because Big Whatever goes out of its way to avoiding hurting the feelings of the Chinese people? That has limited relevance to Joe Human. For me, the test is, does the average person who can choose to live where he wants choose to live in X or not? If China were facing an epic immigrant/refugee crisis, I think we would have heard about it by now.

Then why hasn’t it already been done? You’re essentially saying evil geniuses have all the power and will succeed no matter what. And yet…

the evil geniuses are incompetent fools who can’t get anything right, not even their own wrongness. :yin_yang:

That reminds me of my own species. Like I’ve said before, we have the best technology and vast resources, yet every time we try to invade your pathetic little planet, it turns into a farce.