The CSB culpability (or not) thread

[color=blue] *** Mod’s Note: This thread was split from the TP thread entitled “Politically Loaded Terms…” ***[/color]

[quote=“ac_dropout”]That’s because the people of Taiwan have been duped by our own leadership. He promised not to change anything, but spent all his political capital trying to redefine Status Quo against people wishes. He single handedly brought Taiwan-USA and Taiwan-PRC relationship to the lowest point in decades.[/quote]So what did he do? Hardly anything has changed. Still called the ROC, same flag with the KMT mark on it and same national anthem singing about China. Nothing changed. The relationship with the USA is as good as it has ever been. Every few weeks the KMT likes to say, oh look at the relationship with the USA now it is so bad, in an attept to discredit President Chen. Everytime shortly after, the USA issues a statement that the relationship is unchanged. The relationship is the same or better, only that there is the KMT and Chinese Communist Party alliance trying to destabalize and discredit President Chen. The Taiwan PRC relationship is only bad because the CCP hates the DPP. I think that is a good thing. Any enemy of the PRC is a friend of democracy. By the way, the CCP loves Chairman Ma!

[quote=“ac_dropout”]The second part of the problem is that too many people from Taiwan are witnessing the economic rise of the PRC with a Communist system, and the economic decline of ROC with a Democratic system. Given the value system of the average person on Taiwan, it doesn’t take much for them to realise the political system is really just a shell game. You put shtty people in a Democratic system, you still get sht as a result.[/quote] Nobody is that stupid. Besides Taiwan’s economy is not that bad at all. Stop exaggerating to make the current administration look bad. By the way, anytime that the DPP wants to do anything good for Taiwan it is blocked by the Pan-Blue majority in the legislature. Nothing is getting done and there is chaos in this democracy because of the KMT not because of the DPP. The China Nationalist Party (KMT) is purposely trying to make Taiwan’s democracy look inept in an attempt to go back to the good old days of one party rule. The KMT does not like democracy.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]The question is really how can Taiwan get quality leadership from the democratic system it has? Because that is what the PRC has figured out in the top echelon of the CCP.[/quote]You are trying to sell Communism to Taiwan and the readers of this forum. That is a hard sale and it isn’t going to happen. Give it up, not even hard core KMT people want to live under Communism.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]I mean is this really the best Taiwan can do with a democracy, a lawyer that cannot speak the national dialect properly and plays legal games all the time.[/quote]The president went to the most elite university in the nation, National Taiwan University. He is brilliant and he is from the heart of Taiwan, Tainan, where they speak the language of the past 400 years. I think your mention of the legal games is the frustration of the KMT that Chen is so knowledgeable about the law that they cannot break the law and get rid of him. Hahaha, funny to see you Pro-Communist guys so frustrated. By the way, don’t be so racist about his accent. That is not cool at all. I would much rather have an Anti-Communist President loyal to Taiwan that speaks BeiJing Hua with a Southern Taiwan accent than a Pro-Communist Shanghai born politician with an impeccable accent. What you are saying is about as silly as electing a president just because he is handsome. Must look past the surface and stop being so superficial, are you sure you are from China and not from LA?

Nice try there. I wonder what curious form of brain disease causes one to give credence to this sort of thing? Alzheimer’s maybe? If the KMT wanted to “go back” to the good old days of one party rule, it should have --I don’t know-- not allowed DPP to exist in the first place or not implemented the current system. For crying out loud, the KMT itself ended the “good old days”!

Sure, every political party wants to be the ruling party and all politicians like to WIN and some can be sore losers, but to go from there to asserting that it is the goal of the KMT to reinstate the institution of one party rule is exhibiting the worst form of intellectual dishonesty.

Please, Hobart, stop sounding like a DPP/Chen lackey. The DPP under Chen has the supreme capability to look bad and BE bad all by itself, without needing any form of “help” from the KMT. You are desperately giving the lethargic KMT too much credit.

Good grief! I mean to say, GOOD GRIEF! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I dealt with a lot of NTU law and science grads in Taiwan’s government – they don’t impress me very much :smiley: Arrogant and local. Internationally speaking that school doesn’t amount to a can of beans.

I think it’s becoming more and more obvious that unless Hobart has suddenly developed a habit of taking stupid pills and posting in TP, his recent posts here are written by someone else who has access to his login/computer… :no-no:

I dealt with a lot of NTU law and science grads in Taiwan’s government – they don’t impress me very much :smiley: Arrogant and local. Internationally speaking that school doesn’t amount to a can of beans.[/quote]

OK. I agree with that. Going to NTU doesn’t mean the guy is smart. I thought the post below which I was referring to was making President Chen look stupid simply because he speaks Mandarin with an accent, which is not even his mother tongue. That is a cheap shot. But you guys are right. Anyway, I am not a Chen lackey, but denigrating Taiwan’s democracy is something that should not be tolerated, especially when it is working in your favor as it is with the Pro-Unificationist crowd.
[color=blue] *** Mod’s note: The quote below originated in the thread entitled “Politicallly Loaded Terms…”***[/color]

[quote=“Hobart”]especially when it is working in your favor as it is with the Pro-Unificationist crowd.
[/quote]

:no-no: Please don’t label me with that word :fume: It most certainly does not describe my political views accurately.

[quote] but denigrating Taiwan’s democracy is something that should not be tolerated
[/quote]
Why not? Isn’t that what a valid democracy is all about? Being able to tolerate & withstand criticism, however denigratory?

First of all, from what I can tell, ac_dropout commented more on the electorate than Chen’s intelligence. Second of all, I don’t care if Mandarin wasn’t Chen’s “mother” tongue, he went to school like anybody else and was taught it. In fact, isn’t it according to the TI storybook that “native” Taiwanese weren’t allowed to speak a peep of “mother” tongue, so there must have been a perfect language environment for learning Mandarin. If he is as brilliant as you make him out to be, he would speak Mandarin as a second language without accent. People learn languages without accent before the age of 12 or so. Chen doesn’t just have a little bit of an accent, he’s barely speaking Mandarin at all!

[quote=“Hobart”]
OK. I agree with that. Going to NTU doesn’t mean the guy is smart. I thought the post below which I was referring to was making President Chen look stupid simply because he speaks Mandarin with an accent, which is not even his mother tongue. [/quote]
How dare you made fun of my President? Even if, we are more likely pro-unification than some of you here but we should never insult a person’s intelligence, lest of all my president (has he been recalled yet?). Do you understand, Horbart.

zeugmite, I do believe that even if people where not able to speak Taiwanese, they did it as much as they could - otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to ear it now, maybe only some old folks speaking it. And just because you learn it in school does not mean you have proeficiency on it, does it?

Huh? why not? If a person proves himself again and again and again to be a bumbling clown and he’s supposed to be running the country, why on earth should people not question this? It’s called “democracy” beebee. Maybe you’ve heard of it?

The DPP wants to do something good for Taiwan? Like what?

So you do realize there is a pan-blue majority in Taiwan, I guess you’re not entirely confused…

He had 600 NT sushi lunches and had the audacity to cancel a 1000 NT National Unification Council, which snowballed into a huge mess for Taiwan. Even the USA refuse to address CSB as President when making remarks about this incident.

Well at least we agree the current admistration looks bad.

I think you talking about the handsome HK born politician on Taiwan.

No more silly than voting for someone because they speak with a Minnan accent or because they were shot at.

Huh? why not? If a person proves himself again and again and again to be a bumbling clown and he’s supposed to be running the country, why on earth should people not question this? It’s called “democracy” beebee. Maybe you’ve heard of it?[/quote]
Sandman, you are right that a democratic country seeks to guarantee their citizens freedom to question. However, the right to question does not allow people to made fun with the intent to made a mockery of a president. Anyway there is no much sympathy that I’ve for CSB except that the office of a president should not be contaminated when the next president comes in.

You have a lot to learn about what democracy really is. We have the inalienable right to mock and degrade and make a scapegoat out of our elected leaders. Just look at how every U.S. president gets treated as a supervillian.

[quote=“beebee”]Sandman, you are right that a democratic country seeks to guarantee their citizens freedom to question. However, the right to question does not allow people to made fun with the intent to made a mockery of a president.
–[/quote]
You’re wrong. The right to criticize or even mock our leaders is a fundamental aspect of a free, democratic society.

critice and mock is ok, allegate corruption cases involving the president without presenting solid rock proof is not…

AC - US cannot address CSB as president, it would be against their one-China one-whatever policy. If US does not officialy recognizes ROC (Taiwan) how can they officialy address CSB as the president? President of what??? The only “official” prime minister of the Republic of China is Hu Jintao, hehehehehe…

Do you really think that they are that stupid over there, or that the people over here would think that because of the scrapping of the NUC they would do that?

The US State Department can use the title President or Mister in their protocol for Taiwan. Their diplomatic slight that day was huge. First off they got an assistant deputy to make the annoucement. Then they refuse to address CSB with any title, not even a Mr. CSB.

This was the direct result of the scrapping of the NUC.

The guy is an idiot thinking he could pull a fast one on Washington DC and then blame it on the translators. You think the last superpower on the planet has the time or the interest to play word games with some island it barely recognizes? The USA made is very clear what the pecking order was in 1979.