The Cull Thread

To Cull Or Not To Cull, That Is The Question

• Yes, it is sometimes neccessary.
  • No, let nature take its course.

0 voters

Why doesn’t Taiwan have a nation-wide cull?

We can’t seperate the guilty from the innocent.

I have two dogs back home that I love very dearly, but I would put them down before I would leave them to suffer, and perpetuate, the fate of the poor disease-ridden, half-starved, parasite infested, lame, broken-back, creatures I’ve seen here.

I challenge anyone to argue that leaving animals to that fate humane.

Tigerman, I truly enjoyed that, thanks.

Dr. Z,

I agree with you, some of the suffering animals go through in Taiwan also makes me wonder if they should even be alive. But there has to be a better solution… :wink:

bobepine

Toasty wrote [quote]Howz about a nation wide cull? Whatever, man. I haven’t the time nor the inclination to educate you on all the ways that this attitude is just plain stupid. It suffices to say, posts advocating animal cruelty on a massive scale as a solution for human errors will be removed from Pets and Animals.[/quote]

Is this some kind of joke? Animal culls are sometimes needed for the overall good of the habitat. Think of the damage done by feral animals in countries such as New Zealand and Australia. And Taiwan for that matter.
In my opinion culling animals is a worthy topic of discussion for this forum.

[quote=“bobepine”]Tigerman, I truly enjoyed that, thanks.

Dr. Z,

I agree with you, some of the suffering animals go through in Taiwan also makes me wonder if they should even be alive. But there has to be a better solution… :wink:

bobepine[/quote]

I sincerely hope somebody discovers it soon.

Tigerman, that was a great link (and quote). I’m a sucker for stuff like that.

[quote=“Maoman”]Tigerman, that was a great link (and quote). I’m a sucker for stuff like that.

I have no problem with the discussion of euthanizing strays. It’s an unpleasant fact of life. If the government didn’t do it, the streets would be a ghastly mess, because we know that local attitudes to pet ownership isn’t what it should be in too many cases. I would hope that there are other effective alternatives, but that doesn’t mean something as widely practiced as rounding up and euthanizing strays should be a discussion taboo just because we disagree with it. It’s one solution, it’s widely practiced, why not discuss it? :idunno:[/quote]

Much agreed. It doesn’t seem as if this government is going to set aside a humane place for a stray dog to live out its life. The citizens here are still trying to get their own rights in place, let alone worry about an animal.

TM your post should go right with the right to lifers in the US. It was baised view guilting someone into feeling bad about choice that they made. When is that going to stop? Destorying any form of life IMO doesn’t have levels of improtance. It’s all the same. What needs to be respected is a person’s right to freedom to make a choice.

Unfortunatelya dog doesn’t have the freedom of choice in a situation like the above. And they need people like Stray dog and TM to speak out for them. But we also need people who are going to educate people about being accoutable for their actions, without the guilt trips.

I’d like to agree with you Namahottie but if presenting the facts the way they are makes you feel guilty…Maybe you should question the facts and not how they make you feel…

bobepine

I think you’ll find he’s been dead for years, hasn’t he?

Regarding stray dogs - I’m with Dr Zoid. Get rid of them, I say. Not that it’ll ever happen.

This is the land where a gobless cartoon pussy is queen, and people carry their ornamental mutts around in shopping baskets.

I don’t think so. I have no interest in respecting people’s choices if it means that an animal will be abandoned and will suffer in the process. I believe Tigerman’s post is the voice of an animal being abandoned and I’m glad that some people give a voice to these speechless beings.

bobepine[/quote]

Is culling a solution to burgeoning stray animal populations?

I think you’ll find he’s been dead for years, hasn’t he?

Regarding stray dogs - I’m with Dr Zoid. Get rid of them, I say. Not that it’ll ever happen.

This is the land where a gobless cartoon pussy is queen, and people carry their ornamental mutts around in shopping baskets.[/quote]

Yes, get rid of them, it makes me feel guilty. :wink: Besides dog shit stinks.

bobepine

I hope Sean can post the same figures he presented at Animals Taiwan Kaohsiung’s first meeting… Killing animals doesn’t work. CNR on the other hand can achieve wonders. All under a no-kill approach. Far more compassionate and responsible I think. I posted this in another thread but I’m posting it here too. Live with it. :wink:

Do I go home today?

[quote]My family brought me home cradled in their arms.
They cuddled me and smiled at me and said I was full of charm.
They played with me and laughed with me and showered me with toys.
I sure do love my family, especially the little girls and boys.
The children loved to feed me; they gave me special treats.
They even let me sleep with them - all snuggled in the sheets.
I used to go for walks, often several times a day.
They even fought to hold the leash, I’m very proud to say!
These are the things I’ll not forget - a cherished memory.
I now live in the shelter–without my family.
They used to laugh and praise me when I played with that old shoe.
But I didn’t know the difference between the old one and the new.
The kids and I would grab a rug, for hours we would tug.
So I thought I did the right thing when I chewed the bedroom rug.
They said I was out of control and would have to live outside.
This I didn’t understand, although I tried and tried!
The walks stopped, one by one; they said they hadn’t the time.
I wish that I could change things; I wish I knew my crime.
My life became so lonely in the backyard, on a chain.
I barked and barked all day long to keep from going insane.
So they brought me to the shelter but were embarrassed to say why.
They said I caused an allergy, and then they each kissed me goodbye.
If I’d only had some training as a little pup, I wouldn’t have been so hard to handle when I was all grown up.
“You only have one day left”, I heard a worker say.
Does that mean I have a second chance?
Do I go home today?[/quote]

bobepine

Australia culls 6 million kangaroos a year and also rounds up feral cats and has the army exterminate them.

[quote=“bobepine”]
bobepine[/quote]

Not sure where you’re coming from with the winky little emoticon thingy, but I don’t feel one iota of guilt for advocating the extermination of stray dogs.
The dogs are innocent, of course, but vermin nonetheless.
I’d be happier if all the shithead, negligent ex-“owners” of stray dogs were euthenised, rather than the dogs, but, unfortunately, that’s even less likely to happen.

[quote=“mod lang”]Australia culls 6 million kangaroos…[/quote]How many of them have been abandoned by people in the first place? I think there’s a difference between culling wild animals and domesticated animals but maybe I’m wrong. It just seems that by domesticating animals over the years, a responsibility would go along well. But maybe not.

bobepine

[quote=“Infidel”][quote=“bobepine”]
bobepine[/quote]

Not sure where you’re coming from with the winky little emoticon thingy…[/quote]I’m just trying to be friendly because this conversation could easily turn to dog shit. :wink:

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”] I posted this in another thread but I’m posting it here too. Live with it. :wink:

bobepine[/quote]

What? I’m not some condescending prig who thinks, because he has moderator status, he is the well-spring of all knowledge, and anyone voicing an opinion contrary to his own is uneducated and/or stupid.

No, you must be thinking of someone else.

[quote=“bobepine”]I’m just trying to be friendly because this conversation could easily turn to dog shit. :wink:

bobepine[/quote]

Fair enough. I’m not interested in having a shit fight.