The "Cup" and pubs?

Where will you watch the World Cup this year?
In the past, it was DV8, but now loads of sports bars in Taipei have sprung up and the last Cup had the Tavern writhing with English and other Euros.
Besides, the games are on at reasonable times this year, so I imagine people will be flowing out of the office and straight to …?

… Home. Everybody knows there’s only one ball game that’s even remotely interesting – and it requires TWO balls.

So Sandman, how long have you been playing croquet?

Hee hee! Anyway Alien, why don’t you just ask your little soccah 'ooligan friend? (Actually, you can save yourself the bother – I think he’ll be using the Intercontinental on Linsen N. Rd., as the Tav’s expected to be totally jam-packed.)

Footie’s not really my bag, but why don’t you just be honest with yourself? If you subconsciously enjoy being in heavily packed foreigner sports-bar, because, despite the drunken inanities, you enjoy being around people who really know the game - just go to the obvious places.

If that’s not your scene, given the fact that time really isn’t an issue - just about any old place will have it on, I’d guess. Chose the lower key place you like, confirm with the lao-ban, and tell your mates to meet you there.

If you have to be hearing Chinese spoken in the background – wouldn’t it be great to watch the Cup in a place like Shang Hai? (Or Yang-shuo even…) Mainlanders are fantical about their footie in a way that would seem familar to expat football fans. In Taiwan, it is still kind of a new fad.

Actually, I love watching the mad Englishmen chanting and butt patting and carrying on, like. It’s so endearing…

Sandy, I did ask the ‘ooligan and I know what e’s up ta. Jes wondrin’ what the rest of ya bollox are doin? It’s a cultural thang…
I don’t think there’s an auto-censor on bollocks. bollox, or ballicks.

Don’t mind me. I’m just a low class (and empty- headed ) moderator who tends to find some of the threads and flames around more entertaining than offensive. Down with bowdlerisation!

quote[quote] the last Cup had the Tavern writhing with English [/quote] An excellent reason not to go there...

I dunno. I can handle the English. It’s the Tavern that sucks. And getting excited about sports on tv.

quote:
Originally posted by Maoman: I dunno. I can handle the English. It's the Tavern that sucks. And getting excited about sports on tv. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

You got that right – 'aint it just the saddest thing to see?

Commmeeeeeeeeee onnnnn yeeeeeeee boysssss in greeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn

quote:
Originally posted by haobana: Commmeeeeeeeeee onnnnn yeeeeeeee boysssss in greeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn

Now what on earth’s a good Irish lad doing rooting for Cameroon?

Or maybe it’s Saudi Arabia.

quote:
Now what on earth’s a good Irish lad doing rooting for Cameroon?

I’m in with Alien. In Taiwan, a crowded pub with loads of atmosphere is the closest we’re going to get to the real thing back home. You get to see loads of old firends that rarely come out of the woodwork, and it’s something different to look forward to.

Sandman and Maoman may want to spend the time in Watersheds instead…

Me? I’ll take the Tavern anytime if Alien promises to pat my butt!
(Alien: I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon!)

Bartis,
I’ll be at Intercontinental tomorrow day, and Tavern next Friday for
EN-GUHHHHHHHHHHH-LAND vs Argentina!
Hope your butt is pat worthy.

Now I doubt the moderators would let me post a picture of my butt for you to decide in advance.

What was your scoop on the Intercontinental?

I have the fortune, mis or otherwise, to be travelling to Kaohsiung tomorrow where I will spend a fun filled (not!) few days toiling… anyone know a good* spot to retire to watch the games?

Note: good = cheap beer and atmosphere