The Da Vinci Code - The Movie

That would have been an immense improvement.

Sci-fiction you can lose yourself in because it is intended to be fantasy. There is no such thing as a time machine, but for the purpose of this or that movie you can believe there is and co-operate with the film makers effort to transport you into a different world. Unless of course the basic logic is completely flawed and as long as they aren’t broadsiding you every five minutes with an implausible plot twist or with corny lines or awful acting.

I wish I had the thing on DVD so I could rip it apart in closer detail but lets admit the stupididty started early on. First we get Tom Hanks giving a lecture to a bunch of university students who blurt out one line answers to his questions like kids in kindergarden. Next Tom manages to throw the police off his tracks by throwing the homing device into a garbage truck. Er, like the police might not have considered that possibility? On and on it went with one lame, corny escape after another and the truth is you didn’t care one way or another what happened to him or her or to the secret. So what if there is evidence that Jesus had children? Publish a study and maybe we can have a discussion. Would have to be better than making a movie that only the self lobotomized could fall for.

High expectations not having read the book, I went last Saturday eve.

First hour was OK, but it seems after a while I started to wonder how this movie could have been upwarded as such.
Next hour, I was not the only one anymore looking around and thinking what others were thinking. What the heck are we doing here…
Last 45 minutes I pushed myself to find some interest and to focus but yarning was occuring.

In a nutshell, I do agree with the C- score given on ICRT.
Shame. I forgot the content of the movie already. Not one to remember. No Oscars for this one for sure.

spoilers

I didn’t read the book, my girlfriend basically explained the concepts and I thought it was interesting. After that I was sort of looking forward to the movie.

The first bit was interesting but once the concept was introduced and the white haired guy was killed it really got very boring. I was told the ending was different as well.

All in all I think Da Vinci code can not really work as a movie. The whole point of the book it seems is to present a bunch of interesting concepts and possibilities, mostly through dialouge. That means that instead of reading the book or seeing the movie you can just get a friend to explain it to you in about 10 mins and u will be done with it.

Anybody else find it hard to see Ian Mckellin as a bad-guy?

I think he is really believable as a baddie when he is Magneto.

For Da Vinci, though, if he did not go nearly mad at the end, I think it would have been a hard sell. He pulls it off because his character is so passionate about the grail. His obsession makes him nutty and drives him to depravity. Evil isn’t the driving force - it’s passion gone wrong.

Crappy movie.

I’ve added a poll here.

Bob, you’ve gone and engaged way too many neurons to be involved in the simple act of watching a movie and being entertained. Apparently we have 10 billion of the little neuron suckers and if you could just have switched most of them off it could have been a thrilling movie.

I liked old wooden face Tom, not a patch on Ted Danson for rigidity though. On the negative side there were a few too many “get aways” from the point of a gun that must have worked in the book but were too close together in a film to be half believable.

Anyway, back to the orgy. VAVAVAVAVAVAVAAVAVAVAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sorry, Ironman. I was distracted by your avatar. That’s got to be painful.

Bob, I find it ironic a bit ironic that you’re defending the beliefs of Christianity and worried that someone might walk away with an inaccurate perception. :unamused:

This was a book that pretended to make people think. I suppose the movie was a badly-made facsimile of that. I don’t know as I haven’t seen it yet, but I’d love to see Jean Russo in a role where he doesn’t look like he wants to strangle his agent nor have any reason to (Pink Panther, anyone?). I sincerely pity that man for all the bad American movies he’s been in.

I have a feeling that his talent was wasted once more by this movie.

Oh, it made me think alright. It made think that the world has gone freaking stupid.

Fuck, I hated that movie.

Dinner at the Hyatt in Hangzhou the other night was delightful though despite the red being a tad sweet. And sitting here, as I am, in a hotel lobby atop the top of Huangshan with a bellyfull of bai jiu I’m inclined to be less verbose than I would usually be hick*

Finally went around to see the movie. Wasn’t bad but couldn’t really get excited about it. Perhaps I shouldn’t have read the book before, the movie didn’t come close. On the other hand reading the book did help to follow the story since many dialogues were in Latin or French (Chinese subtitles though).

The actors did ok but no outstanding performances, IMO. Liked the score. Will give it a 3 (out of 5).

i wouldnt say Tom Hanks is so bad there. In fact it’s a bad role, there is nothing to play really. The movie was ok, nothing really special though, and WAY too long. By the end we were like - come ON, what else is left there to show! And some parts were funny, when they were supposed to be running away from the police and yet were just walking away quite casually sharing stories etc.

Hey guys. I found this video which talks about the movie and Hollywoods associations with religion…thought you might like it: youtube.com/watch?v=64Z7_X7W … =supernews

I read the book first before watching the movie. I think it helped me a lot to have a better idea of the story. The book is good, makes me understand a bit more about Da Vinci and other material mention. The movie is a bit too long but usually that is what happened, look at Harry Potter for example.

I know lots of people don’t agree with the book or the movie but it’s just a book (fiction) and take it as it is. Some people took it a bit too far in regards to the religon side of it.

Yes, its always better not to think when you watch movies, especially movies about religion, history, and especially the sacred female and triangles and stuff.

Bob’s first post was spot on.

Was there any point other than to cash in and tick off Catholics?

I think it was an experiment to see how much conceptually flawed, inanely realized rubbish the public would tolerate. Lord knows why but apparently it is cheaper to make movies that are idiotic.