The damned thing

Dear old Dad, bless his heart, sent me a personal cheque for my birthday. I’m assuming it’s not worth the paper it’s written on here, or am I wrong? What to do with it? Serious suggestions only, origami doesn’t count.
That being said, if anyone here wants to write me a personal cheque for my birthday, I’d be much obliged. PM me for mailing details.

panic in Xindien, Ziggy

My aunt sent me 35 dollars for my birthday but they wanted 50 dollars to cash it so…

Anyone you know going back home?

[quote=“ziggy stardust”]Dear old Dad, bless his heart, sent me a personal cheque for my birthday. I’m assuming it’s not worth the paper it’s written on here, or am I wrong? What to do with it? Serious suggestions only, origami doesn’t count.
That being said, if anyone here wants to write me a personal cheque for my birthday, I’d be much obliged. PM me for mailing details.

panic in Xindian, Ziggy[/quote]

Is it a “large” sum of money (e.g. > $1500 USD)? If not, it is depositable at your bank. You’ll have to go to the foreign desk and fill out some forms. Should take you about 3-4 weeks to get it in the account. I’ve had no problems depositing US bank checks at my Chang Hwa bank.

just find out what they charge you for the service first. it was better for me to mail home the check i received here and stick it in the bank there, as they wanted 5% of it here …

Your local ICBC may be able to help. Expect 30 days or so and a small % for …“processing.”

Send it home. I friend once recieved a cheque for expenses. The amount was 100USD and it cost him over 150USD to cash it. And this was from Mastercard so he works for a bank. Oh, and he is Taiwanese. Send it home, have your Dad open a joint account for the 2 of you, then send you the ATM card. Then you can withdraw the money at your leisure.

thanks for the suggestion, but the cheque’s only for $50 USD. Probably not worth the effort.

CHB never charged me a fee for depositing my US checks into my CHB account.

I think I really appreciate CHB.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]CHB never charged me a fee for depositing my US checks into my CHB account.

I think I really appreciate CHB.[/quote]C h a n g h u a (Zhanghua) Bank? They’ve been good to me as well. No hassles, never any problems with ATMs abroad.

CHB has been wonderful for me as well. I got many small checks from the states as wedding gifts when I got married and instead of charging me for each one, they only charged me, if I remember correctly, $25 US dollars one time plus the currency exchange fees. It did take the checks four weeks to clear also.

Of topic, but they also gave me an unsecured Gold card with 120k NT limit. I do not know how I got that done, but I made sure I didn’t ask questions.

1. Burn the cheque
  2. Ring dear old dad and tell him how receiving a cheque in a foreign country is not pratical
  3. Tell him you stilll want the fifty and give him your account details.