The DC scandals

Well, at least thats the name Fox news have come up for the combination of Benghazi, IRS and DOJ ongoing scandals. Benghazi, once I heard it was a CIA operation kind of figured it would be eventually a dead end, the DOJ I’m not so sure, something about Eric Holder first claiming he didnt know anything, then he did but wasn’t lying and it seems to me everyone hides behind lawyer like talk these days. Obama’s claim he was totally calling Benghazi a terrorist attack, because once, near the beginning of the scandal, (check section 3, subsection J paragraph 3) he totally ambiguously and in a manner that might provide deniability whist not directly calling the attack a terrorist attack, does use the word terror. You can see Romneys head implode when he pulled that one.

Then there is Lois Lerner, I’m enjoying watching her performance. As far as I can work out, this is as high up in the IRS the scandal goes, and shes clammed up, refusing to testify and taking the fifth, but may have messed that up by making an opening statement, :slight_smile: . Today, someone else is saying, shes been doing this for close to 20 years. Well as far back as 1996.

Lois Lerner’s past exposed

Another new scandal.

Pretty brave (or stupid) guy to be a whistleblower in the current climate of going after whistleblowers, I think they will throw the book at him.

I don’t get the fuss over this latest wiretapping scandal*. I thought it was common knowledge for years that the NSA scanned pretty much everything electronic for certain key words and phrases, and that anything you post online or say into a phone could potentially be read or listened to by the govt. Why all the fuss now?

*I know why people don’t like the idea of it, and privacy element, but I don’t understand why everyone is shocked now.

The IRS is the only scandal.

The wiretapping has been going on for years, and Benghazi is the domain of right wing crackpots who are out to get Obama at any cost.

[quote=“Mick”]Another new scandal.

Pretty brave (or stupid) guy to be a whistleblower in the current climate of going after whistleblowers, I think they will throw the book at him.[/quote]

Who is this guy who’s been entrusted with all this?

[quote] According to the Guardian, Snowden is a 29-year-old high-school dropout who trained for the Army Special Forces before an injury forced him to leave the military. His IT credentials are apparently limited to a few “computer” classes he took at a community college in order to get his high-school equivalency degree—courses that he did not complete. His first job at the NSA was as a security guard. Then, amazingly, he moved up the ranks of the United States’ national security infrastructure: The CIA gave him a job in IT security. He was given diplomatic cover in Geneva. He was hired by Booz Allen Hamilton, the government contractor, which paid him $200,000 a year to work on the NSA’s computer systems.

He was accorded the NSA’s top security clearance, which allowed him to see and to download the agency’s most sensitive documents. But he didn’t just know about the NSA’s surveillance systems—he says he had the ability to use them. “I, sitting at my desk, certainly had the authorities [sic] to wiretap anyone from you or your accountant to a federal judge to even the president if I had a personal email,” he says in a video interview with the pape
[/quote]

slate.com/blogs/future_tense … other.html

My favorite part of this story is when he says he fled to Hong Kong because they have such a robust tradition of a freedom of the press.

Actually his quote was [quote] "they have a spirited commitment to free speech and the right of political dissent.”[/quote] which is a little better.

An interesting angle to it all: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-story-of-joseph-nacchio-and-the-nsa-2013-6

And some candy sprinkles: http://www.businessinsider.com/israelis-bugged-the-us-for-the-nsa-2013-6
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/19/seizure-of-ap-phone-records-on-capitol-hill-raises/?page=all

America got along fine without a police state for over two hundred years. Now it appears it can’t get along without torture, imprisonment without trial, drone lynchings, eavesdropping on its citizenry, and a Gulagtanamo deliberately established on the soil of one of the last vestiges of Stalinism on earth because its landlord, Fidel, can be relied upon to go along with such a travesty of justice without making a fuss. That could be because something fundamental has changed about the nature of evil. On the other hand it could just be for the same reason that any society has ever needed to resort to a police state to maintain security.

and by law the reporters must stay 3 days in Cuba… :roflmao:

[quote=“Icon”]

and by law the reporters must stay 3 days in Cuba… :roflmao:[/quote]
Even worse, no alcohol is served on the flight! The horror…

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]The IRS is the only scandal.

The wiretapping has been going on for years, and Benghazi is the domain of right wing crackpots who are out to get Obama at any cost.[/quote]

And now, not even that- though you’d never know it from the MSM.

Turns out the famous IG’s report on the targeting of Tea-partiers was requested by Congressional republicans and was specifically limited to checking on conservative groups.

[quote]

" The Treasury inspector general (IG) whose report helped drive the IRS targeting controversy says it limited its examination to conservative groups because of a request from House Republicans.

A spokesman for Russell George, Treasury's inspector general for tax administration, said they were asked by House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) "to narrowly focus on Tea Party organizations." "

This is important. The IG’s report helped create the scandal, pointing to special scrutiny applied to Tea Party groups, but ignoring comparable scrutiny of progressive organizations that didn’t fully come to light until this week. Why didn’t the Inspector General provide a fairer, more accurate, and more encompassing report? Because according to the IG himself, Republicans told him to paint an incomplete picture on purpose. [/quote]

The only scandal left is whether the Bush- appointed Inspector-General deliberately misled Congress by denying that progressive and liberal groups were also being targeted.

[quote]So the IG’s office is blaming Republicans and Republicans are blaming the IG’s office. Seven weeks after the political world pondered the prospect of president impeachment as a result of this story, it appears the only folks who aren’t accused of doing anything wrong are President Obama, his staff, and Democrats.

It’s funny how these things turn out, isn’t it? [/quote]

maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/ … ed-scandal