The Death Penalty

Please HG, there is plenty of holes in Australia’s legal system too. It

Like I said, I trust it to the tune of around 95%, I stand by that. Doh! dingo-baby snatchers . . . you’re right, the Northern Territory probably constitutes more than 5% of total cases. I’ll adjust down my optimism meter accordingly. :blush:

Still, elsewhere there is a fair deal of scrutiny, but they’re all such a bunch of boring bastards you’d never bother to hear them out.

HG

[quote=“Jaboney”]Ok, say we’re talking about a truly vicious, dangerous individual. No doubt of guilt; no chance of rehabilitation; no measure of restoration: it’s all and only about retribution.

Solitary lockup: 23.5 hours/ day, 7 days/ week, 365 days/ year, forever.[/quote]

Ok. Let’s make it personal. Are you willing to pay 50% of your income to keep Henry Anthony Sunderman (aged 32) in prison for the rest of his life? How long do you think he will live…40-50 more years? Personally, I’m not willing. The very idea that this evil piece of shit continues to breathe darkens my day. If asked by the state of Ohio, I would happily stick the barrel of a S&W .357 deep in his mouth, and hold it there while staring him in the eyes and pull the trigger. The world will be a better place without him soiling it.

Zoey Sunderman

[quote]
Man Charged With Raping, Killing 7-Month-Old Niece

STARK COUNTY, Ohio – A Stark County man has been charged with the rape and murder of his 7-month-old niece.

Waynesburg police said that Henry Anthony Sunderman, 32, called 911 on Friday morning. Paramedics found his niece, Zoey Sunderman, unresponsive. She died later that afternoon at Akron Children’s Hospital.

Sunderman was arrested after a short interview at his Canton home. Police said the man was caring for the infant, along with her 7-year-old brother and 5- and 2-year-old sisters, while their mother, 26-year-old Leslie Sunderman, was at work.

Henry Sunderman was on suicide watch at the Stark County Jail. Court records indicate an arrest record including domestic violence, aggravated menacing, driving under the influence and soliciting an undercover police officer for prostitution.

If Sunderman is convicted as charged, the infant’s death would mark the first murder in Waynesburg since 1999.[/quote]

newsnet5.com/news/7934621/detail.html

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Jaboney”]Ok, say we’re talking about a truly vicious, dangerous individual. No doubt of guilt; no chance of rehabilitation; no measure of restoration: it’s all and only about retribution.

Solitary lockup: 23.5 hours/ day, 7 days/ week, 365 days/ year, forever.[/quote]

Ok. Let’s make it personal. Are you willing to pay 50% of your income to keep Henry Anthony Sunderman (aged 32) in prison for the rest of his life? How long do you think he will live…40-50 more years? Personally, I’m not willing. The very idea that this evil piece of shit continues to breathe darkens my day. If asked by the state of Ohio, I would happily stick the barrel of a S&W .357 deep in his mouth, and hold it there while staring him in the eyes and pull the trigger. The world will be a better place without him soiling it.

Zoey Sunderman

[quote]
Man Charged With Raping, Killing 7-Month-Old Niece

STARK COUNTY, Ohio – A Stark County man has been charged with the rape and murder of his 7-month-old niece.

Waynesburg police said that Henry Anthony Sunderman, 32, called 911 on Friday morning. Paramedics found his niece, Zoey Sunderman, unresponsive. She died later that afternoon at Akron Children’s Hospital.

Sunderman was arrested after a short interview at his Canton home. Police said the man was caring for the infant, along with her 7-year-old brother and 5- and 2-year-old sisters, while their mother, 26-year-old Leslie Sunderman, was at work.

Henry Sunderman was on suicide watch at the Stark County Jail. Court records indicate an arrest record including domestic violence, aggravated menacing, driving under the influence and soliciting an undercover police officer for prostitution.

If Sunderman is convicted as charged, the infant’s death would mark the first murder in Waynesburg since 1999.[/quote]

newsnet5.com/news/7934621/detail.html[/quote]

Goddamnit, twice in one day I have to back you up.
Except, in a perfect world, there wouldn’t be any .357, it would be a dull Exacto knife, a cheese grater, and a soldering iron…and all the time in the world…

I suppose this may be construed as encouraging illegal activities…

Yes I have to admit, that’s one compelling argument right there.

HG

Ok, make it personal.

My views on rough justice differ significantly from yours. Rough justice isn’t justice, it’s vengence.

Earlier today, in another thread, I posted on the emergence of a rough-justice regime. I don’t read this as a sign of progress, and knowing how you feel about those characters, I have no doubt that we’re of one mind on this point. Why demonstrate that kind of brutality?

As for the costs, no one’s paying 50% tax solely to maintain prisons.
Besides which, capital punishment costs more than life imprisonment. Or do you intend to gut the justice system along with the prisons?

No doubt, the world will better with out this character in it.
But if the thought that he’s drawing breath darkens your day, imagine how i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-y… l-o-n-g… e-v-e-r-y… d-a-y of his miserable life now is.
Long. Empty. Miserable.
Why deny him that misery, or yourself the pleasure of knowing he suffers.

I’m happy to pay to support that.

It’s not Christian?

Depends on your theology. One school holds that the righteous will be able to gaze down from paradise, and seeing and hearing the suffering of the unrighteous, have their pleasure increased.

I don’t buy it. But I’m willing to support long-term imprisonment, and if such is Comrade Stalin’s pleasure, so be it. Personally, I find nothing in the scenario–not in the innocent death, not in the imprisonment/ execution/ wasted life of the bastard responsible–particularly satisfying.

[quote=“Jaboney”]
As for the costs, no one’s paying 50% tax solely to maintain prisons.[/quote]

Show us the courage of your convictions. Pretend it’s your personal good deed…kinda like adopting an African orphan…only instead of $10 a month you pay $1,000 a month. But as we all know, talk’s cheap, whiskey costs money.

It does in the US with endless appeals and lawyers. Not in Singapore. The so-called “justice system” in the US needs to be gutted. It benefits no one but the lawyers.

[quote=“Jaboney”]No doubt, the world will better with out this character in it.
But if the thought that he’s drawing breath darkens your day, imagine how i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-y… l-o-n-g… e-v-e-r-y… d-a-y of his miserable life now is.
Long. Empty. Miserable.
Why deny him that misery, or yourself the pleasure of knowing he suffers.[/quote]

And maybe he’ll get a sympathetic judge who’ll release him. Maybe he’ll move to Taiwan. Maybe he’ll teach English. Maybe he’ll end up being one of your neighbors.

[quote]
Australian accused of child rape attempt

February 2, 2006

An Australian man wanted for sexually abusing a young girl in Australia has been arrested in northern Thailand on charges of attempting to rape a two-year-old girl, police say.

Jason Daron Mizner, 31, was arrested on Wednesday in the city of Chiang Mai after his Thai girlfriend informed police he had taken her daughter for an overnight trip Monday and that the child appeared to have been sexually violated.

A medical examination of the child confirmed the suspicion, said police Col Montree Sampunyanoud.[/quote]

smh.com.au/news/World/Austra … 59449.html

I’ll just bet you are.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Depends on your theology. One school holds that the righteous will be able to gaze down from paradise, and seeing and hearing the suffering of the unrighteous, have their pleasure increased.

I don’t buy it. But I’m willing to support long-term imprisonment, and if such Comrade Stalin’s pleasure, so be it. Personally, I find nothing in the scenario–not in the innocent death, not in the imprisonment/ execution/ wasted life of the bastard responsible–particularly satisfying.[/quote]

Since when is punishment supposed to be satisfying?

I find your insecurity about your nation hilarious.

All uncertainties about guilt aside:

I don’t think the death penalty shoud exist as it is. I think hanging in the original sense of the word should be brought back. Being hung, drawn and quratered or burned at the stake for the more nasty people in society would be a sound idea. They could sell tickets to re-coup the cost.

Why?

Well, there’s your deterrant.

Today’s western society and our approach to civil liberties and rights and freedoms has spawned thousands of idiots who think they can get away with anything given good representation. Society today is too liberal, and with all the woolly-headed left wingers around, criminals seem to get a good deal.

And they should throw criminal defence lawyers on the pyre as well - they’re just as bad as the people who commit the crimes, often worse.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]
And they should throw criminal defence lawyers on the pyre as well - they’re just as bad as the people who commit the crimes, often worse.[/quote]

As the bard said:

“The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers” - Henry VI, Act IV, Scene II

[quote=“Jaboney”]Depends on your theology. One school holds that the righteous will be able to gaze down from paradise, and seeing and hearing the suffering of the unrighteous, have their pleasure increased.

I don’t buy it. But I’m willing to support long-term imprisonment, and if such Comrade Stalin’s pleasure, so be it. Personally, I find nothing in the scenario–not in the innocent death, not in the imprisonment/ execution/ wasted life of the bastard responsible–particularly satisfying.[/quote]

Well, it certainly does depend upon your theology.
For my way of thinking, there’s just no way that anyone who performs this kind of deed in this life is going to find peace or rest or comfort in the next, whatever that may be.
Certainly, it’s going to entail something worse (way worse) than simple boredom.
Jabs I fully understand where you’re coming from and I appreciate the well-considered nature of your position.
In this case, I’d say, it’s pretty personal, yeah.

Another grim case.

A pity nobody caught him in the act, unlike the chap that started smashing up the Erawan statue in Bangkok earlier today. Ironically, it could be curtains for Thaksin.

[quote]Thai man beaten to death for destroying sacred shrine
BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) – Worshippers at shrine beat a 27-year-old man to death in downtown Bangkok on Tuesday after he destroyed a famous statue of a Hindu deity with a hammer, police said.

Thanakorn Pakeepol, who police said had a history of mental disorder, was killed by worshippers after he broke into the Erawan Shrine and used a hammer to shatter a four-headed statue of Brahma to which thousands of Thais come to seek favors and good fortune every day.[/quote]

Still, there are those strange Thai forces that collude to drive otherwise sane men to their death leaps off Pattaya condos to consider in a report like this. Though having been a suspect in Oz screams that’s not the case here.

HG

:idunno: Nietzsche thought the satisfaction of inflicting pain was noble, and the whole dynamic instrumental in creating a creature capable of keeping promises. I don’t know where Comrade Stalin is coming from.

Comrade, depends on my income, but sure, I’d cough up $1000/m. Taxes are the price of living in a civilized society. Comes pretty cheap at that.

Chief, I fully appreciate how personal and emotionally charged these issues can be. That’s why interested parties have a carefully constrained role in a just court. Certainly there are situations in which I’d be out for blood. If so, society will have a just claim on me. All the more reason to pay those taxes, eh Comrade?

It’s called the Real World. You wouldn’t like it.

I didn’t write New Taiwan Dollars or Canadian Dollars, did I? I was talking about [i]real[/i] money. Greenbacks. Still think it’s cheap? Anyway it’s typical…pay someone else to sweep the dirt under the rug. Don’t deal with it yourself.

Ah…but you [i]know[/i] you’ll never have to pay for or take responsibility for your beliefs.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Depends on your theology. One school holds that the righteous will be able to gaze down from paradise, and seeing and hearing the suffering of the unrighteous, have their pleasure increased.[/quote]Jaboney -
I’d like to see some source on this allegation.
What “school” are you referring to here?
What book, what context, what chapter & verse?
Just asking…?

Ah…but you [i]know[/i] you’ll never have to pay for or take responsibility for your beliefs.[/quote] :roflmao: Practicing tolerance–you know, Comrade, online–to better live it in reality… sometimes even that requires sacrifice. :laughing:
Don’t think my beliefs come consequence free. :rainbow:

TainanCowboy: sure, happy to do so. Will you respond this time?

Edit: Just giving you a hard time after I did all that research for you before and you never so much as acknowledged reading it. Here’s two instances of the Chapter and Verse:

Rev. 6:9-11, Rev. 14:9-11

I’ll leave the schools to you. (Not a school, but just for fun, check out Dante.)

The death penalty is a feature common to pretty much all dictatorships, particularly Communist ones. Why would any civilized person want to be in league with Commies?

Because both have out of control nutbars who are for whatever reason beyond contempt, shame, guilt and help and do little but inflict their personal hells on innocent people, and usually the weak ones at that.

We’re not talking about putting someone to death for stealing bread here, or for white collar crimes, but the worst of the worst. Some people would rather lock them up for life; some say the system we have in place now, in the US, is good and gets better, with science, over time, so once the appeals process has run out, either you’re in luck or you’re out… permanently.

Locking someone up for life to me is a crime against humanity.

Death is a punishment reserved for those very few people who have proven without doubt (through either a history of violence and mayhem, or a single act so despicable that no forgiveness can be found for them) that there is no reasonable belief that rehabilitation and reintroduction into civiization was possible.

anyway, that’s how I see it.
jds