The definition of child abuse: Now in Video!

[quote]Myfoxhouston.com is reporting a physical education teacher at Jamie’s House Charter School in northwest Houston allegedly punched, kicked and slammed a 13-year-old student’s head against the wall as another student filmed the incident.

In the video you can hear other students laughing while the beating is taking place:[/quote]

“Allegedly?”

That’s a joke, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uyDlNA9pXo

That brat sounded like a nasty little shit to be sure, and the mommy is for sure out to milk it for all its worth, but damn! When is it EVER acceptable for a teacher to react like that? :noway:

Probably just what the little farker deserved.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Probably just what the little farker deserved.

HG[/quote]
Yeah…that’s JUST the behavior these kids need to see. :doh:

Not that I disagree with you… :laughing:

Well I can’t see the issue, since the kid was well and truly disciplined. I guess that’s progress. :laughing:

HG

so many videos staged after one real incident went viral. Think this is fake. The person knew they were being filmed, no teacher would continue to do that knowing that they will be all over Youtube.

Sherri Davis, a science teacher at Jamie’s House Charter School, allegedly backed 13-year-old Isaiah Johnson into a corner and began beating him while his classmates watched.

At the beginning of the video you can hear the laughter and applause from the students as Isaiah is backed into a corner by Davis after Isaiah reportedly teased a female classmate. But Janiqua Johnson, a student who shot the video on her cell phone, says Davis “snapped” and started beating the 13-year-old, according to CBS affiliate KHOU.

The teacher “just started beating him up,” Janiqua Johnson told KHOU. “His behavior may have been bad but he didn’t deserve that,” Johnson said, referring to the teasing that preceded the alleged beating.

Davis was placed on administrative leave when school officials learned of the incident in late April, but was fired Monday when officials saw the video. [/quote]
cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- … 04083.html

Oh, you guys just have no idea. That woman should never be allowed anywhere near a school again. There is just no reason for that.

The kids in my classroom regularly try to find ways to tear eachother limb from limb. There is just no excuse what-so-ever for that woman’s behavior.

A child in my class maliciously struck me once this month. But I did not strike that child back. I am an adult. And she wasn’t getting her meds. If she’d wanted to do real harm to me, she could have.

Her main problem is that she’s the biggest spoiled rotten brat in the world. She really, really, really needs a very sound spanking. But I’m not her mom (thank God), I’m her teacher. Part of my job is to set a proper example of behavior for her and try to get her to follow form. (Not un-like a mom, but her own mother hasn’t grasped the concept.)

If I can deal with the unbelievable crap I’ve dealt with this year without “snapping” and beating a kid, then no one anywhere, ever, has any excuse.

(I wouldn’t allow her to stay in my classroom that day, though. Admin had to come and try to take her out of the room, but she refused to go. The principal called the police and the cop nearly had her handcuffed before they got her to move. But I did not so much as raise my voice.)

[quote=“housecat”]Oh, you guys just have no idea. That woman should never be allowed anywhere near a school again. There is just no reason for that.

The kids in my classroom regularly try to find ways to tear eachother limb from limb. There is just no excuse what-so-ever for that woman’s behavior.

A child in my class maliciously struck me once this month. But I did not strike that child back. I am an adult. And she wasn’t getting her meds. If she’d wanted to do real harm to me, she could have.

Her main problem is that she’s the biggest spoiled rotten brat in the world. She really, really, really needs a very sound spanking. But I’m not her mom (thank God), I’m her teacher. Part of my job is to set a proper example of behavior for her and try to get her to follow form. (Not un-like a mom, but her own mother hasn’t grasped the concept.)

If I can deal with the unbelievable crap I’ve dealt with this year without “snapping” and beating a kid, then no one anywhere, ever, has any excuse.

(I wouldn’t allow her to stay in my classroom that day, though. Admin had to come and try to take her out of the room, but she refused to go. The principal called the police and the cop nearly had her handcuffed before they got her to move. But I did not so much as raise my voice.)[/quote]

Amen, Housecat. Lil’ monster should have had a strap put to his behind… :laughing:

But these kids are being raised in a culture of violence. Is it right for a teacher to hit a kid? No effin’ way. But swear to God I can understand getting to that point. Administrators who place you in these classrooms give you absolutely no support, but want you to work more hours than anyone in their right minds should. Remember this is a charter school. Then you deal with spawn of the Devil and their parents whose attitude toward authority is right up there with the characters of Boyz in the Hood.

And anti-union/teacher folks will probably use these types of videos to promote cracking down ON teachers rather than on parents, administrators and out of control bureaucracy that needs so much attention.

I work at a charter school, too.

Yes, none of what led to that moment will ever be important. Just the fact that the teacher did a terrible thing. The kid, his parents, the socio-economic environment, local culture–all completely off the hook. The teacher and the district will now pay the bill in full.

And in my opinion, the tab should be compounded for each day it took the district officials to get around to viewing that video because that delay is symptomatic of the general apathetic attitude that allowed that situation to develop.

Keep in mind, that video was shot in Texas – land of big trucks, big guns, big men like George Bush, capital punishment, frontier justice and apparently harsh treatment of children. Recall the systemic abuse in their juvenile detention system.

[quote]More than three years after allegations of rampant sexual abuse of teenage inmates upended the Texas Youth Commission, one of two former jail administrators accused in the case is set to stand trial. . .

A lengthy and detailed report from Texas Rangers investigators, which wasn’t acted upon for two years, said Brookins and Hernandez summoned young male inmates from their dorms late at night to ball fields, darkened conference rooms, offices and ball fields for sex for at least two years. . .

In one instance, investigators alleged, an inmate who resisted Brookins’ advances reported Brookins threatened to keep the boy locked up until he was 21 unless he complied. . .

The lurid allegations became public in 2007 when the Rangers report was brought to the attention of lawmakers in Austin and prompted an outcry from legislators and parents of teens jailed at other TYC facilities.

Widespread allegations of abuses and inmates being held beyond their sentences at TYC jails across the state quickly emerged and state officials launched an agency-wide probe aimed at rooting out problem employees.

In the wake of the Pyote revelations, TYC’s top two administrators lost their jobs. The probe also led to the release of at least 550 inmates who had completed their minimum sentences and hadn’t caused any trouble behind bars.

TYC officials weren’t the only ones caught up in the abuse scandal.

Ward County District Attorney Randall W. “Randy” Reynolds received the Rangers report in 2005 and was accused of failing to act on it. . . [/quote]
chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met … 64722.html

Yeehaaaaa. . . Ride 'em cowboys. . .

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Keep in mind, that video was shot in Texas – land of big trucks, big guns, big men like George Bush, capital punishment, frontier justice and apparently harsh treatment of children. Recall the systemic abuse in their juvenile detention system.

[quote]More than three years after allegations of rampant sexual abuse of teenage inmates upended the Texas Youth Commission, one of two former jail administrators accused in the case is set to stand trial. . .

A lengthy and detailed report from Texas Rangers investigators, which wasn’t acted upon for two years, said Brookins and Hernandez summoned young male inmates from their dorms late at night to ball fields, darkened conference rooms, offices and ball fields for sex for at least two years. . .

In one instance, investigators alleged, an inmate who resisted Brookins’ advances reported Brookins threatened to keep the boy locked up until he was 21 unless he complied. . .

The lurid allegations became public in 2007 when the Rangers report was brought to the attention of lawmakers in Austin and prompted an outcry from legislators and parents of teens jailed at other TYC facilities.

Widespread allegations of abuses and inmates being held beyond their sentences at TYC jails across the state quickly emerged and state officials launched an agency-wide probe aimed at rooting out problem employees.

In the wake of the Pyote revelations, TYC’s top two administrators lost their jobs. The probe also led to the release of at least 550 inmates who had completed their minimum sentences and hadn’t caused any trouble behind bars.

TYC officials weren’t the only ones caught up in the abuse scandal.

Ward County District Attorney Randall W. “Randy” Reynolds received the Rangers report in 2005 and was accused of failing to act on it. . . [/quote]
chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met … 64722.html

Yeehaaaaa. . . Ride 'em cowboys. . .[/quote]

And add Shaquanda Cotton to that list…

One of the behavior counselors who works with some of the students in my class came today and brought up this video (in the OP). She said it was shown on the national news and that listening to her, she was hearing me! That poor teacher.

It may be hard to hear me call her poor after watching what she’s done–and I have posted already that there is no excuse for it. But I have just so been there all year–a classroom full of horrid behavior and desperatly needy students and NO SUPPORT. The system as it is in my school, and I can well imagine her’s, is set up to create these kinds of incidents. It just really, trully is.

The more I think about it, the more badly I feel for her, she’ll never work again as a teacher and will likely have a permanant criminal record as well. And that behavior counselor has been invaluable to my para and I this year, keeping us sane, giving us an outlet, someone to talk to to help difuse the frustration. She really was our counselor, as well as the kid’s.

And you guys also helped by listening. Thank you.