The Deportation of Ben Hlavaty

First of all,it’s brutal that anyone with a Taiwan national as a child could be deported, especially when they have done nothing wrong.

That being said, this again should serve as a warning that foreigners should not work for Taiwan government ministries/quasi-government entities. At the end of the day, their continued employment depends on the goodwill of the Secretary General or Director of that organization and the political appointment nature of these organizations often means real pricks and sycophants will be appointed. That makes foreigners vulnerable as they don’t have the same degree of protection as normal civil servants.

Ben criticizes the Ma administration for firing him without cause, but this was also done by Chen’s hacks under the DPP. Furthermore, his writings have been pretty anti-corporate/business. Perhaps the Ma administration didn’t want a troublemaking foreigner in such a position. Still breaking up a family is pretty nasty.

And by taking them to arbitration over wrongful dismissal? Really bad strategy on his part. You are only asking for trouble. He made them lose face and they did what they could to screw him. He shouldn’t have went after the 3 months salary. Or he should have found employment before taking on his old employer. You only should bad mouth your ex-employer if your new one has more guanxi!!! :laughing:

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 03529394/1

[quote]
Despite environmental damage and protests causing many mining companies to leave the Philippines in the 1980s, the Philippines-based Lepanto Mining is continuing its highly controversial operations in Mankayan in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).

What is more, some transnational mining corporations are making deals with the administration of President Gloria Arroyo to get in on the schemes. The latest of these, and one whose recent gold-mining operations have been causing irrevocable damage to the environment, is the Australian mining company Royalco. [/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 03443093/1

It sounds like he needs a better lawyer.

from what I read I misunderstood the concept of ARC and working permit. They renewed his ARC but not his working permit and he simply failed to double check. It’s really harsh to deport him but it is his own fault in my point of view. Perhaps he can come back on a new visa?

How did they renew his ARC without a new work permit? Seems like something is missing?

I am having the same problem right now (wrote it in the other thread) - an ARC and working permit are two different things. However he worked there three months illegal and even wants that pay for the three months… that’s what caused the problems… just a little bit stupid if you ask me

You need a work permit to get your ARC renewed, IIRC. Why is his son being separated from him?(if that’s the case)

[quote=“ChewDawg”]First of all,it’s brutal that anyone with a Taiwan national as a child could be deported, especially when they have done nothing wrong.

That being said, this again should serve as a warning that foreigners should not work for Taiwan government ministries/quasi-government entities. At the end of the day, their continued employment depends on the goodwill of the Secretary General or Director of that organization and the political appointment nature of these organizations often means real pricks and sycophants will be appointed. That makes foreigners vulnerable as they don’t have the same degree of protection as normal civil servants.

Ben criticizes the Ma administration for firing him without cause, but this was also done by Chen’s hacks under the DPP. Furthermore, his writings have been pretty anti-corporate/business. Perhaps the Ma administration didn’t want a troublemaking foreigner in such a position. Still breaking up a family is pretty nasty.

And by taking them to arbitration over wrongful dismissal? Really bad strategy on his part. You are only asking for trouble. He made them lose face and they did what they could to screw him. He shouldn’t have went after the 3 months salary. Or he should have found employment before taking on his old employer. You only should bad mouth your ex-employer if your new one has more guanxi!!! :laughing:

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 03529394/1

[quote]
Despite environmental damage and protests causing many mining companies to leave the Philippines in the 1980s, the Philippines-based Lepanto Mining is continuing its highly controversial operations in Mankayan in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).

What is more, some transnational mining corporations are making deals with the administration of President Gloria Arroyo to get in on the schemes. The latest of these, and one whose recent gold-mining operations have been causing irrevocable damage to the environment, is the Australian mining company Royalco. [/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 03443093/1[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong, but surely he was legible for a JFRV?
My understanding is that if you have a child with a Taiwanese national and are not married/divorced, the authorities will grant you a JFRV until the child is 18, so you can support him/her?

Not sure if he was ever married, so maybe it only is applicable with divorce?

[quote=“bigduke6”]Correct me if I am wrong, but surely he was legible for a JFRV?
My understanding is that if you have a child with a Taiwanese national and are not married/divorced, the authorities will grant you a JFRV until the child is 18, so you can support him/her?

Not sure if he was ever married, so maybe it only is applicable with divorce?[/quote]You’re wrong according to Housecat. She tried to get a JFRV ARC through her son and was shot down. Nobody here wants you and your mongrel children further polluting the blood of the noble Han race.

[quote=“Okami”][quote=“bigduke6”]Correct me if I am wrong, but surely he was legible for a JFRV?

Not sure if he was ever married, so maybe it only is applicable with divorce?[/quote]You’re wrong according to Housecat. She tried to get a JFRV ARC through her son and was shot down. Nobody here wants you and your mongrel children further polluting the blood of the noble Han race.[/quote]

I think the Han race is already as polluted as the drain under my kitchen window…

However, I did read somewhere on this forum that they would grant a JFRV in order for a parent to support a Taiwan national until they are 18. I will try to find the relevant posting. I think it might be only on the death of a spouse?

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the relevant laws can advise?

EDIT: Found the post: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … e#p1383628

It happened to me. I got an ARC and the immigration office mixed up my work permit with that of another person. The other person’s work permit expired well before my ARC expired and the problem was spotted when I went to renew my ARC. I was to be deported, and the only reason I didn’t get kicked out is because I know a couple of key people in immigration who pulled a couple of strings for me. I still had to pay a fine and it was very touch and go.
Of course, I should have double checked and spotted the mistake - a mistake made entirely by the immigration authority - but even though the mistake was theirs, they immigration authority had no intention of sucking up the blame.
You have to be so careful.

That guy Ben worked for me once for, like, one afternoon. Nice guy but pretty flaky. Not surprised he’d get into this sort of a muddle.

[quote=“Okami”][quote=“bigduke6”]Correct me if I am wrong, but surely he was legible for a JFRV?

Not sure if he was ever married, so maybe it only is applicable with divorce?[/quote]You’re wrong according to Housecat. She tried to get a JFRV ARC through her son and was shot down. Nobody here wants you and your mongrel children further polluting the blood of the noble Han race.[/quote]
I wasn’t shot down in by Taiwanese immigration. My problem was getting the FBI to accept my fingerprints! It took two years! Taiwanese immigration has been fabulous, actually.

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“Okami”][quote=“bigduke6”]Correct me if I am wrong, but surely he was legible for a JFRV?

I wasn’t shot down in by Taiwanese immigration. My problem was getting the FBI to accept my fingerprints! It took two years! Taiwanese immigration has been fabulous, actually.[/quote]
My mistake, congratulations on your JFRV. I just want to note there is bad luck and then there is Housecat luck. :whistle:

[quote=“Okami”][quote=“housecat”][quote=“Okami”][quote=“bigduke6”]Correct me if I am wrong, but surely he was legible for a JFRV?

I wasn’t shot down in by Taiwanese immigration. My problem was getting the FBI to accept my fingerprints! It took two years! Taiwanese immigration has been fabulous, actually.[/quote]
My mistake, congratulations on your JFRV. I just want to note there is bad luck and then there is Housecat luck. :whistle:[/quote]
You aren’t the only one to note this.

It happened to me. I got an ARC and the immigration office mixed up my work permit with that of another person. The other person’s work permit expired well before my ARC expired and the problem was spotted when I went to renew my ARC. I was to be deported, and the only reason I didn’t get kicked out is because I know a couple of key people in immigration who pulled a couple of strings for me. I still had to pay a fine and it was very touch and go.
Of course, I should have double checked and spotted the mistake - a mistake made entirely by the immigration authority - but even though the mistake was theirs, they immigration authority had no intention of sucking up the blame.
You have to be so careful.[/quote]

Also, in some cases there may be (or historically have been) vagueness about what constitutes a “work permit” (unlike an ARC which is a standardized document). In the past (don’t know whether this still happens today), I know that some government agencies hiring foreigners would directly issue letters to the immigration authorities asking them to issue ARCs, and the immigration authorities would do so on that basis, even though those hiring agencies were not the agencies officially charged with issuing “work permits.” There may be an issue in retrospect as to whether those letters can actually be considered “work permits.” It seems to me this shouldn’t be the employee’s fault, but they may still suffer the consequences. In some cases those letters may also be hard to track down or have been lost or not kept in proper files.

This is very insightful.

[quote=“housecat”]

This contradicts what you said in 2010 here:

and here:

Can you clarify? I think Ben Hlavaty would be very interested.

[quote=“spaint”][quote=“housecat”]

This contradicts what you said in 2010 here:

and here:

Can you clarify? I think Ben Hlavaty would be very interested.[/quote]

Yes, I can.

OUTSIDE of TAiwan, before I ever landed here, I tried several times to apply for the visa I just picked up today, but they would not grant it to me for the reason I stated in the other thread. A second factor may be that my ex’s family member is in charge of issuing these visas, although not in the office where I applied. Maybe that had no bearing, I don’t really know. But most countries will not issue a visa to a foreigner based on being a family member of a minor citizen.

INSIDE of Taiwan, I’ve been told to apply for this visa many times. I believe this is because I am my son’s sole guardian. He is a citizen. If they deport me, there is no one else to support him. Ben Hlavarty may not have the same result that I’ve had if his son’s Taiwanese family have any custodial rights to him. If there is a mother, or other responsible Taiwanese family, Ben may be out of luck. But in MY case, if they ask me to leave, they leave a minor Taiwanese citizen without support and create a ward of the state. Of course, I could and WOULD take him with me, but they also can’t (don’t want to) create a situation that would cause a citizen to be forced to live in another country.

The troubles I had with this were getting the FBI to accept my fingerprints because the ALWAYS come out wierd due to a skin problem I have called Eczema, even when my fingers look fine. I had the same problems in the States doing the same kind of prints for teaching jobs, but in that case it was much easier to call and clear things up. From here, it takes six weeks per rejection, and I’ve had to re-submit several times and wait for them to reject them again! The Immigrations office was ready to accept the next rejection letter I got, but this last time the FBI finally accepted the prints!

So, there you have it.

Thank you very much for sharing, Housecat.

The fingerprint issue leaves one quite incredulous.

Here’s some info from the 'net:

[quote]We can conclude that frequencies of various patterns of skin ridges differ in [color=#000080]eczema[/color], psoriasis and alopecia areata from normal population.[/quote]–H. Pour-Jafari et al., Abstract, “Dermatoglyphics in patients with [color=#000080]eczema[/color], psoriasis and alopecia areata,” Skin Research and Technology, Volume 9, Issue 3, pages 240–244, August 2003 onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 … x/abstract

[quote]. . . everyday life conditions can also cause deformations of the fingerprint, for instance as a result of doing manual work or playing an instrument. Certain conditions, such as arthritis, affect the ease of use of fingerprint readers. Other conditions such as [color=#000080]eczema[/color], may affect the fingerprint itself. It is estimated that circa five per cent of people would not be able to register and deliver a readable fingerprint.[/quote]–“Authentication Technologies,” from the Biometrics and Authentication in Elearning wiki biometrics.pbworks.com/w/page/14 … chnologies

[quote]Illegible prints can be returned due to the quality and characteristics of the fingers such as coned shaped, sweaty, too dry, cracked, too smooth, worn ridges, worn deltas, [color=#000080]eczema[/color] and many other reasons.[/quote]–Statutory Fingerprinting and Notary, Inc., “What if my fingerprints are rejected or illegible?” from “Frequently Asked Questions” fingerprintingnotary.com/wordpress/?page_id=55