The Diner

[quote=“tango42”]No no no, the food at the Diner on Dunhua is very bad. Do not go there.
[/quote]

Um… care to clarify your last two posts tango?

Again, I’d say the breakfasts and burgers are top-notch, but to balance out my positive post I would have to say the chili is a no-pass. It can best be likened to cubes of dry steak marinated in chili powder. Instead of rich and hearty, it’s just chewy…

[quote=“tango42”]No no no, the food at the Diner on Dunhua is very bad. Do not go there.
[/quote]

Um… care to clarify your last two posts tango?

Again, I’d say the breakfasts and burgers are top-notch, but to balance out my positive post I would have to say the chili is a no-pass. It can best be likened to cubes of dry steak marinated in chili powder. Intread of rich and hearty, it’s just chewy…[/quote]
It’s obvious. He wants the place all to himself. He should do like I do and go on a weekday about 3 or 4pm.

I walked by the original location a few weeks ago and it was closed and they were demolishing the building next to it. I hope they are open now.

They were open when I went there on Sunday night.
The building beside it was gone.

[quote=“Josefus”]They were open when I went there on Sunday night.
The building beside it was gone.[/quote]
I’m relieved. Thank you.

I’m comparing the pancakes between the new one and the old one. So far the old one is better. they’re lighter and fluffier. I need one more sample to be sure.

Yeah, I made it in for DnD Brunch once. And that was after nearly an hour wait. Carnegie’s is much more accomodating and even though they don’t have a huge menu for breakfast options, the food is just as good.

Foodwise, Carnegie’s and The Diner East are on par with each other, but unless you prefer to work up your appetite watching others eat for an hour before you can be seated, I highly recommend avoiding it on the weekends.

Strange, never had to wait more than 10 min to get in to the Diner, weekday or weekend.
Maybe we were just lucky…

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Strange, never had to wait more than 10 min to get in to the Diner, weekday or weekend.
Maybe we were just lucky…[/quote]

Really? I think you’re pretty lucky because practically every time I’ve been there it’s a 30 minute wait. It’s usually on a Saturday so I can understand. But it really sucks when you’re hungry as hell and you have to wait. I’m not the most patient person anyway, especially when the hunger kicks in.

The Diner has the best cheeseburger in Taipei

I agree…the Diner has the best cheeseburger in Taipei…they just have that magic greasy spoon touch. It reminds of some of my favorite truck stop diners back home (in the States). Every other place seems to try too hard.

I like Malibu West, too. The Diner cheeseburger has got to be number one or two.

Well, I’m sorry, but I thought they were really good and they had good buns too. The diner is ok, but the last time I was there I had a really bad burger experience, maybe that’s tainting my judgement :wink:

Beware Diner fans!We went to the original location today to get our brunch fix to find they were closed due to remodeling or something.We managed to ‘scoot’ over to the Tun Hwa branch so all was not lost.I found the hollandaise sauce to be a tad watery.The service was friendly and efficient and our orders arrived quickly and together :bravo: .

Yeah, they have a new place there. It’s a little bit bigger. It has that new diner smell. I had a Denver omelet. 220NT is a great price for that. They should jack up the prices. I don’t know how they stay in business.

I can’t believe it either. 3 friggin’ years! Even if you didn’t listen to me at least you could listen to the better council like the in-house resident experts DOC and Tigerman or tigerboy!

Just joking. :wink:

You only have to remember “jumbo burger”. That is all you need to know. :slight_smile:

My sister got bitten and permanently disfigured as a result of a dog being near her. This was a dog that was apparently “under control”.[/quote]

That is not a dog-in-restaurant issue, now is it? That’s a dangerous dog issue.

My friend was attacked an permanently disfigured by a guy from London. He still sits next to Londoners in restaurants. :wink:[/quote]

Sorry to rustle up this old gem, im sitting here a bit hungry and enjoying reading this thread from the beginning. This IS a funny quote! Iv been stopped at a steakhouse in Taipei because they thought I had a dog (in a carry case) but was allowed in since it was my persian cat (which stayed in his carry case).

I agree restaurants shouldnt allow dogs (perhaps ok if they are tiny and in their carry cases?).

I did see a pretty young girl with her tiny pooch at a Starbucks in Taipei a few months ago. I suppose *bucks allows that?

Eggs Benedict. Oh my goodness. :notworthy:

Eggs Benedict. Oh my goodness. :notworthy:[/quote]

Glad you found out that the answer wasn’t really 42.

All in all it ends up being about the small pleasures in life, doesn’t it?

:bow:

Went back to the original location today and they have put in a second floor. I guess that’s what the construction was about. I tried the spaghetti and meatballs, which are not bad, but I’ve had better. This is the kind of place that makes you want to try everything on their menu. So far the only thing I’ve been disappointed in is the country fried steak. I especially like the hamburger and the chili. The wait staff at the original Diner is far more attractive than at the new one. They have uniforms at the new location, by Carnegies.

I think that’s what Dragonbabe ordered, the only time we went there (which explains why we only went once). They should cut that crap from their menu.