The Diner

Definitely will have to add that cheeseburger to the list of meritorious burgers in Taipei.
I just wish it was closer to home. We took the bus and MRT and then afterwards walked through the Da’an Forest Park and chased pigeons and played on the slides and stuff.

I went today for brunch. I had the Hog Heaven omlet. Didn’t care for it. The omelet seemed a bit dry for my tastes, the hash browns-too small a portion and not cooked firm enough(But hard to do when it’s from fresh potatoes.) Overall I’m not going back anytime soon, probably only if I’m with friends.

We tried The Diner out yesterday.
I had the Jumbo Burger, and finished it all. :slight_smile:
No food related complaints at all, but they forgot to bring me my drink.
The English of our server wasn’t great, but I could hear the other waitresses speaking English very well.
Overall a good experience, and I’ll definitely be back to try out other menu items. :lick:

I tried it out this weekend, thanks for the recomendation!

The food was yummy and reasonably priced, the service was rather slow and a little unattentive, but no worse than most other places here. I’ll deffinatly go again :smiley:

we ate at the diner for brunch today. observations…

atmosphere and decor

lovely, felt like a nice inner city cafe/breakfast back home. could have been melbourne, sydney, brisbane

service

attentive if a little forgetful

food

not bad
my wife had the eggs benedict. the english muffins were lovely, not a hint of sugar overload. hol sauce was very nice as was the ham, hash browns and eggs. only thing missing was some nice wilted spinach
i had the breakfast burrito. again, quite nice but lacking in imagination… ie it had all the right stuff but lacked a little something extra, be it herbs or something, not sure

all in all a nice way to spend a sunday. with a fair share of foreigners enjoying the sunny morning word is out and we will be back

I’ve eaten at the diner 7-8 times since it opened and have recommended it highly to friends.

• Amy cares about the quality of ingredients - once she rushed over to offer me freshly ground pepper for my salad
  • Good value - don’t know about the double-cheeseburger posters here, but the club sandwich kept me full through two meals. I’m partial to the Gardenburger. I think the hashbrowns are better than the home fries.
  • Pleasant atmosphere, plus I think there is free wireless Internet.

Some of the items are so-so (i.e. the apple pie and pecan (really walnut) pie are from Costco), but the staff was quick to fix the rootbeer float when we told them that ice cream floats just fine in rootbeer they don’t usually come with ice to prop it up.

All in all a pleasant place to have a morning/noon meal. BTW, bus #72 plus any that go down Hoping past Jianguo stop nearby - just get off at the Andong Market and walk in (just past the Chinese Culture University branch).

ate there again saturday. meals were nice but subbing canned apple juice for fresh OJ was disappointing.

thanks, Candlelight, for recommending this place. ratlung and I went there on Saturday and found the food to be tasty and the service extremely friendly. The gardenburger was sooo good, I haven’t had one in a year!

Thank you for the recommendation! I finally found the place! I walked about one and a half hours in a huge freaking circle before finding it. I’m a f’-n twit :fume:. But it sure worked up my appetite :hungry:

Comfortable place (decor, furniture, space etc), food delicious (Hog Heaven Omelette) and definitely comfort food style. Will go back to try out the other menu items (saw a lot of folks eating the burger and looked great). One slight minor complaint was the OJ that came with the set meal. Tall class, half full. I thought they’d stiff me, but then noticed that how they serve it. Maybe they should just get smaller juice glasses like at Carnegie’s rather than serve half empty tall glass. Anyhow, nice addition to the Taipei restaurant scene as it gives us another choice … although there’s a number of quality ones already. Price point + food quality, I think this place is a homerun. For casual weekend brunches, my fav list would be Carnegies, JB’s, Diner, Grandma Nittis.

Oh, btw for those folks who don’t know that area well (like me), the restaurant is closer to the Heping & Rui-An side… There’s a Niko Mart at that T-intersection. A bus stop also at that intersection (usual Heping bus lines).

It is a good place. I was there for brunch about a month ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to going back there sometime.

Went back for late breakfast/brunch. Again nice meal and noticed the smaller juice glasses :wink: The OJ I had was fresh squeezed. In addition, they’ve got A&W rootbeer and Victoria Bitter (VB) on the menu! :slight_smile:

Wonderful! :bravo:

Went there for the first time yesterday and I’ll definitely be back soon.
Spotlessly clean, nice and airy despite the small space. Jojo didn’t want a full meal but the staff were happy to put together a bunch of side orders; a scambled egg, some fried potatoes and a plate of steamed veggies which were fantastic – broccoli, mushrooms and courgettes(!) mixed through with chopped bell peppers and a little onion and lightly seasoned with herbs. The eggs were bright orange, presumably because they’re organic and actually tasted of eggs. What a welcome change!
I had eggs benedict and once again, the staff were happy to substitute smoked salmon for the ham. It came with home-made hash browns that were so good we ordered a second side dish of them.
With a glass of home-made lemonade, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice and a VB beer the total was NT$700, which represents excellent value in anybody’s book.
Highly recommended.
If you’re walking in from Heping E. Road, look for the bright yellow Gusto Hotdog sign on the left hand side of the street. The diner is almost directly opposite.
By the way Joesax, they have a flyer that describes the eggs as certified organic, and it even lists what the hens are fed on. Whether its true or not I don’t know, but they really are very different to the normal eggs you get here. Dark orange yolks with a lovely rich taste and texture.

told ya sandy… nice place huh?

And also for any car drivers out there, there’s ample parking very nearby, including one of those multistory elevator parking lots just one alley to the east that charges NT$30/hour. Not bad.

I still have got no idea where it is after reading all your directions. Might have to attempt a map and see how far off I am…

directions

at corner of jienguo and heping - da-an park coner… stay on that side and walk along heping. rui-an is on the left… maybe the 1st or second street. simply walk up and its opposite the hotdog place like sandy says. on the corner of heping and rui-an is a car park as well, with a very odd man looking after the place…

It should be added that Ruian is a oneway street coming out onto Herping, so you can’t drive up it.

Just some minor edits:

There.

the directions are spot on, the food is eggcellent, the burger can give bongos a run for its money and they have more options. Chicken quesadila was pretty good, salad was way bigger than I expected and friendly waitresses. Please please dont’ tell anyone who works for taipei times about this place.

I had the jumbo burger. Perfect. Made me forget the old TSB burgers. Double patty, double cheese and double bacon. How awesome is that? The burger juices mixed with the melted cheese and bacon grease, oozing out after each bite, puddling on the plate. Fantastic crispy McD-like fries.

Oh, and the extra thick milkshakes… :lick: :lick: :discodance: :discodance:

Wow… thank you, thank you, thank you :notworthy: :bravo: