The Diner

My sister got bitten and permanently disfigured as a result of a dog being near her. This was a dog that was apparently “under control”.[/quote]

That is not a dog-in-restaurant issue, now is it? That’s a dangerous dog issue.

My friend was attacked an permanently disfigured by a guy from London. He still sits next to Londoners in restaurants. :wink:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]
That is not a dog-in-restaurant issue, now is it? That’s a dangerous dog issue.[/quote]

Well… I’m personally not too good at spotting which dogs are dangerous until its too late. Maybe the otherwise safe dog that attacked my sister was just acting as a “defender” - a function promoted by your sig - when it misread a situation.

As I said, my primary annoyance in the Diner was that the dog which had come in from a wet street did what was natural and shook itself with muck flying off.

You are entitled to disagree with the risk assessment involved, of course. But I’m content that Taiwanese law takes a view that a dog-in-restaurant is a safety issue and that settles it for me.

By my sig?

It’s news to me, of course, that the law doesn’t allow dogs in restaurants. Quite a shock, actually, as I wonder why the ones I go to haven’t had any problems. Maybe it’s because of the separate areas? Dunno.

What do you mean about my sig?

What do you mean about my sig?[/quote]

Its in the Avatar that appears within the text the bottom of your messages.

One of the alternate displays says “He’s your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog”

[quote]Stray Dog wrote:
Does the Diner do any vegetarian food?

Their Gardenburger is top-notch. I can’t remember if there are other veggie options on the menu, but I would assume so.
[/quote]

Lasagna is also vegetarian. You can always ask them to make special orders, i.e. quesadilla with meat substituted with beans or other veggies.

We’re gonna finally check out the Diner for a very late lunch, probably around 4pm-ish. Anyone care to join us? :slight_smile:

Great idea since I missed Tom’s thang.
I’ll see you there!

Nice to see you there Josefus, and your lovely date – I’ll never accuse you of lacking babe-magnet superpowers again!

BTW, my burger was VERY good.

But Dragonbabe’s country-fried steak was almost inedible – more gristle than meat. Very disappointing, and a waste of good money.
Avoid the steak, folks! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Gristle…:sick:

Gristle just never seems to go over too well…

I hope it doesn’t turn you off the Diner. They are doing good work there.

I hope you pointed it out to them – its not like you’re complaining about their cooking, just the meat quality. They take their shit seriously.

I haven’t been to the Diner in a while and was craving their Jumbo Burger today, is it still crazy packed during lunch hours weekdays and weekends? I don’t know how long it’s been open, but I’m wondering if the novelty will wear off eventually and it will be a bit easier to get in for a bite.

Weekdays early (11 to 11:30 are good) or late® (2 p.m.) seem to be pretty good for getting a table.

It does get packed for the lunch rush (12 noon and on).

I’ve never actually eaten at the Diner on a weekend, mostly because I’ve heard there are lines and waits for tables for brunch (and the one Sunday I drove by and saw a line snaking down the block, I just kept on driving). I think Mother Theresa mentioned going at about 10:30 a.m. on a Sunday without a reservation and still getting a table.

Last time I was there (last Friday), the Diner was packed with a solid lunch crowd of office workers and students. We had arrived at 11:30, so we had no trouble getting a table, but at 12:30 or so when we left, people were lined up outside.

Had a nice dinner there last week. Did have to wait for 15-20 minutes (no queue, just crowded but they took down my phone number) but it was worth it. The burger with fries was very good and the apple pie ala mode was even better, both servings were just right and pricing is very reasonable.

:beer:

Showed up a little before noon today. At least a dozen people waiting in line outside. We left. Not worth the hassle. Had a good brunch at Dan Ryans instead.

I go to the Diner all the time with my wife, she loves it too.

You just picked the wrong time to go. 1st mistake…going around lunch time on a weekend. Go for breakfast at 10:00am or 10:30am…if you wait until 11:00 you are out of luck.

For us, best times have been

10:00-10:30
and anytime between 2:00 - and Closing.

I am dying to try their turkey on rye with cranberries! They wont have it until March though…bummer. Their meatloaf is pretty good, hamburgers are great - they will even crisp the bacon for you if you ask. Their breakfasts are delicious too…not too greasy and comes with a lot.

All in all, the diner is a graet place to go for western food at an afordable price and good atmosphere and service. If you have a sweet tooth try the cinnamon rolls and if you like apple pie, theirs is great!

My wife pointed out a hiring sign this last Saturday there. They only hire staff that speak good English but pay 90 Nt an hour. It hit home how well paid we Foreigners are in Taiwan. Can you imagine working for 90 NT an hour???

[quote=“Quarters”]
My wife pointed out a hiring sign this last Saturday there. They only hire staff that speak good English but pay 90 Nt an hour. It hit home how well paid we Foreigners are in Taiwan. Can you imagine working for 90 NT an hour???[/quote]

I did when I was a teenager who carried plates for a living.

I like the diner quite a lot. Unfortunately, being a creature of habit, I can’t seem to order anything but the swiss and mushroom burger with bacon. Sometimes with apple pie and ice cream for desert. It’s so good I’m aftraid to try other things. Sheesh!

My vote for the best burger in town, by far. Service consistently good and if you hit it anytime before 12:10 there will be a table. Oh, Yes.

Good value and it includes your drink. 200 bucks.

Same here. For me, it’s the Jumbo Burger. I’m not there that often, but that’s all I can manage to order. I always want it. If I can’t finish it and have to take half home, that’s okay too!! :slight_smile:

:yay: open again tomorrow after this long holiday!! It’s been too long ~

rhg