The effectiveness or otherwise of wearing masks

Omni, I’m curious: are you haranguing people because them’s the rules, or because you think public mask-wearing is (all things considered) going to save Taiwan?

I’m also curious as to your take on the legality of mask mandates. Taiwan has so far shied away from vaccine mandates because of the dubious legal position (mainly, I would say, in terms of international agreements rather than domestic law). Is it legal for the government to mandate quasi-medical interventions which have had no demonstrable effect elsewhere? Is it legal to use the police to enforce the mandate and deny recourse to the courts?

Honestly, I find this entire conversation highly amusing given that virtually nobody is at risk except the elderly, yet it’s the elderly who aren’t wearing masks and (for that reason) are being told to f’off and die. Why don’t we just all take our masks off (assuming they work) and let nature take its course?

The effectiveness of masks in curbing COVID has been proven over and over.

5 Likes

The fact that masks reduce the probability of transmission (in the narrow sense) is not the same is saying that public mask-wearing will slow down the spread of COVID or save lives. Omni, I think, is smart enough to know this, and to understand what I meant by “all things considered”.

What I find amusing is that they are beating on the old wear masks outside drum when this virus has been around for a long time now and it is known that it doesn’t spread well outdoors at all due to wind that blows the aerosol around so it’s not concentrated as well as the fact that viral load is small when you are just passing someone. Some people going for a walk isn’t likely to spread anything. Its all security theatre.

Inside use absolutely. In a crowded fruit market, good idea. Joggers and mountain climbers that are mostly to themselves… useless. But yes let’s focus on harassing the outdoor enthusiasts while we let people eat in a restaurant.

10 Likes

This. Context matters.

5 Likes

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) responded to criticism by Austrians that Taiwan-made masks are not up to standard, compared to the FFP2 masks Austrians are required to wear.

The Taiwan women’s basketball team went to Austria to participate in the 3-on-3 Olympic qualifying tournament, but the masks worn by the team did not comply with Austrian regulations, Liberty Times reported. Taiwan’s basketball authority said that the competition’s organizers did not inform them that Austria’s standards for mask specifications are different from those of other countries. However, after seeking assistance, the team has obtained enough 3D masks for their stay in the European nation.

Previously, other countries did not have enough masks for their population and often fell back on using cloth masks. Now, some countries require FFP2 masks while Taiwan is still widely using regular medical masks.

Maybe Taiwan should start using masks with better filtration ability - especially for medical personnel and people at exposed positions.

Is this mask effective for covid-19?
My boss bought one and looks very uncomfortable and expensive (NT$4490)

It’s probably less effective than a medical mask but maybe more effective than a stupid bandana, but I have no idea of knowing.

Does your boss disinfect it between use?

Some parents sent their kids masks off for lab analysis.

The analysis detected the following 11 alarmingly dangerous pathogens on the masks:

• Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumonia)

• Mycobacterium tuberculosis (tuberculosis)

• Neisseria meningitidis (meningitis, sepsis)

• Acanthamoeba polyphaga (keratitis and granulomatous amebic encephalitis)

• Acinetobacter baumanni (pneumonia, blood stream infections, meningitis, UTIs— resistant to antibiotics)

• Escherichia coli (food poisoning)

• Borrelia burgdorferi (causes Lyme disease)

• Corynebacterium diphtheriae (diphtheria)

• Legionella pneumophila (Legionnaires’ disease)

• Staphylococcus pyogenes serotype M3 (severe infections—high morbidity rates)

• Staphylococcus aureus (meningitis, sepsis)

Half of the masks were contaminated with one or more strains of pneumonia-causing bacteria. One-third were contaminated with one or more strains of meningitis-causing bacteria. One-third were contaminated with dangerous, antibiotic-resistant bacterial pathogens. In addition, less dangerous pathogens were identified, including pathogens that can cause fever, ulcers, acne, yeast infections, strep throat, periodontal disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and more.

The face masks studied were new or freshly-laundered before wearing and had been worn for 5 to 8 hours, most during in-person schooling by children aged 6 through 11. One was worn by an adult. A t-shirt worn by one of the children at school and unworn masks were tested as controls. No pathogens were found on the controls. Proteins found on the t-shirt, for example, are not pathogenic to humans and are commonly found in hair, skin, and soil.

Just looked up the first one and found;

Everyone carries bacteria in their nose and throat without it making them sick. Streptococcus pneumoniae is found in the nose and throat of 10 - 40 % of healthy people without causing any symptoms of illness in these people.

Didn’t bother venturing any further.

1 Like

I just realized I’m behind 1010 comments behind.

1 Like

Do keep up.

1 Like

Plus if you’re breathing out nasty pathogens and coating your mask with them, it means they’re already in your body. At least the mask is lowering the chance that you infect others with your germs. Kinda the idea of masks, eh?

3 Likes

Good. They are blocking the spread.

What a MORONIC article. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

What I find interesting is that the anti-maskers seem to be divided into two groups: One groups believes that the masks make children sick because they contain lots of harmful bacteria. The other group believes that wearing masks is harmful because they keep to many germs away from the children causing allergies and a weak immune system :man_shrugging:

1 Like

And ‘elite’ officials will fly in for the Euro Championship final with no quarantine.
They piss on our shoes and tell us it’s piss not rain anymore.

I’m not antimask but I can see a difference. The naturally occurring bacteria in the environment would surely be different than the bacteria that builds up on a mask. There was a scientist that traveled across the oceans and took samples of seawater. He found the bacteria makeup between locations mere meters away could be quite different.

1 Like

There’s a third group of anti-maskers who prefer the simple explanation: it’s just stupid and pointless.

Double down…Just say everybody that follows public health recommendations are wrong :sunglasses:…ergo not wearing a mask is the smart thing to do…Who cares if they are spewing virus aerosols everywhere right…

2 Likes

And…What ? :grin: