The effectiveness or otherwise of wearing masks

Where are you talking about? The US? Where we had a large contingent of the population refusing to wear masks? And at the beginning of the pandemic when it was impossible to find masks?

Without masks, the numbers would be even greater. Masks have been proven to slow the spread, but they need to be conjoined with responsible behavior to work most effectively. Even so, they don’t eliminate risk. They reduce risk.

It’s simple math, like is taught in a sophomore-year course in Probability and Statistics.

1 Like

Yeah, I did that. And I more-or-less agree with you. My only assertion is that the effect is not strong enough under normal circumstances to beat the virus. If it were, then the virus would already be beaten, at least in certain countries. Since that didn’t happen, then your argument is invalid.

Arguing that it failed to work because of trivial details is grasping at straws, IMO. Arguing that something ought to work in theory and all we need is just one little push invariably happens when the underlying theory is disastrously wrong.

Again, masks are not a cure-all. They are part of a multi-pronged strategy to combat the pandemic.

1 Like

Don’t have a problem with that. I wear my mask. I just get frustrated by the idea that the only thing that stands between us and Victory Over Nature is a bit of blue fabric.

That thing that stands between us and the virus is one of the 4 fundamental forces of the universe called electromagnetism.

The 3-layer surgical mask traps viral particles in between the layers using static electricity.

People in Taiwan definitely should get vaccines, but right now it’s difficult to get vaccines and Taiwan’s own vaccines won’t be out until July. Though, this newest wave of outbreak can probably speed testing up a little.

70% of the time :slight_smile:

That’s the minimal definition of herd immunity.

And it doesn’t work as expected.

Ergo, some unidentified problem with the theory.

And in any case that isn’t the “minimal definition”. As per various other discussions, 70% is based on R0=3.4. Since R0 is considerably smaller than that for most variants, and there are many other factors involved that can reduce transmission - eg., acquired immunity, social distancing, etc - 70% effectiveness for masks would be an upper bound.

2 New York Yankees coaches just tested positive for COVID despite being fully vaccinated. Does this mean vaccinated people should keep wearing masks? This is going to upset a lot of people in the USA :joy:

Like @Chris mentioned, all measures are just a part of a multi-pronged strategy to combat the pandemic, and they can all change the R₀. Ideally, everyone will follow every measure to slow down the spread as much as possible, and not pick and choose. In the UK, the UK variant’s R₀ is estimated to around 3.9.

3 Likes

Wow. Read this!
Why WHO was so wrong on not recommending to wear masks. WHO quietly back-pedaled after scientists proved them wrong.

4 Likes

That isn’t how most vaccines work.
They simply make it easier for your body to defeat the virus if you get it and minimize the symptoms.

Unfortunately, all covid vaccines so far are proving not to be sterilising vaccines. Instead, they are mitigating vaccines.

5 Likes

That’s OK.

In my view Tedros and WHO has done more harm than good in the fight against Covid-19.

"There is no reason for measures that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade. We call on all countries to implement decisions that are evidence-based and consistent. WHO stands ready to provide advice to any country that is considering which measures to take,” Tedros said.

“Hong Kong’s airport has seen hundreds of flights cancelled since the World Health Organisation warned people not to travel to the former British colony if they could avoid it.”

2 Likes

Omni, I’m curious: are you haranguing people because them’s the rules, or because you think public mask-wearing is (all things considered) going to save Taiwan?

I’m also curious as to your take on the legality of mask mandates. Taiwan has so far shied away from vaccine mandates because of the dubious legal position (mainly, I would say, in terms of international agreements rather than domestic law). Is it legal for the government to mandate quasi-medical interventions which have had no demonstrable effect elsewhere? Is it legal to use the police to enforce the mandate and deny recourse to the courts?

Honestly, I find this entire conversation highly amusing given that virtually nobody is at risk except the elderly, yet it’s the elderly who aren’t wearing masks and (for that reason) are being told to f’off and die. Why don’t we just all take our masks off (assuming they work) and let nature take its course?

The effectiveness of masks in curbing COVID has been proven over and over.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/05/19/science.abg6296.full

5 Likes

The fact that masks reduce the probability of transmission (in the narrow sense) is not the same is saying that public mask-wearing will slow down the spread of COVID or save lives. Omni, I think, is smart enough to know this, and to understand what I meant by “all things considered”.

What I find amusing is that they are beating on the old wear masks outside drum when this virus has been around for a long time now and it is known that it doesn’t spread well outdoors at all due to wind that blows the aerosol around so it’s not concentrated as well as the fact that viral load is small when you are just passing someone. Some people going for a walk isn’t likely to spread anything. Its all security theatre.

Inside use absolutely. In a crowded fruit market, good idea. Joggers and mountain climbers that are mostly to themselves… useless. But yes let’s focus on harassing the outdoor enthusiasts while we let people eat in a restaurant.

10 Likes

This. Context matters.

5 Likes