The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Hello!

Have some questions about working remotely in Taiwan for a short period of time - any help appreciated.

I am a US citizen and live in the US. I work remotely (from home) for the US-based unit of a multinational publishing company. I am paid in USD on a W-2. My company has a new policy where we can “work from anywhere” in the world for up to 4 weeks per calendar year, as long as we have the “right to work” there. If possible, I’d like to take advantage of this and work remotely from Taiwan for maybe 2-4 weeks per year.

My questions would be:
a. Would the Gold Card be the best means for me to acquire official “right to work” in my situation? I can qualify with salary criteria.
b. Since I would only be working in this fashion in Taiwan for 2-4 weeks (much less than 90 days in any case), am I correct that I would not need to pay or even file taxes in Taiwan?

I did a search and looked at a couple threads similar to my situation: [1] [2] and looked over the tax info on the official [Gold Card] website. Just wanted to check and make sure I had not misread or misunderstood anything.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like