The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

What the politicians may not realize, cuz their ostrich heads are stuck too far in their holes (you can choose which hole), is that whichever party finally passes the law to allow foreign spouses to obtain ROC citizenship WITHOUT having to give up their birth country’s passport/citizenship, then that party would get a huge chunk of a voter bloc for the next generation or two or three. I’d be a part of that base. But… stay in your holes, you pols…

2 Likes

I’m confused about one thing though…

“Foreign special professionals are able to apply for “Employment Gold Card”, which is more convenient for foreigners to transfer work or seek jobs; the term of such work permits have been expanded from 3 years to 5 years.”

The maximum duration of the gold card that one can apply for is 3 years - so the gold card is valid for 3 years but they get a 5 year work permit?

Probably just a 3 year work permit.

Article 7 of the Act allows “up to 5 year” work permits. Article 8 says the Gold Card (“a four-in-one … Card that combines work permit…”) is valid for a duration for one to three years.

In theory, you (eg a company) can apply for a work permit for a Foreign Special Professional outside the Gold Card system. That’d be where you’d get a 5 year work permit.

https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/sub.aspx?a=dF2WC9Capi0%3D

2 Likes

That makes sense - thanks for the clarification!

FYI - for those currently on an ARC who have applied for the gold card, please make sure that the ARC number on your new gold card is the same as your previous ARC number.

Mine wasn’t at first and it took many, many calls to sort out. Based on what the NIA told me, I actually had two valid ARC’s at the same time… not so much of an issue now, but if I hadn’t called to confirm and let my old ARC expire and continued on the gold card, my residency would not be considered continuous since I would be on a different ARC number and I likely wouldn’t qualify for an APRC when I hit the 5 year mark.

3 Likes

That is scary! Thanks for the heads up.

Yes it was, but I’m glad I managed to fix this before I get a nasty surprise in a couple of years time when I try to apply for an APRC. I suppose you could probably bring your passport and prove that these two ARCs belong to the same person and the durations overlap therefore it is technically continuous but that would be fairly iffy…

Just to put on record, the NIA staff were extremely helpful throughout the entire process - perhaps because no one had encountered this issue before they weren’t quite sure of how to deal with and resolve it.

In any case it is still a hassle to have to keep calling to explain so for those applying please check the first time.

I think I read on some government site that if you apply and get a gold card while you have an ARC, your ARC shall be canceled, and vice versa.

Yes you are correct - based on what I understand from the NIA, if you have an existing ARC and you apply for the gold card, they will cancel your ARC but the ARC number should be carried forward to the gold card.

If for some reason they overlooked that and your gold card has a brand new number that is different from your previous ARC, something is wrong and that’s not supposed to happen.

The very nice NIA lady did say when I asked that the gold card is still an ARC, just a “higher level” ARC haha :joy:

1 Like

Hi all,

If you’re getting your passport vetted at Taipei’s BOCA/MOFA office, here’s a quick howto. (Don’t worry, the ‘pinball’ method - shuffling between volunteers - works well too).

1. BOCA is open between 08:30 to 17:00 here: https://goo.gl/maps/mFt8PBMCGnD2 (a few blocks from Shandao Temple Station, Exit 2)
  2. Enter the big pink building and go directly up the escalators to level 3
  3. On 3F, ignore the ticket machine immediately in front of you and turn right and right again to be at the “Authentication” area
  4. In the middle of the area, around counter 30, grab a ticket (if there is a problem, ask for help at the end counter - counter 28)
  5. Go to the designated counter when your number is up, surrender your passport and online application document, provide any details on upcoming travel, and receive your receipt.

Repeat the process 7 days later to swap the receipt for your passport and move to the next step of the application.

4 Likes

Folks, I’m happy to report receipt of a gold card :slight_smile: Many thanks to all on the thread who provided the wonderful information - couldn’t have done it without you.

12 Likes

Congratulations!!! Your posts and updates on this matter have been much appreciated!

Guy

1 Like

Congrats! You are one of only 54 special foreigners!

https://tw.news.yahoo.com/外國專才延攬法上路半年-僅54人領卡-044710212.html

1 Like

OK, given that I am unable to apply from abroad, can anyone estimate how long I would need to get an application through if I were physically present in Taiwan? Is it possible to do this in Taiwan even though one is not a resident and would have no fixed address (well, I could borrow a friend’s I guess)?

Applying from overseas or from within Taiwan is the same process. It differs only in which unit verifies your passport (TECO or BOCA), and overseas applicants have the option of picking up their ARC from TECO.

An address is not required to apply.

A perfect application takes 30 days, if your supporting documents are accepted the first time around. If you are asked for tweaks to your supporting documents, expect 50-60 days.

Well then I’m screwed. I can’t do the online application because their Web site doesn’t consider people who’ve worked prior to 2008, and I can’t stick around in Taiwan for (potentially) two months. Even 30 days would be difficult and there would be no guarantee it would actually be 30 days.

Cannot you apply as you’ve never worked? Would it cause a problem?

May I ask what NIA said when you reported the issue? In my experience, they’re pretty happy to help with workarounds for technical issues until they are solved :slight_smile:

As far as I’m aware, the online application is the only way to get this card.

I’m confused about the 30 day comment - could you clarify why you would need to be in Taiwan for the entire process? The process has no bearing on your visa status until right at the end when NIA issues your card. So, if you really had to be in Taiwan for less than 30 days, you could probably pick to enter when the system notifies you to present the passport to BOCA/MOFA. From there it’s maximum 3 weeks (standard ARC issue times 2 weeks, passport verification standard time 1 week) and can be significantly faster if you have a need to travel (or, perhaps an expiring visa/entry without visa).

That might work. The only snag is still that I can’t put in an online application because of the date thing. I’ve emailed the contact person listed on the web site and am waiting for a response. TECO in NY knew nothing (very apologetic, though.)

OK, emailed with the Ministry of the Interior, and they passed it to someone else (both replies with excellent English, BTW) and they told me to “double click” on the date to get dates earlier than 2008. That’s not precisely how it works, but if anyone needs to do it:

Set the dropdown date box to January, 2008. Then click the backwards arrow on the left which will take you back to December 2007. Make the year box drop down and pick January of the earliest year (repeat the process going back to the earliest available year and doing the same thing again – I had to go back to 1984 so it took a few clicks but it worked).

So I have now successfully submitted my application and payment from abroad. :-):sweat_smile:

8 Likes