The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

9x the min income and they still deny you.
taiwan is fucking hilarious.
they really just hate farang it seems like. like your birth rates and population is about to collapse and there are people who would love to live in your country and contribute to your economy and your still fucking holding out?

Income alone isnā€™t the only requirement and it hasnā€™t been for almost a couple of years now. Itā€™s then irrelevant whether itā€™s 1.1x or 9x the income requirement.

If itā€™s just about ā€œbuyingā€ a visa, there are other ways to do that besides the gold card.

2 Likes

Oh thatā€™s shit. What do you do back home? I am trying to understand because I also make 9x the minimum income.

1 Like

Apparently one can create a company in the US and then hire oneself as a branch manager in Taiwan. The upfront cost is 20K USD of working capital plus 5-6K USD administrative fees on the Taiwan side. So Iā€™m going to try that route.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently an airline pilot but was US military/State Department in a previous life so the ministries of Economy, Defense, and Transportation all got involved and decided, ā€œthanks but no thanks!ā€ LOL Was a wild ride and the best 300-ish USD Iā€™ve spent in a while. Again, I canā€™t say enough good things about the Gold Card Office truly a class act all around.

1 Like

is this the rep office route or something else? If not you might look into a rep office cause I donā€™t think thereā€™s any paid up capital requirement.

1 Like

There are 2 routes I have read - rep office and the 500k paid up capital one. How does it work for both? Can you enter freely once you have a work permit? With current covid regulations, do I still have to go to my local taiwanese embassy to get an ARC or something so I can enter the country?

For the 500k paid up capital route, you can get an agent in Taiwan to incorporate a company that lists you as the country manager (this takes 3-6 months, and I believe you need to be in Taiwan in-person to open a bank account and receive the international wire funds - I donā€™t know a Taiwan bank that allows remote account opening), then apply for a work permit for you (1-2 months). Finally once they have the work permit approval and in hand, they will mail you the work permit, and you can apply at the Taiwan trade office in your home country using the original copy of the work permit. I went through this process before but for someone else and after I was already in Taiwan with a gold card.

Expect to pay another ~100-150k during the process since youā€™ll need to pay the agent for incorporation, office address rental (required before you can begin to incorporate), work permit application

Is it true with the 500k paid up capital route, I can extract these funds once my company has been set up, incorporated and once I get the work visa?

My agent quoted me some 45k for this process. I will physically be in be Taiwan for 2 months from Sep to October. Hence I hope I can open the bank account myself.

Jim, is this for parents to be able to get ARC in TW?

Yes but country manager position only works for one parent

Yes but you pay another 30-45k for approval to withdraw the funds (whatever the cost was to open the company)

I recall somebody somewhere saying that if you lived in Taiwan in the past and had health insurance, you will automatically have health insurance when you arrive in Taiwan with the Gold Card and wonā€™t have to wait to get it. Does anybody know if this is correct and has anybody done it?

Yes, but you will need to visit the NHI office to arrange payment details. You are otherwise covered from day 1.

Does this mean I still need to be insured privately for the quarantine period where I canā€™t arrange payment details?

Starting the application - here we go!!!

5 Likes

Yes, it was me. When I went to the NHI branch 6 months and 1 day after arriving in Taiwan, I was told that I should have ā€œreactivatedā€ my card from day 1 and had to apply (and pay) for a card replacement too since I (obviously) didnā€™t have the old one with me anymore. However, take my experience with a pinch of salt since inconsistency is the norm here. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if you ended up being given a different version of the story.

I would suggest you do. I donā€™t think that the card ā€œreactivationā€ can be done if you are not physically at the branch. Plus, if like me you donā€™t have the old card anymore, there will be the card replacement thing to settle as well.

1 Like

Thanks! How long did it take for you to get your replacement NHI card? Iā€™ll get travel insurance to cover the quarantine period and the length of time it takes to get a new card, plus some buffer time.

It was all done at the branch in no more than 10 minutes and the replacement costed like 200 something. No big deal.

2 Likes

Application submitted under Education category - letā€™s see how this goes.

6 Likes