The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

I have over two decades of IT consulting experience; last decade for one of the Big 4. What you paraphrased made perfect sense. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

So using a VPN should work right?

Iā€™m only one data point, but the VPN service I use has servers with endpoints in Taiwan and as soon as I connected, I was able to connect to the site.

1 Like

Application Portal should be back now. Can anyone confirm?

2 Likes

Itā€™s working fine now from the U.S. ā€” No VPN needed.

2 Likes

Q: Do I need to purchase a return flight (from Taiwan) if I get approved for Gold card, rather than a one-way ticket?

Sorry if this has been answered - I looked through this thread and never saw any mention of this. I am guessing I would not need a return flight if I have a gold card, but wondering if it may cause hassles when I enter Taiwan and go through immigration check?

Definitely not, youā€™re a resident if you get approved and donā€™t need exit travel plans. Many including myself moved here on gold cards and one way tickets.

3 Likes

@yam - awesome. Thank you for the info! That will save me some time & money.

1 Like

Was anyone here able to provide supplemental documents after having sent out the application, without them specifically asking for it? I just sent out my application but thereā€™s a chance that I will receive another helpful recommendation letter in the next days or weeks. If they havenā€™t processed my application yet I would like to send it to them directly. Is that possible and will they accept it?

Hello everyone,
I submitted my application today and already received a request for more supplementary documents because I was born in mainland China. They demand that I cancel my household registration in the mainland and have it verified by the Strait Exchange Foundation.

My family moved to the US 20 years ago when I was a middle school kid. My household registration was already canceled then, but my parents did not receive or keep any documentation to prove such. Iā€™ve been a naturalized US citizen since year 2005 and have entered the mainland area no more than 3 times, through Chinese Visas issued by the Chinese Consulate. With COVID, I am not even allowed to enter China because I do not have right of residence there.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me navigate this.
FWIW, I applied through Science & Technology with Income > NT 160k. My areas of expertise include Software Engineering, Biotechnology, Cybersecurity.

1 Like

Good luck buddy, but it seems theyā€™ve decided anyone born in China (even if they have no ties since an early age) is considered a potential spy, and to send them on impossible missions to get documentation from a country they cannot enter. Unfortunately with Taiwanā€™s bureaucracy thereā€™s not much you can do - their officer has to tick off a checkbox and you have to fulfill the requirements of the checkbox. I think the straits requirements came into effect recently.

One thing you can try is to call them and talk to the officer reviewing your application. You may be able to ask whether you have alternatives.

2020/12/08 - Initial Application
2022/08/18 - Passport Submission Successful

20 months and 10 days. Although now my status states, ā€œReview by the National Immigration Agency.ā€ ā€” Do I need to contact anybody or will it sort itself out?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the normal move after the passport submission. So youā€™ll get your authorization email in the next few days. Congrats!! I think you arethe longest application time Iā€™ve seen.

1 Like

Updated my personal info: but I donā€™t see new data on my application.

I applied for Gold Card about 2 weeks ago (Economic - IT/Software). A few days ago a friend told me my Chinese name used incorrect characters. So, I went into my application where it allows you to update basic info. I updated my Chinese name. When I clicked save/submit a pop displayed a message in Chinese (I didnt save the message).

A few days later my application still shows my original incorrect Chinese name.

Just wondering if the new name went through or if it has to be reviewed?
My application is still in ā€œReview by the Workforce Development Agencyā€ status.

Thanks!

I wouldnt worry. My GC originally had blank for Chinese name. Added one later. So yours could also be updated in similar way online, no official traceability for it is there?

1 Like

Good idea to leave anything blank, if you can. Donā€™t commit!
I was just worried since my incorrect Chinese name could mean something weird like ā€œIā€™m an idiotā€ or something :smile:

The following information can be updated through the online application platform:

Chinese/English Name (NTD500 fee)
Gender (NTD500 fee)
Passport Number (Free)
Collection Location (Free)
Resident Address (Free; Must provide documents such as electricity bills or rental agreement)
Email (Free; Please contact NIA for assistance)

The message maybe said to go to the payment section to pay for the name change. If you didnā€™t pay any fee then the application likely didnā€™t get processed by NIA and expired.

Edit: actually I see this is a new application for the gold card and not updating an existing gold card. Iā€™m not sure in this case why the name didnā€™t update

1 Like

Thanks @irish91 .

Yes, this is a NEW application.
I changed my Chinese name by going to the main heading and the ā€œApplication - Information Changeā€ menu option.

BUT, I just went into the ā€œAccount - Basic Info Maintenanceā€ menu option and my Chinese name is updated there!

So, looks like it is updated in the background but the application may be a ā€œsnapshotā€ in time of the data I entered. Which makes sense since if I changed the info on the application you would think it would reset the application back to the beginning since info had changed.

I think I am ok. Someone said something smart in this thread a while back ā€œjust apply and see what they come back withā€ or something similar. Makes senseā€¦

1 Like

Yet another NHI question. So it looks like due to some oddities in red tape, Iā€™m about to be ā€œhiredā€(as a contractor I guess?) by an entity that only wants to do so for loophole purposes. (Yes Iā€™m being intentionally vague) Iā€™d probably work between 0 and 1 hour a month lol, and I may or may not get paid (we didnā€™t discuss this yet and it doesnā€™t really matter to me)

It occurred to me that this might actually benefit me as well since I could potentially skip the 6-month waiting period for NHI. Would it raise any alarm bells if I bring this employment contract to NHI? And secondly, would I still just fall under the self-employed contribution level?

Thanks!

Hopefully it would.

Generally, please donā€™t discuss illegal or questionable (loophole, grey area) things on this forum.