The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Good luck! My parents both got it recently by virtue of PhDs from a top 500 uni (even though they’ve both been retired for nearly a decade). One application took 7 days to approval, the other was 9 (including a holiday). Definitely the fastest and easiest way if MD counts!

1 Like

Top 500 unis according to which list? Is there a list I can check out?

First answer here:

1 Like

Can I ask how do you happen to know that someone can pick it up for you? :smiley:

Would I need to give power of attorney to that person or do you happen to know how it works?

2 Likes

Wow thanks, you’re awesome lol

How did you find early stage startups to invest? Via friends and such?

Friends and networking. Until we moved to Taiwan last month, my wife was “head of deal flow” for a VC firm so she received hundreds of cold pitches a week and it was more an exercise in filtering out the noise than actively seeking out deals

1 Like

Hi all - I just wanted to follow up in case the information is helpful for anyone in the future: I did email the Gold Card Office regarding my specific situation. They indicated that an MD does NOT qualify as a doctorate/PhD under the Education pathway.

I asked about this also, and they were pretty clear that that the criteria had to be met simultaneously, ie, that the income criteria was met from employment as a teacher or researcher.

It is clear from reading through this thread that the scrutiny applied to Gold Card applications is quite strict and it is not an easy or free pass into Taiwan unfortunately :slight_smile:

Thanks for everyone that helped with my original inquiries!

2 Likes

Yeah I was kinda thinking that for this particular point you would need them to not notice. That’s probably how others have made it…

In any case I’m sorry there’s not a simple solution for your situation!

Hi guys,

Been lurking around and finally decided to create an account to share my (rough) timeline.

25/8 - Submitted my application under ‘Finance’.
26/8 - Received an email asking for an additional supporting doc. Submitted it right away.
30/8 - Review by WDA.
12/9 - Review by the Ministry.
14/9 - Review by WDA.
16/9 - Request to report to the representative office for passport inspection.

Appreciate that this question might have been answered already but can I ask again - how long do I have before my application gets cancelled if I delay the passport inspection stage ? Is this specified anywhere ?

Thanks !

2 Likes

6 months

After the NIA has accepted an application and the Ministry of Labor has reviewed it for compliance with foreign special professional eligibility as prescribed in Article 3 Paragraph 1, the NIA shall notify the applicant to bring the Passport Submission Notice and his/her passport (original) to an overseas embassy, representative office, or office (hereinafter referred to as “overseas mission”) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for verification within six months. However, a foreign special professional who applies for an Employment Gold Card having already entered the State may be exempted from passport verification.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawSearchContent.aspx?pcode=D0080204&norge=2

2 Likes

I received my Good Card (PDF version) in July 2020, when I had planned to move to Taiwan in the fall and start a small company. However, dependent visas for my family took for ever to process, and we were not able to move as planned. I am thinking about doing the move in January now but I am not sure if the GC will still work. Has anyone had experience with having a long delay between receiving a GC and moving to Taiwan?

I don’t have experience with that but I’m sure you won’t have any issues. The issue will be what you do in July 2023 to extend your stay.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes. The first time I qualified just on salary. Not sure if I will qualify under the Ecomomics this time, with the way that category is interpreted now. I will still meet the salary criteria in July, but I work in healthcare not econ. Not a doctoral-level scientist but have coauthored a dozen or so scientific/medical journal articles. Trying to figure out if my experience fits in any of the econ subcategories.
Thanks again!

1 Like

Did your dependents get their visas/entry permits as well? Those have a expiration.

If not, then they may qualify for visa-free entry at this point (although will need to get some kind of longer term visa to stay over 3 months)

1 Like

We will have to work on my wife’s visa again. Her special-entry visa didn’t get approved last try because of TECO office closures and other hurdles, and she is not from one of the countries with on-entry visas to Taiwan. But I can go first while we are working through that.

Ah ok. Is your wife from a country normally without visa-less entry, or just one that’s currently not back on? If the latter, then by January the situation likely will have changed.

Either way, good luck! Sorry about the TECO difficulties…we had some issues with TECO as well but it seems mild compared to some others. FWIW, I think NIA here in Taipei is super kind and helpful.

1 Like

Just not back on the list yet.

1 Like

I’m feeling fairly optimistic about your/her chances in January.

1 Like

Good morning/good evening
I would like to summarise my current situation

• 31/07/2022 - Submission Date - Economic Field
  • 01/08/2022 - Review by the National Immigration Agency
  • 05/08/2022 - Review by the Workforce Development Agency
  • 15/08/2022 - Failing 8 years of experience for less than a year (The minister does not accept the internship as work experience) - I decided to switch to Science and Technology Council - 2.2 Field. I prepared other documents (I attached the certificates, the master degree certificate, the Works Experiences, my CV and the signed Certificate of Employment).
  • 23/08/2022 - Switch to the Science and Technology Council - 2.2 Field
  • 01/09/2022 - Consulting with National Science and Technology Council
  • 19/09/2022 - Review by the Workforce Development Agency

Today i’m back to the state “Review by the Workforce Development Agency” … What do you think about it?

Thanks

1 Like