The ethnic Chinese who escaped Indonesia for Taiwan

4 Likes

Good find. I havent heard of this one before. Judging by lack of replies many people havent.

Any more info on this issue from back them? Thinking about it i know a few people who moved here in 1999/2000 from the general jakarta area. But not close enough to ask them details like these without knowing more.

1 Like

The violence is horrific and unjustifiable.

But I think ethnic Chinese in SE Asian need to stop living in gated communities and engage in more philanthropy.

In Tiger Momā€™s book, World on Fire, a lot of Chinese harbor chauvinistic attitudes towards Filipinos (calling them lazy and unintelligent).

2 Likes

Not sure how I missed this threadā€¦just like Explant, I havenā€™t heard of this before until I came to Taiwan in 2001 and was enrolled in a University for Overseas Chinese where the majority of students were from Indonesiaā€¦ My dorm mate was an Indonesian Chinese and he told me about the atrocities the Chinese suffered at the hands of the localsā€¦Most were severely beaten, homes and businesses were ransacked, women & young girls were raped and sodomized and burnt alive. I was totally shocked when I heard this and couldnā€™t believe my ears until I read more about it online.
My wife is an Indonesian Chinese and she fled for Taiwan in 1998ā€¦her family was very lucky as they lived in a predominantly Chinese city and the ā€œrevolutionā€ was nearing its end when the Indonesian govt. decided to step in and help their own citizens from being brutally massacred. My wife said even China sent ships to Indonesia to repatriate the ethnic Chinese to China as they cannot sit back and watchā€¦ This event together with immense pressure from all over the world was what drove the Indo. govt to bring in the militaryā€¦ But it was too little too late as hundreds died and many fled. The Indonesian govt. has since vowed to never let this tragedy happen again. Ask any Indonesian Chinese here in Taiwan about May 1998 and they will all tell the same story.

3 Likes

Jesusā€¦i just talked with a local indonesian who has a restaraunt in our village. She isnt chinese but said something similar.

Sometimes, it really feels warm and tingly to be in Taiwan. Its almost surreal how peaceful it is in taiwan now. A good thing for the world to notice.

Thatā€™s what I always say. We are lucky and itā€™s not guaranteed or the norm for most people.

1 Like

I was aware of the event when it happened. I didnā€™t know so many sought refuge in Taiwan. I find it interesting that Taiwan seem to have taken in many asylum seekers despite not having a law to oversee or even allow the process.

in old japanese books, they refer to filipinos as ā€œhappyā€ and to chinese as ā€œhatefulā€

Some sources claim locals in Taiwan are often characterized as petty, insecure, passive aggressive, insular and cliquish. Most foreigners are in separate groups and are not accepted to mingle with locals. Hardly a paradise, comparing to Indonesia where you can mingle and make friends with locals without vouching by someone from their clique.

Welcome to compare to most other countries. Taiwan certainly has those problems, and many others. But of all taiwans problems, knly the Chinese.oppression one seems exagerated here to a serious degree. The other problems, although common, tend to be far.more.muted in comparion to other countries. Including indonesia which is also a fairly racist and religiously divided.place. At the same time people are pretty friendly, like taiwan. Personally I would.opt for Taiwan over Indonesia. But both have similar problems cept taiwan has china and indonesia has religious intolerance. Probably china is worse, I admit.

Meant to.reply.to above post.