The EU death watch thread

they kinda already are. have u seen how many russians have moved there in the last decade?

A few words for those who care for accuracy.

Greece is not in default.
The ECB is pumping liquidity into Greek banks and will not let them fail.
This is not a bank crisis.
There is no legal mechanism to force Greece out of the union.
Varoufakis Rocks!

Russia has serious economic problems of its own, and little to gain from subsidizing Greece. They have their hands full with Ukraine, which they see as their “near abroad.” Greece lies outside their self-declared sphere of influence, Orthodoxy or no. As for the pipeline, well, let me know when they start building it.

What Thatcher said:

businessinsider.com/margaret … 013-4?IR=T

I’ll be in Greece in 2 weeks’ time for vacation… hope the crisis won’t negatively affect my stay…

As long as you ensure you have access to cash, I’m sure you’ll have a nice trip. The Greek people seem pretty laid back, so there’s not likely to be too much in the way of rioting or society eating itself like it would in the US if the same thing happened. Maybe you could even start scouting out some potential real estate purchases for when the economy really implodes (shouldn’t be long now)

Krugman has a way of putting it into perspective:

krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/?_r=0

So Texas had a huge crash due to a speculative explosion of unbridled greed caused by lack of gov’t regulation. Then, having accepted all those handouts from the rest of the country, Texas recovered nicely, and has done fairly well, at least till the price of oil dropped. And of course all the while lecturing everybody else on “goddam lib’ral Gummint welfare” and “people should stand on their own two feet just like Texas did”.

there’s a good video of him and stiglitz. very knowledgeable and reasonable.

he resigned in the last referendum saying the EU finance ministers basically forced him out. Tsipiras has appointed another economist.

Yeah, and we could talk about Germany as well. They seem to have done quite well after their massive debt restructuring post war, and now seem to be sitting pretty tall on their high horse talking down to Greece. I guess it just shows the whole world is a hypocritical mess.

As far as I can tell, you’re always on vacation somewhere … working inbetween :smiley: nothing can possibly mess up your holiday. But don’t buy too much Euros, or maybe you should just use your CC. ATM’s are out of money!

Yeah, and we could talk about Germany as well. They seem to have done quite well after their massive debt restructuring post war, and now seem to be sitting pretty tall on their high horse talking down to Greece. I guess it just shows the whole world is a hypocritical mess.[/quote]

And who’s doing well in Germany? Right, the (super) rich and upper-middle class … the German ‘restructuring of the last ten years’ was not too good for the lower-middle class and below.

there’s a good video of him and stiglitz. very knowledgeable and reasonable.

he resigned in the last referendum saying the EU finance ministers basically forced him out. Tsipiras has appointed another economist.[/quote]

Can’t have a guy who wears no tie meeting the heads of the EU now can we?

Vox’s Matt Yglesias wrote about this: Greece vacation: The Greek debt crisis is a good opportunity for a trip. Basically, he says that you should bring lots of cash. I do think he understates the risk of disruption of your trip - Greece isn’t about to descend into civil war, but if you’re trying to move around a lot, labour disputes and protests can cause a lot of trouble. So I’d definitely avoid a tightly scheduled itinerary that depends on a lot of bus trips.

Put it this way. In the early 30’s the great depression in the United States dropped GDP 29% peak to trough and unemployment was through the roof. Right now in Greece that number is 26% with unemployment at least as high if not higher. You’re basically going on a trip to a country that is experiencing a great depression. Yeah at the very least bring lots of cash, expect lots of store closures, infrastructure problems, and probably protesting, although in Greece they seem to be quite civil about it. Enjoy your trip :slight_smile:

I suppose we should mention this angle: the final political collapse of Mediterrenean Europe will make it easier for ISIS (or its successor) when they advance in force. One could even call it the proximate cause of an invasion. Not the ultimate cause, however.

And no, yet another bailout won’t prevent this. Where the immune system is weak, contagion will spread one way or another. Greece is well on its way to being a failed state. The ostensible territory of a failed state is a battleground. Happily, the geography of the area should slow the advance of the Caliphate.

[quote=“rowland”]I suppose we should mention this angle: the final political collapse of Mediterrenean Europe will make it easier for ISIS (or its successor) when they advance in force. One could even call it the proximate cause of an invasion. Not the ultimate cause, however.

And no, yet another bailout won’t prevent this. Where the immune system is weak, contagion will spread one way or another. Greece is well on its way to being a failed state. The ostensible territory of a failed state is a battleground. Happily, the geography of the area should slow the advance of the Caliphate.[/quote]

Not to mention the lack of a navy to get them across the Medi . . . Meditterr . . . Meditarian . . . oh, forget it.

[quote=“Winston Smith”][quote=“rowland”]I suppose we should mention this angle: the final political collapse of Mediterrenean Europe will make it easier for ISIS (or its successor) when they advance in force. One could even call it the proximate cause of an invasion. Not the ultimate cause, however.

And no, yet another bailout won’t prevent this. Where the immune system is weak, contagion will spread one way or another. Greece is well on its way to being a failed state. The ostensible territory of a failed state is a battleground. Happily, the geography of the area should slow the advance of the Caliphate.[/quote]

Not to mention the lack of a navy to get them across the Medi . . . Meditterr . . . Meditarian . . . oh, forget it.[/quote]

“Navy? Navy? We don’t need no steenkin’ Navy!”

According to rowland ISIS walks on water.

euractiv.com/sections/global … rns-317001

[quote]On Friday, De Maizière said he supported the Schengen Agreement, but that it could be “in danger”. He explained that the freedom of movement in the EU was threatened by countries failing to adhere to the principle that responsibility for processing claims lies with the country that played the biggest part in the applicant’s entry to the EU.

“If nobody sticks to the law, then Schengen is in danger, that’s why we urgently need European solutions,” he said.

In the meantime, Belgium Prime Minister Charles Michel also spoke of a need to review the Schengen agreement, in the light of a foiled attempt by a terror suspect to carry an attack of the passengers of the Thalys high-speed train between Amsterdam and Paris.

A man of Moroccan origin was tackled by three Americans and a Briton on Saturday as he prepared to fire his AK-47 assault rifle on the passengers of the train. He had embarked at the Brussels train station unhindered.

A source close to the investigation of the incident said: “This man lived in Belgium, got on a train in Belgium with weapons that he had undoubtedly acquired in Belgium, and he had identity papers from Spain.”
[/quote]

I guess gun control doesn’t work as well there as in Taiwan, where people use knives instead.

Kudos to those four who stepped in to prevent a tragedy where government had failed.

SAFETY and SECURITY from TERRORISM straight ahead!

Doing government right in the age of endless religious warfare.

businessinsider.com/paris-at … rs-2015-11

[quote]“An unprecedented terrorist attack is underway,” Hollande said in a televised statement. “This is horror.”

Hollande also declared a nationwide state of emergency. It is reportedly the first time since the Algerian War, which lasted from 1954-62, that France has declared a state of emergency.

Closing the borders could be a move designed to prevent the perpetrators of the attacks from fleeing[/quote]

news.yahoo.com/two-men-linked-pa … 55102.html

[quote]Athens (AFP) - Greek police on Saturday said at least one man with a possible connection to the Paris attacks had registered as a refugee with Greek authorities earlier this year.

French authorities had asked their Greek counterparts to check the fingerprints of one man who died in the attacks, with a Syrian passport found next to him, in addition to the fingerprints of another man.

There were efforts to establish whether both had registered in Greece, the main entry point into Europe for Syrian refugee[/quote]

First an insanely promiscuous refugee policy. Now comes the xenophobic backlash. All of this could have been avoided if only leaders had been realistic from the beginning. It’s the Cloward-Piven approach to immigration.

Also, a reminder of just why Fascism and Nazism emerged from the left and not the right. The radical left is a stalking horse for intolerance and hatred. Always has been. And the idealistic do-gooders are the stalking horse for the radical left. Stupidity enables evil.

Meanwhile on another continent - and seemingly on another planet - Ozymandias is bragging that ISIS has been contained. The jayvees aren’t looking very contained at the moment here on planet Earth.

That’s some real smart diplomacy. Of course Bubbette had her hand in it. Let’s see which one can manage to throw the other under the bus.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah. Global crisis. Al Gore’s telethon for Freudian displacement got interrupted.