The "Extra Special Student"

I am passed the age of this problem, but I thought I would share my experiences.
I have 6 kids. I was trying to attend Law School while my spouse was also attending accounting classes for a CPA cerificate.
I have to admit that we didn’t see or interact with the kids as much as either of us would have liked, but on the other hand, we all had some good times together and they still talk about the camping trips, the “Snow Days” and the fireplace where we all snuggled down during the blizzrards.
My oldest, I thought was the brightest of the bulbs. Yet in this very rural town of about 2,000 households, together with a full series of primary and secondary schools, informed me that my son was not keeping up and he shoud go to “Special Ed”. At that time I thought teachers were GODS. Ok; if you think so but I don’t see it that way.
He went.
A few weeks later, I have his old math book and talk to him about the subjects that he was supposed to have learned. He had no idea. The only reason he had no idea was that he had been in S.E. class making ashtrays so he had had no opportunity to keep up with the class objectives. In other words, the organization was keeping him isolated, only to make, what they thought was bad, to a worse setting.
I was sooooo pissed. I went to the super and flat told her that she will re-incorporate my son today or I will fucking sue her and the district. (I was in Law School at the time) Well, bottom of the story was that my son got back in the mainstream student life, graduated near the top of his class, got a B.S. in education along with a Masters and is, to this day, one of the most respected teachers and a very prominent NW U.S. High school.
Pont is:
Don’t let the school district justify their federeal grants on the backs of you children. Tell them to “FUCK OFF”. You and your children will be much bettter off, even if their is a problem.

[quote=“Enigma”]I am passed the age of this problem, but I thought I would share my experiences.
I have 6 kids. I was trying to attend Law School while my spouse was also attending accounting classes for a CPA cerificate.
I have to admit that we didn’t see or interact with the kids as much as either of us would have liked, but on the other hand, we all had some good times together and they still talk about the camping trips, the “Snow Days” and the fireplace where we all snuggled down during the blizzrards.
My oldest, I thought was the brightest of the bulbs. Yet in this very rural town of about 2,000 households, together with a full series of primary and secondary schools, informed me that my son was not keeping up and he shoud go to “Special Ed”. At that time I thought teachers were GODS. Ok; if you think so but I don’t see it that way.
He went.
A few weeks later, I have his old math book and talk to him about the subjects that he was supposed to have learned. He had no idea. The only reason he had no idea was that he had been in S.E. class making ashtrays so he had had no opportunity to keep up with the class objectives. In other words, the organization was keeping him isolated, only to make, what they thought was bad, to a worse setting.
I was sooooo pissed. I went to the super and flat told her that she will re-incorporate my son today or I will fucking sue her and the district. (I was in Law School at the time) Well, bottom of the story was that my son got back in the mainstream student life, graduated near the top of his class, got a B.S. in education along with a Masters and is, to this day, one of the most respected teachers and a very prominent NW U.S. High school.
Pont is:
Don’t let the school district justify their federeal grants on the backs of you children. Tell them to “FUCK OFF”. You and your children will be much bettter off, even if their is a problem.[/quote]

good on you. i was in the ashtray classes for a week in the first grade until my dad found out. he asked them to give me the second grade standardized test that they gave back in the day and i aced it. one honest teacher admitted (and this is in the regan years) that there was pressure to get more kids into the ashtray classes.

I was in the ashtray class and failed it. They put me down to the doorstop class.