The Forumosan Recipe Thread

No. But I would eat it. I love dry ramen/noodles. I see it’s a combination of two ramens: 짜파게티와 너구리를 각 1개씩 준비합니다

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of that kind of noodles. It’s mostly just oily spices, no?

I love korean noodles, but not this style.

1 Like

I love them. It’s a bean paste and also some spicy powder. There is some oil, bot sure what kind of oil though.

Made pork belly today korean style.

2 Likes

A piece of sliced raw garlic in each wrap would have made that much better for me. But no rice is how I also do it now.

1 Like

Yeah. I also like the sliced garlic in here. I will have to add it in next time.

1 Like

I made CHAPAGURI today.

1 Like

I made this mushroom risotto today. Really delicious using my beef bone stock with shiitake mushrooms and carrots.

But now I have all these extra mushrooms, don’t know what im going to do with them.

3 Likes

I did the same risotto and used the extra mushrooms in a saute with tons of garlic, olive oil, red pepper, wine. Add shelled shrimp and butter the last minute. Sprinkle with sea salt, top with cilantro. Eat with french bread. I usually make shrimp this way and the mushrooms were a great addition.

4 Likes

Great idea!

Even mushrooms without the shrimp are great this way.

1 Like

First of all, I don’t consider myself a cook at all. I do enjoy cooking occasionally but all I can really do is follow a recipe. Seeing others just throwing ingredients together and coming up with a delicious dish has always made me jealous.

So tonight I decided to try to come up with something on my own. I’m posting it here because–shock!–it actually came out delicious (at least in my opinion).

It started with a can of pumpkin soup. That sounded good, but kind of plain. You’re supposed to add a can of milk; I noticed I had a can of coconut cream and decided this would be the day for experimentation.

This is what I had on hand, and so I figured adding some fall type veggies with the onion might be good. I walked to the market and picked up a head of cauliflower, some sweet potatoes, and some carrots.

I got home and realized that I didn’t think of a meat or main dish to go with the soup. I had some chicken breast tenders on hand and noticed a bottle of Japanese sesame salad dressing in the fridge that was looking kind of lonely.

I had no idea if any of this would work, but I really wanted to try to come up with something on my own. So here it is, attempting my own creation, pumpkin-veggie soup and sesame dressing chicken. I kept track of the measurements so I could make it again just in case it turned out edible:

1 can pumpkin soup
1 can coconut milk
1/2 onion, chopped
1 large carrrot, chopped
1 large sweet potato, chopped
1 small head of cauliflower, chopped

Mix the chopped veggies together in a bowl with a little oil. Spread the veggies in a baking pan and sprinkle a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder on the top. Oven roast the veggies at 200°C (400°F) until lightly browned and the veggies are tender. It took 40 minutes in my typical Taiwanese toaster-type oven.

While the veggies are roasting, put the chicken breasts (I had sliced tenders) in a bowl and mix in the Japanese sesame dressing. Sprinkle some black pepper on top. Put in the fridge and let marinate while the veggies are cooking.

When the veggies are done roasting, remove from the oven…

Put the chicken in the oven to roast at the same temperature (well, that’s what works for me). Cook for about 15-20 minutes.

Put the roasted veggies in a food processor or blender. Add the can of soup and coconut milk and seasonings. Here are the spices I guessed might go well with the pumpkin and other veggies. I started with the following amounts figuring I could always add more later if necessary:

1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Food process/blend the soup, milk, veggies, and spices together until smooth (it won’t be perfectly smooth but a thick, hearty soup). Put in a pot, heat and stir. Keep warm until the chicken is done. Taste to see if you want to add any seasoning. I added another 1/4 tsp. of salt which seemed to be perfect for me.

That’s it! I garnished the soup with some parsley flakes and pumpkin seeds. I can’t believe how good this came out despite basically pulling the idea out of my ass. Maybe there’s hope for me as a cook yet :yum:

6 Likes

This actually looks pretty good.

The key is the broth. I made some homemade ones from beef bones and shiitake mushroom. The flavor was very rich from the broth.

Risotto is just too much work. When I used to cook I just did pasta.

When I was in London my flatmates were always impressed by my (subpar) cooking. My three cup chicken was extremely well-received lol. They couldn’t cook shit.

2 Likes

I’m always surprised that some people can’t cook at all. It seems like a basic life skill. Even if you have a few easy signature go to dishes that you can make when you’re hungry, that’s enough.

Anyone can YouTube videos of recipes these days and follow along.

1 Like

I remember once visiting a potential flatshare where one of the flatmates had just finished “cooking”, i.e., boiling some spaghetti, liberally squirting Heinz ketchup on the top, and stirring it all together. I wasn’t a great chef at the time (slightly better now), but that was instantly enough for me to decide not to live there.

2 Likes

Well the worst offenders all had maids working for them so they couldnt’ cook.

Most of my Taiwanese friends can’t cook either.

I guess in Taiwan you can always eat out. I can’t imagine always eating out in London. It’s too expensive.

I’ve been making kofta kebabs a couple of times recently using ground beef and some coriander I’ve been growing at home. Loosely based on this recipe. They turned out surprisingly well, especially when I took them to a friend’s BBQ.

Ingredients: (for quite a large batch - makes around 15-20 kebabs)

• 1.7 kg ground beef
  • 1.5-2 bulbs garlic, crushed (can use less, but I quite like garlic)
  • 3 (very) small onions, very finely chopped (can use more)
  • ~1 cup fresh (home-grown!) coriander
  • 3 slices wholemeal bread, toasted then soaked in water
  • 1.5 tsp pink Himalayan salt
  • 4 tsp allspice, ground
  • 1.5 tsp black peppercorns, ground
  • 1.5 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp coriander seeds, ground
  • 1.5 tsp cumin seeds, ground
  • 1.5 tsp green cardamom seeds, ground
  • 1 tsp lemongrass powder
  • 1.5 tsp nutmeg, grated
  • 1.5 tsp parsley, dried
  • 1.5 tsp sweet paprika
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder

Instructions:

1. Peel and crush garlic, chop onions very finely (basically to a paste - can cut more coarsely I guess, but I’m not really a fan of the texture of onions). Chop coriander leaves (I would also add fresh parsley here, but didn’t have any and haven’t started growing my own yet).
  2. Grind allspice, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds (removing the fibrous husk), and salt to a powder in mortar and pestle. Grate nutmeg. Set aside with cayenne pepper, lemongrass powder, dried parsley, paprika, and turmeric.
  3. Toast three slices of bread then soak in water for 5-10 min. Squeeze out residual water.
  4. Mix everything together with the meat in a food processor/by hand and put onto skewers.
  5. Grill/BBQ.

They go quite well with pita bread and sour cream or yogurt/mint/lemon sauce (I made my own, but still need to work on the recipe for that).

8 Likes