The Forumosan Recipe Thread

I’ve never made kebabs before. Looks good. May have to give it a try.

1 Like

Definitely recommend! There was a Lebanese guy at the BBQ who seemed impressed, and a French guy who recognized them as kofta kebabs without me saying what they were, so I was pretty satisfied with the outcome. Might be worth hitting up the Indian stores for the decent spices if you’re still in the UK.

I was too lazy to type up the recipe for the ones on the right in the photo, but they’re also pretty good and probably easier to make. Those are chicken left for a few hours in a lemon juice and thyme marinade (lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, shallots/onions, lots of fresh thyme, a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary and oregano, a bit of brown sugar, salt, and black pepper, plus whatever else I felt like throwing in - probably soy sauce, paprika, and chili peppers, all thrown in a blender and blitzed), then grilled or BBQ’d. Also works really well with chicken breasts to grill and eat with rice.

2 Likes

I bet it was! :yum: That’s my favorite Taiwanese dish, hands down.

1 Like

Made some honey butter chicken biscuits

2 Likes

Looks ok, you should try it on a scone :joy:

What did you use for the biscuits? Butter or shortening?

Butter and buttermilk. I can’t figure out how to make them have flaky lairs.

It’s about keeping the butter cold. Real pastry chefs work in chilled rooms. I mostly make pie crust, but I have a much higher success rate with shortening. That’s because it has a higher melting point. I suggest trying a shortening/ butter mix, or if you want to keep using butter, it’s got to be very cold then back in the fridge

2 Likes

Blech. You can’t eat chicken with scones!

(Cross-reference from British cuisine thread.)

1 Like

I used to use shortening years ago but now avoid hydrogenated oils. Biscuits and pastry are so similar.
Cold butter cut into small pieces then lightly squish the bits into the flour so they are uneven and no larger than a pea. I have to remind myself to barely bring the biscuit or pastry dough together after adding the ice cold liquid or it’ll be tough.
Pat out biscuit dough then cut taking care not to overwork. Let pastry rest in the fridge for an hour before rolling out.
I always bake the bits perhaps with some cinnamon sugar so they are not just the duds.
I really like Gemma Stafford’s pie crust recipe.

3 Likes

Made some pizza today.

3 Likes

Heeey! I’d kill for a sage plant to keep and pluck occasionally for my pumpkin gnocchi! Where did you find the plant?

I made this tonight and it was pretty delicious. I’m calling it “Knife Chicken” because I saw it being made in a knife ad on Facebook. I tried to find the ad again and couldn’t—of course, the one time I want to see an ad again. (That’s roasted cauliflower on the plate with the chicken)

Anyway this is from memory from watching the ad:

Ingredients:
Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
Bell pepper, thinly sliced
Onion, thinly sliced
Cheese, the real stuff (I found Welsh aged cheddar at Jason’s)
Cured ham, thinly sliced (like prosciutto or jamón serrano)
Beer (I don’t like beer so I used hard apple cider)

1. Butterfly slice the chicken breasts and open up. Sprinkle on seasoning of your choice (I used steak seasoning). Add some slices of bell pepper, onion, and cheese. I used an aged imported cheddar which was stinky, but when cooked was perfect for the chicken.

2. Close the breasts and wrap in the cured ham. I found jamón serrano at Jason’s so I used that. Fry the breasts for about 7 minutes or until the ham is browned. Turn the breasts over.

3. Add a can of beer. Since I don’t like beer I used hard apple cider and it tasted good. Cover and let cook for another 5-7 minutes.

4. Remove the chicken and let stand 3 minutes. Slice and enjoy!

The ad showed a sauce being made but I can’t remember what was in it, maybe chopped chili peppers and green onions mixed into yogurt?

Anyway, I mixed some dill weed into mayo and that made a nice dipping sauce.

4 Likes

Looks good :relieved:

How about some…

Sweet Dough Sweet Potato Pies
(I halve the sugar and its still good!)

FOR THE DOUGH:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
8 tbsp. vegetable shortening
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract

FOR THE FILLING:
1 large ‘‘yam’’, peeled and sliced
(“yams” are sweet potatos)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp. evaporated milk
2 pinches ground cinnamon
Pinch ground allspice

1. For the dough: Sift together flour, sugar, and baking powder into a bowl.
    Use a pastry cutter or 2 knives to work shortening into flour until it resembles
    coarse meal. Add eggs and vanilla, stirring with a fork to form a stiff dough;
    shape into a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

2. For the filling: Cook ‘‘yams’’, sugar, butter, and 1 3/4 cups water in a medium
    pan over medium heat, stirring often, until liquid is nearly gone, 30-40 minutes.
    Remove from heat; set aside to cool. Mash ‘‘yams’’ with a fork until smooth. Beat
    in egg, evaporated milk, cinnamon, and allspice; set aside.

3. Preheat oven to 350

2 Likes

Reviving this thread.

Just made my first batch of ‘honey comb’ (dalgona) candy. Pretty simple. And yesterday I tried ‘dalgona’ coffee. Easy.

1 Like

What??? Combined threads?

images (12)

Not my doing!

1 Like

I made this using my own home made fish sauce. Awesome! Worth the two years of waiting for the sauce to mature.

I made Cottage Pie tonight for the first time.

Here’s the recipe I used: Cottage pie recipe | BBC Good Food
The recipe calls for beef broth and bay leaves, neither of which I had, so I substituted pork broth and used 1/4 teaspoon sage. Worked well.

My process is below. I have only one stove burner so it was a bit labor intensive. Cooking the potatoes, then the beef filling, then baking it all took a total of two hours! But the delicious end result was worth it :yum:

5 Likes

Huh. Today I learned …

Shepherd’s pie should only be named as such if it contains lamb, and “cottage” usually applies to one made with beef.

I’ve never tried making one of these, but I really should give it a shot - it’s got to need less time than the America’s Test Kitchen skillet calzone I occasionally make (non-paywalled variation here).

Casseroles are basically going to take up a whole evening, and often part of an afternoon as well, but they’re going to provide plenty of meals!

Gotta like the recommended “Goes well with” on the recipe: “Slow-roasted rhubarb with ginger ice cream.” Just in case you weren’t clear we’re talking about British cooking.

1 Like