The Forumosan Recipe Thread

I’ve never made kebabs before. Looks good. May have to give it a try.

1 Like

Definitely recommend! There was a Lebanese guy at the BBQ who seemed impressed, and a French guy who recognized them as kofta kebabs without me saying what they were, so I was pretty satisfied with the outcome. Might be worth hitting up the Indian stores for the decent spices if you’re still in the UK.

I was too lazy to type up the recipe for the ones on the right in the photo, but they’re also pretty good and probably easier to make. Those are chicken left for a few hours in a lemon juice and thyme marinade (lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, shallots/onions, lots of fresh thyme, a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary and oregano, a bit of brown sugar, salt, and black pepper, plus whatever else I felt like throwing in - probably soy sauce, paprika, and chili peppers, all thrown in a blender and blitzed), then grilled or BBQ’d. Also works really well with chicken breasts to grill and eat with rice.

2 Likes

I bet it was! :yum: That’s my favorite Taiwanese dish, hands down.

1 Like

Made some honey butter chicken biscuits

2 Likes

Looks ok, you should try it on a scone :joy:

What did you use for the biscuits? Butter or shortening?

Butter and buttermilk. I can’t figure out how to make them have flaky lairs.

It’s about keeping the butter cold. Real pastry chefs work in chilled rooms. I mostly make pie crust, but I have a much higher success rate with shortening. That’s because it has a higher melting point. I suggest trying a shortening/ butter mix, or if you want to keep using butter, it’s got to be very cold then back in the fridge

2 Likes

Blech. You can’t eat chicken with scones!

(Cross-reference from British cuisine thread.)

1 Like

I used to use shortening years ago but now avoid hydrogenated oils. Biscuits and pastry are so similar.
Cold butter cut into small pieces then lightly squish the bits into the flour so they are uneven and no larger than a pea. I have to remind myself to barely bring the biscuit or pastry dough together after adding the ice cold liquid or it’ll be tough.
Pat out biscuit dough then cut taking care not to overwork. Let pastry rest in the fridge for an hour before rolling out.
I always bake the bits perhaps with some cinnamon sugar so they are not just the duds.
I really like Gemma Stafford’s pie crust recipe.

3 Likes