The French Connection.....what the FCUK?

so there i was,all happy to “finally” savour this so called cult movie classic,
throughout the first 20 minutes I’m thinking to myself “good movies always start slow,this is just gonna blow my mind later on” then after the 40 minutes mark i was still optimistic,but relatively worried i had just been wasting a chunk of life on a terribly over-hyped movie,

then the credits came…

not impressed…not impressed AT ALL! :fume:

poor acting,(the scene where the 2 pigs roughen up a guy in a park was soooooo unconvincing)
awful script (yeah,and the corker is that it’s meant to be a real life storie…who’d be proud to portray such a law enforcement farce?)
bad directing (alarm bells were ringing 12 minutes into the movie when,in an awful attempt at groundbreaking cinematographic effect(shaky zoom-in on a guy at a coffee shop terrace),it became quickly evident that a kid with an 8mm would have done better!)

You just don’t understand French culture. :beatnik:

it’s a clothing store, frogman.

You pick your feet?

sometimes it makes me fucking glad i don’t,to tell you the truth

yeah,and all those years in the UK i thought it was pretty cool,that we, frogs, had somehow ruled a part of the mob world…hence the bitter disappointment!!

gimme a Tony Soprano anyday!

who doesn’t? :s

[quote=“dablindfrog”]
poor acting,(the scene where the 2 pigs roughen up a guy in a park was soooooo unconvincing)
awful script (yeah,and the corker is that it’s meant to be a real life storie…who’d be proud to portray such a law enforcement farce?)
bad directing (alarm bells were ringing 12 minutes into the movie when,in an awful attempt at groundbreaking cinematographic effect(shaky zoom-in on a guy at a coffee shop terrace),it became quickly evident that a kid with an 8mm would have done better!)[/quote]

I feel sick already!
This film is essentially…nah fuck it…this film IS the basis of all cops and robbers films and TV shows ever since. The hard, gritty cinema verite style used was a deliberate attempt by Friedken and Roizman to “documentarize” the film in order to fully exploit it’s “True Story” roots.
The acting…Hackman’s 2nd best performance ever. He was only ever better in The Conversation.
Directing? This is the one I can’t hack! I found the direction intense and flawless. I think Friedken has only ever bettered himself twice: The Exorcist and Sorcerer.
By the way, with one of the greatest car chases of all time…film is the only medium in which the car chase can exist successfuly. It can’t be done in books. It can’t be done on stage or on radio. Purely a film specialty.

Anyway…I liked it…always have, always will.

You Don’t Mess With the Zohan! on the other hand…good fucking Christ!!!

Had fun then? Never heard that turn of phrase before! ;o)

[quote=“杜 拜蒂”][quote=“dablindfrog”]
bad directing (alarm bells were ringing 12 minutes into the movie when,in an awful attempt at groundbreaking cinematographic effect(shaky zoom-in on a guy at a coffee shop terrace),it became quickly evident that a kid with an 8mm would have done better!)[/quote]

I feel sick already!
This film is essentially…nah fuck it…this film IS the basis of all cops and robbers films and TV shows ever since. The hard, gritty cinema verite style used was a deliberate attempt by Friedken and Roizman to “documentarize” the film in order to fully exploit it’s “True Story” roots.
The acting…Hackman’s 2nd best performance ever. He was only ever better in The Conversation.
Directing? This is the one I can’t hack! I found the direction intense and flawless. I think Friedken has only ever bettered himself twice: The Exorcist and Sorcerer.
By the way, with one of the greatest car chases of all time…film is the only medium in which the car chase can exist successfuly. It can’t be done in books. It can’t be done on stage or on radio. Purely a film specialty.

Anyway…I liked it…always have, always will.

You Don’t Mess With the Zohan! on the other hand…good fucking Christ!!![/quote]
ditto

I’ve no doubt the OP was disappointed.
It isn’t exactly this:
is it?

I think the OP did well to watch it all the way through. I’ve tried a couple of times but it is just shite

Then you missed the best part. Jerry Lewis turns the corner and runs right into Vampirilla and says, “Niiiiice Laaaaydieeee!” So funny.

It was considered the best car chase movie for many many years.
First big time Hollywood movie devoted to exposing organized foreign drug smuggling. Based on a true story of the Marseilles - NY heroin route.
Vehicle for Gene Hackman. Maybe a prequel to all the following ‘cop movies’…i.e. Serpico et al.

Now, its somewhat of a sleeper. No computer effects to keep those short attention spans entertained.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]It was considered the best car chase movie for many many years.
First big time Hollywood movie devoted to exposing organized foreign drug smuggling. Based on a true story of the Marseilles - NY heroin route.
Vehicle for Gene Hackman. Maybe a prequel to all the following ‘cop movies’…i.e. Serpico et al.

Now, its somewhat of a sleeper. No computer effects to keep those short attention spans entertained.[/quote]

All true, that.
PLUS, Jer was never quite the same after he & Dino parted ways…

I really enjoyed the shenanigans of Jimmy Doyle et el.

I think you maybe perceived it would be a good flick as it had French in the title.

I would imagine the same pain as for those suckered into watching The English patient, who imagine a nice hospital waiting room drama only to find an unwatchable piece of garbage.

[quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]I really enjoyed the shenanigans of Jimmy Doyle et el.

I think you maybe perceived it would be a good flick as it had French in the title.

I would imagine the same pain as for those suckered into watching The English patient, who imagine a nice hospital waiting room drama only to find an unwatchable piece of garbage.[/quote]

Yeah, and besides, shouldn’t it be called The Freedom Connection???

EXACTEMENT! Putting a nasty word like French into such a quality piece of artistry really is not the mot juste. (I am just kidding by the way incase any Cherchez le Puanteur types kick off)
:wink:
The Simpsons heartily chose Death drives a stick as a better title.

To the posters who have suggested French Connection was the prototype cop/ chase movie…

I present to you:

[quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]EXACTEMENT! Putting a nasty word like French into such a quality piece of artistry really is not the mot juste. (I am just kidding by the way incase any Cherchez le Puanteur types kick off)
:wink:
The Simpsons heartily chose Death drives a stick as a better title.

To the posters who have suggested French Connection was the prototype cop/ chase movie…

I present to you:

[/quote]

Uh, dude?
Abbott & Costello, Jerry Lewis isn’t in that, waaaay before his time I think.
Just saying is all.

Where are my Forumosa manners? A thread started about The FC is clearly a Jerry Lewis thread in disguise. I am - how to say - one stupid douche yes?

To say he wasn’t great post Dean is to add further insult to Rupert Pupkin.

Also to go off track Gene Hackman was awesome in Superman was he not. Made Kevin Spacey look like one sorry turd. Even Michael Parkinson ripped into him over that performance.