The French

actually, i quite liked “nausea”. it was kierkegaard who always gave me a headache.

of course all these works being translations, one has to wonder if they make more sense in their original lanuage. :slight_smile:

Flipper hit the nail on the head: “Of course, all these works being translations, one has to wonder if they make more sense in their original lanuage.”

The main reason there is this animosity between da French and the non-French is the language barrier. It all SOUNDS and FEELS and GOES much better in French. Flipper, you da genius!

If we could speak their lingo, we’d like them. In fact, we would then be just like them! Case closed. There is nothing more to say…

France needs more people like Sabine Herold…and so does America.

telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh … wfra04.xml

liberte-cherie.com/article.php?id=134

nice. I thought this part was funny/interesting:

[quote]“There is no value put on work in France,” she said. “I’ve just come back from Hong Kong where people love to work. In France they are always looking for a way to get out of it.”

During an exchange term at Birmingham University she was impressed not only by the beer but also by the British work ethic. “If people want to work, they can work. In France we have let the union minority take us all hostage.”[/quote]

[quote=“fred smith”]
Where you get all these pictures and information I will never know but this is good. This is very very good. [/quote]

Pffff…
Fred you’re disappointing me.
You’d eat shit, you’d not even ask “what’s that?”

This pictures means bollocks, or it means what just what want to see.
Here’s what I see:
This artist was a guy who draw portraits in the street for a couple of bucks. To show his skills, he used to draw famous people. Here, in Taiwan, artists like him draw Harry Potter. Well, he used to draw political leaders, nothing to do with placing Saddam and Jacques on the same package. Actually, I’ve seen the whole picture, before Blueface edited it, the two other pictures are Nixon and George Bush senior.

Is the taste familar here too?

You think Iraqi people worship France? I don’t think so. Every time Iran shot down an iraqi plane with a sol/air missile, there was a weird cheese smell before impact.

Taurus

Don’t forget the oldest reason of all:
Frenchmen can more easily than anyone else get laid with your girlfriends / wives /daughters.

When local women ask me if I’m american, and I say “no, no, no, I’m French”, I always get that smile that seem to mean “yeah, i’ll have an orgasm at last…”

Taurus, waiting to see who’s gonna catch the bait :wink: :smiley:

I think she’s right. It’s not gonna work however. She’s not the first one to try and she’ll fail like her predecessors.

I don’t really get the Joan of Arc stuff. That one is not trying to kick brits out. Maybe because she’s still a virgin…

Taurus

[quote=“Taurus”]Don’t forget the oldest reason of all: Frenchmen can more easily than anyone else get laid with your girlfriends / wives /daughters.

When local women ask me if I’m American, and I say “no, no, no, I’m French”, I always get that smile that seem to mean “yeah, I’ll have an orgasm at last…”

Taurus, waiting to see who’s gonna catch the bait :wink: :smiley:[/quote]

I’ll take the bait :laughing: … all the French girls I used to know constantly complained about French guys… they all said French guys all prefer anal to vaginal sex… The French girls all wondered whether the French guys were not actually more interested in men… :wink:

[quote=“Taurus”][quote=“fred smith”]
Where you get all these pictures and information I will never know but this is good. This is very very good. [/quote]

Pffff…
Fred you’re disappointing me.
You’d eat shit, you’d not even ask “what’s that?”

This pictures means bollocks, or it means what just what want to see.
Here’s what I see:
This artist was a guy who draw portraits in the street for a couple of bucks. To show his skills, he used to draw famous people. Here, in Taiwan, artists like him draw Harry Potter. Well, he used to draw political leaders, nothing to do with placing Saddam and Jacques on the same package. Actually, I’ve seen the whole picture, before Blueface edited it, the two other pictures are Nixon and George Bush senior.

Is the taste familar here too?

Taurus[/quote]
Hey, Taurus, if “Blueface edited it,” then why is that image being served directly from Yahoo’s image server at yimg.com?

Does this mean that Blueface owns Yahoo? Or does he work for them? Or is he a hacker who can get into their servers and edit their pictures at will?

Link to the photo, direct from Yahoo:
us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ … xel102.jpg

Link to the photo-and-caption web page, again direct from Yahoo:
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … 4q2bn.html

Maybe there’s another image which shows more drawings, but if so, I couldn’t find it on Yahoo. A search using the keywords “Chirac Saddam” only turns up that one image. Even using other, more generic, keywords (such as “Palestinian shop”, “souvenier shop”, and so on from that photo’s caption doesn’t turn up the “whole picture” that you claim to have seen. Perhaps you could find it to show that you weren’t “sexing up” your allegations about Blueface?

Edited to add: inspiration struck! I looked up all images under the name of the photographer, “Lukatsky”. Of 43 images available by him, precisely zero of them show the same scene, nor even a similar scene with a different crop. (There are a few others which show completely different scenes that have completely different paintings in them, though, like one showing four Hamas martyrs’ pictures, and a couple showing little kids holding up photos of their fathers who are in Israeli jails. But nothing even close to the “Bush, Chirac, Nixon, and Saddam” set that Taurus claims.)

Note: the image was dated July 18th. Yahoo’s retention time is usually about two weeks, so after around August 1st, it will probably disappear from Yahoo.

Well I would have to be worried when Saddam and Chirac are viewed as being the same by the Iraqis or Iraqi leadership. If Chirac is a hero to Saddam what does that make him?

Two sons whacked and gone as well as the grandson. Patience patience patience. This is not to say that the Iraqis are going to be easy to lead to self-rule. After all, this is a country with very little civic mindedness. All is tribal. Africa with an attitude, but I still think it is possible to improve upon enough to leave something stable behind in a couple of years. What would the alternative be?

I hear that a nuclear scientist just turned himself in. Will be eager for good news but cautious given all the other news reports that turned out not to be true. Amazing that everyone still puts so much trust in reporting when papers print articles that weapons of mass destruction never existed when any fool can check their archives and see that all of them claimed that they did mere months before the war.

Taurus:

Given that the US and France are nominally allies, what is your take on the actions of France at the UN Security Council prior to the invasion? I think that such actions deserve to be punished. We can all be cynical and talk about each other behind each other’s backs but when it comes to active malicious efforts to isolate and stir up one’s friends against one perhaps even BRIBE them to do so then there is going to be one less seat filled at my dinner party. I think diplomacy is the same way. Au revoir France. Learn some manners and then come back as a thoroughly chastened lout eager to prove itself as a decent houseguest who will NEVER EVER commit such travesties of civility again in the future…

As to French men and orgasms, I will have to take your word for it. That said, sleazy and romantic are two different things surely? But truth be told I think the rural areas of France have a different approach to these things then Paris. Ironically, I would say Paris reminds me most of Los Angeles in America with its reputation for mindless superficiality and affairs for the sake of having affairs (no doubt they give one a certain cachet as being an interesting and desirable person) with a bit of high-brow wouldbe intellectualism ala Brown, Colombia and Berkeley thrown in for good measure.

Can anyone truly say that Foucault or Derrida have added to Western philosophy? And this latest book by Michel Houllebecq sp? France is wallowing in nihilism and I wish those that ascribe to it would fast forward the tape of their lives to the logical conclusion and spare us the ordeal of having to watch/listen to it.

Fred.
For a moment there, I thought you were slipping. I could have lost all respect for you. This is only a Frenchman you are arguing against right? They aren’t the most combative, victorious people.
Taurus,
And if that pic was doctored, let’s see you post the original so that we may see for ourselves.
I think like your nom de guerre, you too are full of bull. oui, oui.

Apres bu, [fais] dodo.

Under a google search for “bad french” i found

[quote]Joke #3728. Title: Signs you have a bad french doctor
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002
12 You go to him for a separated shoulder, and he suggests you rub a croissant on the affected area three times a day

11 He tells you that your deodorant is giving you headaches and that you should take fewer showers

10 Insists on watching Jerry Lewis telethon tapes during open heart surgery

9 Prescribes “butter, and plenty of it!”

8 Fills your IV bag with Beaujolais Nouveau

7 Suggests radical “brie implant”

6 In the middle of your checkup, lets a German doctor bully his way into being your new primary care physician

5 Tells you to smoke two packs and call him in the morning

4 White lab coat embroidered with Pepe LePew holding caduceus symbol

3 Recommends surgery, you say no way, and he immediately surrenders

2 Skips out, leaves you to pay the check at a Vietnamese restaurant

1 Asks, “So what I misdiagnosed you, monsieur? I work for the government and cannot ever be fired. Vive longtemps le médecine sociale!” [/quote]

a movie review about bad french films

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … ar_fallout

here’s another reason to hate Chirac.

[quote]PAPEETE, Tahiti - French President Jacques Chirac, making his first visit to Polynesia since ordering a final round of nuclear tests in the South Pacific in 1995, on Saturday defended the decades of testing that some islanders claimed gave them cancer.

Chirac broke a three-year international moratorium on nuclear testing shortly after coming to power in 1995, sparking a global uproar. The testing was stopped a year later.

Chirac squarely denied the tests had sickened workers and said surveys of radiation exposure were unnecessary.

“There are no health consequences, either in the short-term or long-term,” he told daily “les Nouvellles de Tahiti.” He said experts had concluded that detailed radiation surveys were not needed, though the government would keep checking radiation levels. [/quote]

yah, right if there were no dangers, then why not do nuke testing in France. We need to put this man in a box and expose him to a nuke (far enough away from the physical blast) and see how he lives after that.

What need does a surrendering Military have for Nukes in the first place?

This was one of my earlier points.

Everyone rails on the US for not supporting Kyoto but no European nation that has signed it really has any intention of following it to the letter.

Second, when has the US engaged so recently in such tests and in such a high handed manner and total disregard for the Natives?

Finally, this is not the limit to France’s egregious behavior. While some may complain about US actions, they have never reached the depths of cynicism and cruel self-aggrandizement that Paris’s have.

So much for the US and its shameful unprecedented unilateralism in Iraq. Hah!

frederick p. smith v.

yah, right if there were no dangers, then why not do nuke testing in France.[/quote]
Or as I’ve been saying since those tests, “Nuke Paris – Make the City of Lights Glow in the Dark.”

Gee, this doesn’t exactly help your case, or win sympathy points. And not just the “natives” as you put it, but Nevadans too or are they also “natives”? (despite your little “so recently” which counts for shiite)

You know we were doing so fine dumping on the French and here you go trumpeting the US in an issue which the US, like USSR and other Nuke-loving nations are guilty… Gee, Fred, you are slipping.

Well there is a slight difference in my book when the tests are done at home and underground and are not leaking radiation. I understand that these coral atolls are very fragile and may be leaking plutonium but no one can get close enough to take readings. We must trust the French government to do so. I guess that was my point. Besides, you have to tweak the French once in a while. It is what Allah put them on earth for.

As opposed to what? The US tests in the Marianas?

http://166.122.164.43/archive/2003/May/05-19-02.htm

The British nuclear tests in Australia:

http://www.tac.com.au/~anva/tests.htm

HG

RECENTLY RECENTLY Most of these tests were done and ended by the late 1960s no? I think that with the French doing these in 1995-6 that would be a bit different. Non?

Anyway, I think my point is clear. Take it any way you want but I am still going to try to tweak the French a bit. After all this bullshit about Kyoto is such hypocrisy that someone has to have a bit of fun with them. Ditto for the Common Agricultural Policy and then again just for being French?

Hey, where are all the frogs these days? Taurus? Spring Chicken?

As opposed to what? the US tests in the Marianas?

http://166.122.164.43/archive/2003/May/05-19-02.htm

The British nuclear tests in Australia:

http://www.tac.com.au/~anva/tests.htm

HG[/quote]
Slight difference: the U.S. and British tests ended in 1958, according to your websites.

The French nuked the South Pacific most recently in 1996, if I recall correctly, despite worldwide condemnation and protest. However, as usual, the Frogs acted unilaterally without even the slightest attempt to build a coalition or get anyone else on board.

Bravo Mapodofu:

Yes, why is it the French are so unilateral? They refused to negotiate the Kyoto Protocols with the US but just said take it or leave it. Then they went ahead and formed a coalition of the willing to get people to sign onto their effort without making the least effort to negotiate or bridge their differences with the US

Then they totally thumbed their noses at agricultural reform by refusing to negotiate again with Europe on CAP. The French are so unilateralist. Why cannot they abide by the provisions of the WTO?

As to the nuclear tests, I do not believe that this was sent to the UN security council even for a vote and no one signed on or agreed to this. shocking unilateralism.

Then the fourth case, they unilaterally refused to support the US led coalition in Iraq once again betraying their unilateralist impulses. We need to have countries cooperating together not driving the world apart for the selfish motives of one nation: France!