The GAME CLUB oh yeah!

Just got back from HK, got a board game for Chinese Scrabble…
anyone interested?

regards

ax

any diplomacy fans here? i got a set, it’s like a simplified but much more interesting version of risk

Bring it, I’ll play. I like risk so it sounds good.

I think Diplomacy would be tricky for a cafe, becuase you need to be able to get up and make secret deals with the other players in private. It also takes a long time. I also like risk, but again, I don’t think it’s good for a cafe - too many little pieces. I’d be up for both in a different setting - maybe someone’s house one evening (with beer)?

brian

Sir Don, that could also be arranged.

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]I think Diplomacy would be tricky for a cafe, becuase you need to be able to get up and make secret deals with the other players in private. It also takes a long time. I also like risk, but again, I don’t think it’s good for a cafe - too many little pieces. I’d be up for both in a different setting - maybe someone’s house one evening (with beer)?

brian[/quote]

you’re right, not great for a cafe. i’m up for it or risk or whatever, my house is not great for it with two little ones about but i’m able to bring some refreshments.

I play Dip by mail. If Segue says it is okay, I can GM a game here. Get seven knife owners together and let me know if you want to play gunboat or regular.

DB

Greetings DB

I last played Diplomacy about 25 years ago. The board was a map of Europe in 1914. Just wondering if that has changed. And what’s gunboat?

So where and when to play this weekend?
I’m free Sat and Sun.

regards

ax

Hey maxymise,

Gunboat is a variant where you do not know who the other players are. All negociations are done via Press. What is really nasty is a Gunboat Black Press game. Black Press is where you can impersonate anybody else. White press is where you can only write under your own country’s headline. Or no press, “talking” is done by your moves.

And yes, the board is the same. There is also a really fun LOTR variant.

Thanks for the explanation, DB

via press? you lost me there.

Anton,

To answer your question, while I’ll be out of town this weekend, I’m sure the regular gathering of 5 to 10 people will meet at the cafe one door to the east of Gramma Nittis, off of Shita Rd, on Sunday at 3:00 for chess, backgammon, chinese chess, or whatever someone happens to bring, including scrabble if you bring it. Newcomers are always welcome. There may or may not be a separate gathering for Dip or Gunboat or whatever, but the former has been a constant for months now. I hope to see you there after I return.

Press is usually used in PBM (Play By Mail) games. In regular games, it is usually used to razz other players or just to be silly. It is almost like a newsletter printed out below the moves.

EX:
Rus-Tur: Coming for you and your harems and am planning to show both parties what being a real man is all about.

Eng-Fra: A move into the channel throws me over to the Germans. At wisely and I will see you in Ank.

Press is usually stuff like that. It can get nasty at times, especially after a stab.

In Gunboat games, it is used to communicate with your fellow cutlery users as you don’t know who you are playing against.

There is also a Fog-of-War variant (I’m in one right now as France) where you only “see” those provinces that your unit is adjacent to. Spring 01’ sees my F Brest-MAO. I can see a Pom fleet in the Channel but cannot see his other units. I am guessing he has a F NS. I also know he has an army ready to transport someplace nasty. Lots if fun!

I also really enjoy Hardbop Downfall (a Dip variant based on LOTR)

DB

You gamers should think about getting a game of Dungeons going. 3rd edition rocks. Our group is going on our 13th year. A great way to spend a Wednesday night. We set up a gaming room at one of the schools and it is a blast!

DB

check out how Chinese Scrable is played here:
pmcpsam.edu.hk/library-feb.htm

hope there’s someone’s interested in trying:)

regards
ax

It was great meeting today. I have a great time guys. Thanks for the company. Hope we play again soon. Next week I won’t be there. I’m attending a Xmas party at Holy Family church…

regards

ax

The club is still going on. I didn’t make it last week, but I’ll be there tomorrow.

I was looking for Sir Donald Bradman to play Chinese Scrabble again. I won’t be there this Sunday.

I brought my Chinese Scrabble to the office, but nobody seems to be interested. My opinion is formed now, that scrabble is not a taiwanese game. Honkonger are more into word games. That is why it’s made in HK instead of TW.

regards,

ax

I might be a little late today. But I definitely mean to turn up. Who else will be there? Miltownkid? Alleycat?

Iris