The Giant Thali Challenge

Teenage boys trying to out-jock each other? Can’t really think of any other market. An eating challenge venue is probably not a very good option for a first date…although who knows, spilling food all over your date could be a good icebreaker?

1 Like

I’m betting it’s just about 2K normal price going by their menu. They just think enough people will lose that they win.

@olm Thank you for your kind words and patronage to The Thali!
Yes…Terence, the owner of Thali, is Indian Chinese (who also happens to be my brother), was born and raised in Kolkata and we can both speak the lingo and know our curries very well. The kitchen staff comprises of 4 chefs who also hails from India & one of our servers is also Indian Chinese. You are all welcome to drop by for a quick bite and you can also catch me there on weekends as I go over there to help my brother as it gets very busy in the evenings.

Sorry, haven’t heard about Kingfeemer beer until now that you’ve mentioned it (I googled it)…I’m not sure why you call Kingfisher “fake” (is it due to the Vijay Mallya connection?") & why does serving Kingfisher make us less authentic? We serve Taiwan Beer, Heineken, wines from Italy and California as well…does that make our food less Indian?

No, the curry is normal and we WILL NOT purposely spice the challenge Thali curries to a million Scoville units just to get ppl to pay up. In fact, we want ppl to try the challenge and win it. It’s one way to promote our business.

Nah! The word “Thali” means the steel plate that the food is served in…it has nothing to do with food being unlimited. I’ve eaten countless number of Thalis all over India and they were all a set meal…I believe Kunal was referring to the food that is served in Indian marriages & in the temples where they keep topping up your curries and rice.

You can order it too and not do the challenge. It serves a minimum of 4 ppl & it costs NT$1600. A family of 6 had just ordered “The Giant” this past Saturday.

It costs 1600 and it serves 4 ppl…and no, we are not trying to “scam” anyone…it’s just an open challenge…If you want to accept it, just sign up, if you don’t, you’re welcome to drop by and try our other dishes. :grinning:

Yes, we deliver via Food Panda, Uber Eats, JKOS, La laMove etc (although Panda and Uber is temporarily down for us as they’re in the process of updating our new menu")…and sorry, we do not deliver the Giant Thali or our Dosas and Pani Puris…they have to be ordered and eaten in-store.

3 Likes

Good response.

I would gently suggest you drop the “act like a pig and it’s yours for free” challenges. As the bear said, it might work just fine under different circumstances, but it’s not good PR for an establishment at the high end of the market. You’ll just get people making a spectacle of themselves and putting all the other diners off their food.

A better option might be to just offer a steep discount on the thali during off-peak times, or even a random discount (say, draw a ticket when you pay your bill and score up to 50% off). This would allow you to prep a lot of stuff up-front (thus reducing the overall cost of the product) and will get you the desired exposure to a new batch of curious customers who might not otherwise make the trek to your location.

Just a thought, from someone who’s been there and done that.

1 Like

Thanks for all the information and answers.
Your website is great.

1 Like

Limitless thalis are definitely a thing. I’ve had them.

Is there parking?
Or at least convenient parking nearby?

I’ll definitely going to order it, but just to enjoy. I’m not Joey Chestnut.

That may just have been because they were scared of you.

True dat. When the bear asks for more he gets more. No ifs, no butts, no maybees.

Thank you for your suggestion…The challenge is just for a limited time only and it coincides with the launching of our new menu and introducing our Giant Thali and Giant Dosa to our customers. It’s taken us a couple of months to come up with this idea and most of our regular patrons like & approve of it as well. Also, this is not a “walk-in” challenge where anyone can just walk in and say they wanna do the challenge. One must first register & sign up for the challenge and then we will contact them on which day they can come (usually on weekdays in the afternoons when it’s not busy). This will help prevent other diners being put off who are there to enjoy their food.

We do have our Business Lunch specials during Mondays to Fridays with discounted prices & during most festivals and holidays (like Republic Day, the upcoming Aug15th Independence Day & 8-8 Father’s day (巴巴節), we will have a Special Set of food items on discount. We had even given out discounted vouchers, Buy 1 Get 1 free vouchers & free Tandoori Chicken tickets on our previous events. I will forward your suggestion to my brother and have given him this forumosa thread link to read. Thank You finley!!

Thank you for your info…I hope to try them one day when I go to Mumbai once again. I haven’t seen them around in Kolkata during my 23 years there.

Yes, there is a junior high school parking lot just a 2 mins drive from our restaurant and there’s also another near the 哈拉影城Ha-La Cinema area (about 5 mins walking distance).

1 Like

It’s very close to the brown line MRT, if it helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

The brown line shall henceforth be known as the curry line.

3 Likes

It’s very close to the brown line MRT, if it helps

Oh yes!! It is just a 2 mins walk from the Dong Hu MRT exit 3…You get out at exit 3 and walk towards the Public Library, past the 7-11, make a right turn and you will find the Thali! I take the MRT every weekend from Xinzhuang (Blue line to Brown Line) to go there. It’s very convenient! :grinning:

Hey SO are the normal thalis available at any time, weekends included?

Welcome to Taiwan! You speak Chinese very well :slight_smile:

Sounds like you’ve thought this through. I’ll definitely give it a try if I’m in the area (unfortunately, it’s at least an hour away from where I live).

1 Like

Yes!, We offer Veg, Chicken, Beef & Mutton Thalis
Visit our menu online @ http://online.fliphtml5.com/ovcdx/zuzw/

1 Like

Well, I’ve only been here for 18 years :wink:

@springonion, do you cater to vegetarians? Can I ask do you use ghee or vegetable oil?

Thanks in advance.

FIFY :sunglasses:

2 Likes

What? kingfisher is everywhere in India.