The GOP Convention Theme for Sept 2: Who is John McCain?

So who is he and make your best er arguement. :laughing:

He a guy that’ll get the State troopers in riot gear to arrest dozen of protestors exercising their freedom of assembly and freedom of speech at the GOP Convention.

^ You see any of us calling those protesters, loonies, for blocking roads?

Those protesters are arrested and release with a small charge. Their freedom of speech hasn’t been denied. Just mid-halted but they’ll be back.

As for John McCain… Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. A huge “eh” indeed. :slight_smile:

Flew 23 missions as part of plan to “bomb North Vietnam back to the stone ages.”
For many that is true heroism…

[quote=“Mawvellous”]Flew 23 missions as part of plan to “bomb North Vietnam back to the stone ages.”
For many that is true heroism…[/quote]
I don’t think the Democrats should go there. He served his country in time of war, followed orders, and suffered greatly. Very admirable in my book.

He’s the man with the facial mask … night or day?

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]
I don’t think the Democrats should go there. He served his country in time of war, followed orders, and suffered greatly. Very admirable in my book.[/quote]

No I don’t imagine they will! I am speaking as a foreign observer.

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]
I don’t think the Democrats should go there. He served his country in time of war, followed orders, and suffered greatly. Very admirable in my book.[/quote]

No I don’t imagine they will! I am speaking as a foreign observer.[/quote]
Okay. Go for it.

The Dems don’t have the disrespect for war veterans that the Republicans showed in the 2004 campaign. Purple heart bandaids…not a tactic the Dems would stoop to.

Who is he? Dunno. A one-armed baby-murderer?

The Dems don’t have the disrespect for war veterans that the Republicans showed in the 2004 campaign. Purple heart bandaids…not a tactic the Dems would stoop to.[/quote]
Yes. I think Obama has been doing pretty good so far. Not stooping to their level, but not making Kerry’s mistakes by totally ignoring to smears directed his way.

Also Dukakis’s mistake in 88.

Republicans smear: it’s their nature. It’s essential to debunk their smears forcefully and immediately, lest they fester and become perceived as truth.

Also Dukakis’s mistake in 88.

Republicans smear: it’s their nature. It’s essential to debunk their smears forcefully and immediately, lest they fester and become perceived as truth.[/quote]
And the Democrats have got plenty on the Republicans without having to make stuff up. I wish the bloggers would lay off Palin and her kids and concentrate on the high crimes and misdemeaners that the current administration is going to get away with if McCain gets elected.

He’s a war hero. No one in their right mind can or would deny that. But is that enough?

Kerry was also somewhat of a war hero. Admittedly his story was far less compelling than McCain’s, but he was 1,000 times the war hero that his opponent, who bailed out on Natl. Guard duty, was and he ended up losing. So, apparently the voters don’t just look to ancient past history war heroics. Apparently they’re more concerned with the future.

Second to being a war hero, McCain’s a Republican (following 8 years of disastrous Republican rule) and an old man with heart trouble (and a completely inexperienced, evangelical, mommy for a VP). Two big strikes against him.

The polls may be neck and neck now, but Obama will gain a nice lead as we get closer, as the people question whether they really want (a) 4 more years of Bush or, worse yet, (b) Palin leading our nation.

Getting shot down and tortured for 5 years doesn’t make you a war hero. But the way he handled his imprisonment makes him a Hero period. He could have gotten out early. He elected to stay, and he suffered unimaginably for it.

Watch the speech Fred Thompson gave tonight. If half of what he said is true…holey batshit.

That alone is not going to get him elected, but if it doesn’t earn respect and admiration, then nothing can.

War hero or not, it doesn’t mean he is fit or qualified as president. If that’s one of the key reasons to support McCain I feel sorry for those voters. What’s next, a movie actor as president?

[color=#FFFFFF]Yes, I do know RR was an actor, thank you.[/color]

[quote=“Surly”]Getting shot down and tortured for 5 years doesn’t make you a war hero. But the way he handled his imprisonment makes him a Hero period. He could have gotten out early. He elected to stay, and he suffered unimaginably for it.

Watch the speech Fred Thompson gave tonight. If half of what he said is true…holey batshit.

That alone is not going to get him elected, but if it doesn’t earn respect and admiration, then nothing can.[/quote]

The way he handled his imprisonment may have been heroic, he certainly suffered a great deal.

However there was nothing heroic about the bombing of Vietnam (and neighbouring states). I would have more respect for a man who told his commander he was having no part in such criminal action.

But the average white person is going to start thinking whether they really want the Cosby kids in the White House. Maybe I underestimate them, but I think that is what will make this a very close race. They won’t admit it. One of McCain’s advisors said yesterday, “This election is not about the issues.”

“Who is John McCain” is the theme alright.
This is Rudy’s speech.

And here is Palin’s: