The (Grand) Ultimate Boot CD - Techies will be pleased

If you’ve never heard of this before, take a look. I think you’ll like it.

ubcd.sourceforge.net/

(unnecessary story)

I found this a while ago, but tried making the Windows one (and never got it to work right because mine is a Chinese copy I think). I forgot that I had also burned the regular one, but found it about a week ago.

Well, my Linux computer had been crashing on me (with every version I tried) and I just thought… well, I didn’t think about it much since I wasn’t using it much. Well it hit me the other day that the drive probably has some bad sectors or something, but how do you scandisk in Linux?

Found this page:
yhslug.tux.org/docs/hdtest.htm

Drats, I need a boot disk.

Found this page:
toms.net/rb/

Dang it, my floppy drive doesn’t work. Wonder if it’s on that UBCD I burn.
:smiley: It was.

e2fsck -c -c -y /dev/hda1

[quote=“miltownkid”]If you’ve never heard of this before, take a look. I think you’ll like it.

ubcd.sourceforge.net/

(unnecessary story)

I found this a while ago, but tried making the Windows one (and never got it to work right because mine is a Chinese copy I think). I forgot that I had also burned the regular one, but found it about a week ago.

Well, my Linux computer had been crashing on me (with every version I tried) and I just thought… well, I didn’t think about it much since I wasn’t using it much. Well it hit me the other day that the drive probably has some bad sectors or something, but how do you scandisk in Linux?

Found this page:
yhslug.tux.org/docs/hdtest.htm

Drats, I need a boot disk.

Found this page:
toms.net/rb/

Dang it, my floppy drive doesn’t work. Wonder if it’s on that UBCD I burn.
:smiley: It was.

e2fsck -c -c -y /dev/hda1[/quote]

Both e2fsck and badblocks should be found on any Knoppix live CD (I’m using Kanotix, and it’s definitely there).

Be sure that you run either e2fsck or badblocks on UNMOUNTED partitions only.

cheers,
DB

Yeah, that’s why I needed something to boot with. It fixed the problem. The CD has all kinds of cool programs on it though and you can even add your own.