The Graphic Novel / Comic Book Thread

Thanks ensign, I’ll check it out. I have Sandman vol 3 on my night table. :smiley:

Once I burn through this Ryu Murakami novel, I’ll be all over that one.

[quote=“ensign”]Hi JD,
If you like “Sandman”, once you have finished the series, you may like to go on and read “Lucifer” written by Mike Carey. If you have read Sandman volume 4 “Season of Mists” then you’ll know that it begins with Lucifer resigning as ruler of Hell. The Lucifer series then tells goes on to tell what he does as a free agent.

In my book Lucifer surpasses Sandman for sheer reading pleasure.
[/quote]
I ordered the first three Lucifer books ensign! Yowza! Finished book one. Shall we say I’m hooked?

jdsubmits
:notworthy:

I just finished reading Watchmen for the first time.
Very cool read. As good as everyone said it was.
But it would be hard to make a movie to do it justice.

Also for the first time, I read Sandman.
(Vol. 1, Preludes & Nocturnes, Issues 1-8)
I read a lot of comics when I was younger, but never really got into this “darker” stuff.
I thought it started off slow and the story line was a bit muddled at first.
It picked up though as Sandman’s character got a bit more defined.
It ends with us being introduced to Death, his sister, who looks like she might liven things up.
I guess I’ll have to read the other 67 issues.

Next up: Marvel’s House Of M

I was lucky enough to pick up all 3 of these here, used and and decent condition. :slight_smile:

where?

Sandman got away from the past sandmen characters after that book…although one does return later on for a wicked plot twist, actually it’s the wife that’s important. No more Justice Leaguers after book one thank god.

Just Lucifer, gods, demons galore, serial killers, Fiddler’s Green, the undead, the unwilling to die and Shakespeare.

I have all of them and all of the Lucifer books. But they don’t leave the house. :smiley:

From Bongos/Gm.Nitties.
A guy named Simon keeps both places stocked up, and they have the best selection of used English books in the city.
It’s pretty rare for them to get graphic novels in though.

The Planet Hulk GN, if you can find it, is pretty good. Basically presents the Hulk as something other than a raving lunatic. I have it in hard-cover and it was pricy. Come to think of it, I need to get it back from a friend…

The Ultimates is fantastic. Not sure what GN they are up to. Basically, any Ultimate line comic with Captain America in it is a hoot. He’s absolutely ruthless and completely loyal to someone’s idea of America. The Ultimate version of X-Men isn’t bad either. I like the presentation of Professor Xavier as something less and more than the altruistic civil rights worker in the older comics.

The recent Astonishing X-Men with Joss Whedon as the writer weren’t bad either, but I haven’t read the fourth and final GN.

The Civil War core book GN was great. The Thunderbolts Civil War GN sucked hard.

Page One is having a big sale with a large selection of books at 50% off.
Over by the Graphic Novels section there’s a bunch that are mostly crap, but there’s some good stuff in there.
I picked up this:

this: (Alan Moore!)

and this: This was the hottest series in 1994. I never got to read it because the individual issues were insanely expensive.

All in all, after 50% discount, the lot only cost me 799. :slight_smile:

I’m resurrecting this thread because
A) I’m the mod and I can do what I like
B) I’m keen to see how many comic/graphic novel geeks we have around here. I know Threadkiller, jimipresley, the chief and Josefus all know their way around a comic shop, and we are witness to that very rare occurrence of two ladies who read graphic novels (kage and nama in her youth). Who else reads graphic novels? Nerds stand up and be counted! What you been reading lately?

I would like to be counted as a comics reader. Although it is more difficult now because I live in Taichung. Does anybody know where there are some places that sell western comics in Taichung :ponder: ?

I’m reading through Preacher for the first time.

I really enjoyed the first few, but it gets a bit lame later.

When the break arrives, I’ll chat to funk500 and will read this thread for ideas. But I think my introduction to graphic novels a few years ago has ruined me.

I started with the best, thanks to jimipresley’s suggestions: Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series was my entry point. After that I moved on to Alan Moore (Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, Promethea, etc.) Besides Gaiman and Moore, Grant Morrison wowed me with The Invisibles.

I’ve read some after this - from these authors and others - but nothing gives me the high I used to have. Y: The Last Man, The Boys, Sin City, Preacher, The Dark Tower. All okay, but not spectacular.

I hope I find something good soon.

Speaking of Grant Morrison, I particularly liked his treatment of “Animal Man”, and LOVED his reworking of “Doom Patrol”.

Anybody who has never read Astro City should.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”]When the break arrives, I’ll chat to funk500 and will read this thread for ideas. But I think my introduction to graphic novels a few years ago has ruined me.

I started with the best, thanks to jimipresley’s suggestions: Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series was my entry point. After that I moved on to Alan Moore (Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, Promethea, etc.) Besides Gaiman and Moore, Grant Morrison wowed me with The Invisibles.

I’ve read some after this - from these authors and others - but nothing gives me the high I used to have. Y: The Last Man, The Boys, Sin City, Preacher, The Dark Tower. All okay, but not spectacular.

I hope I find something good soon.[/quote]

I have your salvation- Ed Brubaker. Check out Sleeper and Criminal. Both are fantastic. I’d say Sleeper is my all time favourite comic. It or ‘From Hell’ anyway.

Also, have you read Persopolis?

I have the deluxe version of The Killing Joke with the pre-accident scenes with the Joker done in black and white the way Brian Bolland intended. It also has commentary by Bolland.

I really enjoyed the first few, but it gets a bit lame later.[/quote]

I am gobsmacked that you could even think this, Preacher was the freshest , most meaningful GN I’d read since, like, Transmet.
Maybe you need to be N American.
Or have an IQ above 60.

My nephew manages a comic shop and sent me a bunch of DH rereleased #1s as a gift, included in there was #1 of The Goon

I really dug it, it’s pretty…unique.

I’d kill to read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing series.

I’ve read all of Moore’s Swamp Thing. Beautiful stuff. I only have the first two collections of his writings for the series, though (collecting issues 21 to 34). Remind me before we might meet up at an event and I’ll bring them for your use - as long as you promise not to make them
DIRTY

Did some shopping recently, so just finished three:

Hellblazer: Tainted Love. Not bad. A Garth Ennis’ (of Preacher) take on Constantine.

Also just read Coraline, Craig Russel’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s spooky kids’ book. I never read the novel, but the story is certainly creepier than the animated movie (which wasn’t bad).

And finally, Fall of Gilead of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. I’ve read 4 of the others in the series and maintain my belief that these are best enjoyed by fans of the original novels. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this installment most. Beautiful artwork throughout the entire series.

I’m actively working on a graphic novel review website aimed at casual readers, and I would recommend titles such as Sandman, Fables, Y:the last man, or I Kill Giants. If you want to see some review, hope you can check out my website:

1foe.com

Let me know what you think!
Thanks,
P.

I wish Sam Kieth were still doing The Maxx.

It would be interesting to read again without knowing what is going to happen next.