The Graphic Novel / Comic Book Thread

I’ve just finished Preacher (66 issues) for the first time and the first 79 of The Walking Dead.
Also the short Pitt/Darkness crossover.
I think I’ll check out Scott Pilgrim next.

[quote=“Josefus”]I’ve just finished Preacher (66 issues) for the first time and the first 79 of The Walking Dead.
Also the short Pitt/Darkness crossover.
I think I’ll check out Scott Pilgrim next.[/quote]
And what did you think young man?

I bought Ignition City, Fell and The Green Woman when I was at home but had no chance to read em yet.

Does anybody here know where to get good comics in Taichung :ponder: ?

I think you’re gonna have to come up to the Big Smoke but then again pickings are pretty slim.

I was surprised to get a copy of Adam Warren’s version of Dirty Pair at Page One.

Is Banana Comics still open?

I thought Preacher was great right up to the end. I didn’t like the finish at all. Can’t really say much more without spoiling it. But as a whole, very thought provoking and well written by Garth Ennis with plenty of shocking moments. Not for those with weak stomachs.

The Walking Dead has been solid too. It’s B&W and is an ongoing series. The first pilot TV season was just finished and is only 6 episodes long. I watched it first and enjoyed it and then read the comics. The comics are a bit different than the show. In a nutshell is an end-of-the-world-zombie-apocalypse type story, but is character driven.

I’ve just finished the first Scott Pilgrim book. LOVE IT! Laugh-out-loud funny. Highly recommended. Haven’t seen the movie yet.

I’m reading “House of Mystery” courtesy of ThreadKiller and “Transmetropolitan” courtesy of the chief. Really enjoying them! :thumbsup:

I have quite enjoyed what I have read of the House of Mystery so far - it’s not The Sandman series, but it has potential and I’d like to see where the story goes.

Everyone in the house must tell stories as payment for their drinks and some of the tales within a tale are quite good.

Unfortunately, I’ve only been able to find the first two collections in Taipei so far (Room and Boredom, Love Stories for Dead People). Might see if I can order some more.

I wandered into Page One and saw that they had stocked up on a new series, “Gotham Central”.

I took one home. I wasn’t wowed, but rather intrigued. I like the premise of the story: Gotham’s beleaguered police force fighting crime in Batman’s shadow (he is only peripherally in the stories). I enjoyed the first collection and will go back for more.

In The Line of Duty looks awesome.

It’s still not wowing me as much as the Sandman series or certain Alan Moore offerings, but after reading the second collection (from Page One) - Book Two: Jokers and Madmen - I suspect I’ll go back for more. I’m getting to know the police officer characters (whose city is protected by the bat, but whose jobs are complicated by his existence) and am intrigued to see where it will all go.

I know next to nothing about graphic novels, but tonight I discovered that the bookstore in Breeze Center (Kinokuniya, or whatever) actually has a sizeable comic book/ graphic novel collection: maybe bigger than Page One’s. Lots of Marvel stuff, for better or worse; main thing I noted is that they’re missing Volume 1’s for series I’ve vaguely heard about and may have picked up had they been available (Sandman).

The Joker on the cover of Gotham Central looks like the Jack Nicholson one from Tim Burton’s Batman movie.

first issues are often snapped up regardless of whether they are good or not, then held and resold for profit.

Oh, and by the way: Marvel killed off Spiderman this month (slain by… get the book yourself, I’m no spoilsport).

Next month, he’s back, but it’s NOT Peter parker.

I think they’re just severing all connection possible with the Broadway musical, courtesy of Bono and the Edge.

[quote=“urodacus”]first issues are often snapped up regardless of whether they are good or not, then held and resold for profit.

Oh, and by the way: Marvel killed off Spiderman this month (slain by… get the book yourself, I’m no spoilsport).

Next month, he’s back, but it’s NOT Peter parker.

I think they’re just severing all connection possible with the Broadway musical, courtesy of Bono and the Edge.[/quote]

What about severing connections with Spider-man 3 :ponder: ?

That might be a good thing. You should not start by reading Volume 1. Preludes and Nocturnes is alright, but it’s a horror story and just doesn’t give any indication of how deep the series is going to get. Start with 2 - The Doll’s House or 5 - A Game of You (which is actually easily read apart from the rest of the series). The Sandman Series is the reason I started to enjoy graphic novels and I followed jimipresley’s advice (he sometimes makes sense) by not reading no. 1 first. When another friend asked me about Sandman, I told her not to start with number 1, but she did anyway and then complained that she thought the series was crap. The idiot! For me, volumes 2, 5, 7 (Brief Lives) and 9 (The Kindly Ones) are sublime. Sandman is something you read more than once. So it’s fine to start reading it by choosing later volumes.

Sandman is brilliant and should be read - Neil Gaiman shines and reminded me why life was beautiful, but the series isn’t consistently awe-inspiring. My :2cents:

If anybody is a newb and starting out with graphic novels, I’d recommend:

• The Sandman Series

* V for Vendetta

• Watchmen

By the way, although Page One doesn’t have the most fab collection, they pretty much always have a complete set of The Sandman Series.

That might be a good thing. You should not start by reading Volume 1. Preludes and Nocturnes is alright, but it’s a horror story and just doesn’t give any indication of how deep the series is going to get. Start with 2 - The Doll’s House or 5 - A Game of You (which is actually easily read apart from the rest of the series). The Sandman Series is the reason I started to enjoy graphic novels and I followed jimipresley’s advice (he sometimes makes sense) by not reading no. 1 first. When another friend asked me about Sandman, I told her not to start with number 1, but she did anyway and then complained that she thought the series was crap. The idiot! For me, volumes 2, 5, 7 (Brief Lives) and 9 (The Kindly Ones) are sublime. Sandman is something you read more than once. So it’s fine to start reading it by choosing later volumes.

Sandman is brilliant and should be read - Neil Gaiman shines and reminded me why life was beautiful, but the series isn’t consistently awe-inspiring. My :2cents:

If anybody is a newb and starting out with graphic novels, I’d recommend:

• The Sandman Series

* V for Vendetta

• Watchmen

By the way, although Page One doesn’t have the most fab collection, they pretty much always have a complete set of The Sandman Series.[/quote]
Good Grief! You made my day. I have all those books on my bookshelf. I gotta go read them again :slight_smile: .

Often writers only get into the swing of things after a few episodes. They get commissioned to write something, and are only given the go-ahead after a few episodes if the thing is working. Sandman, for example. I love the first book for its historical value to the awesomeness yet to come, but to a casual observer of graphic novels it may seem a little too shallow and cliched.

If you are a fan of the genre, start with the first one. If not, follow ThreadKiller’s advice above.

I would highly recommend The Long Halloween if you’re a Bat-fan. Absolutely fantastic story. Also, Green Lantern: Rebirth was great, if you haven’t read it yet. Or, if you prefer older works, the Iron Man Omnibus 2 is simply fantastic. Loads of Iron Man adventures from the early Marvel years.

I’ve found that the comic selection at the bookstore in Breeze Center is much better than at Page One, for what it’s worth.

Anyone know where to find good comics in Taichung? Or must I come to Taipei to get my fix :frowning: ?